PDA

View Full Version : Stop start on all new 3.0 tdi ?

Gary64
24-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Looking at the brochure via the web, am I right in assuming that all new 3 litre diesel Q7s are fitting with stop/start as standard? If so, that could explain the high price of used Q7s - no-one I know who has had stop/start likes it!

andynpz
24-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Looking at the brochure via the web, am I right in assuming that all new 3 litre diesel Q7s are fitting with stop/start as standard? If so, that could explain the high price of used Q7s - no-one I know who has had stop/start likes it!

I guess your assumption is right - I got to drive the new Touareg at a pre-launch event in June and the V6 TDis were all stop/start, but curiously not the V8 TDis :confused: Seems likely Q7 would be the same.

Like you say, it wasn't much liked - most drivers adapted their driving at junctions etc. to avoid activating the stop/start. I thought it was really irritating when it stopped even though the start was genuinely quick. Why is it that change is never for the better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary64
25-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I guess your assumption is right - I got to drive the new Touareg at a pre-launch event in June and the V6 TDis were all stop/start, but curiously not the V8 TDis :confused: Seems likely Q7 would be the same.

Like you say, it wasn't much liked - most drivers adapted their driving at junctions etc. to avoid activating the stop/start. I thought it was really irritating when it stopped even though the start was genuinely quick. Why is it that change is never for the better!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they'll probably have to make it an option in future. Hopefully other manufacturers will force their hand by exploiting this weakness.

Incidentally, talking of the 4.2 diesel, Lincoln Audi lent me a 4.2 A8, whilst my car was getting some work done. At 1600 rpm, in top gear (8th), it does 86 mph. Ooo-er missus.

andynpz
26-09-2010, 09:50 AM
How different from my Minis in the early sixties - 15mph/1000rpm in top - I longed for a higher gear!

The V8 diesel Touareg was amazingly smooth and quiet, as is the V8 Q7, no doubt. But I decided that for me the V6 is powerful enough...............and an extra £8000 seems a bit rich.

As to the future of stop/start - my guess is that we shall see it spread to all cars. It is a useful tool in reducing the urban consumption on the test cycle, so manufacturers are under pressure to use it

Jam Man
27-09-2010, 01:10 AM
I've driven an A4 and A6 with stop start and in both cars it could be switched off through the on board menu. Therefore not sure that it would affect used prices?

Gary64
27-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I've driven an A4 and A6 with stop start and in both cars it could be switched off through the on board menu. Therefore not sure that it would affect used prices?

Ahhh...didn't know that!

Second hand Q7s - especially those with sat nav, seem to be very expensive. Don't know why.

Jam Man
27-09-2010, 07:14 PM
That's good to hear (as an owner)....

About to put mine on the market for £19.5k

Should be the cheapest S-Line with Technology Pack in the country at that price but it's time to say goodbye to it after 4 years...

Gary64
27-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Should be the cheapest S-Line with Technology Pack in the country at that price but it's time to say goodbye to it after 4 years...

Make sure you state "no canvassers" !

andynpz
27-09-2010, 08:53 PM

You can't leave it there - we'd like to know what you're getting next :D

And £19.5k seems very reasonable even at 4yrs old.

golftouran
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
am expriencing it at the moment as the loan Q7 i have (while my 4.2 is in surgery) is a new v6 start stop is a definate Pain in the backside but you can turn it off so no drama there really

just referring to the comment made above about the 4.2 Q7 2000 rpm in 8th..... 100mph