PDA

View Full Version : daytime running lights

cc170gt
21-09-2010, 08:04 PM
:1zhelp: Hi all ,
Just to ask if anyone know's if 2011 model's come with daytime running lights as standard since it is compulsory on all new cars from february 2011.

cullinp
21-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I would have thought so - the Mrs has a New Polo and that has Daytime Running Lights, which as far as I can tell are just the headlights on full?

So if you can imagine, light control set to off = full headlights (no interior dash illumination), light control set to sidelights = self explanatory, light control set to dipped = self explanatory.

Seems a bit daft to me, and would have much preferred an LED solution a la Audi A4 SLine or the New Polo GTI.

eob
22-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I would have thought so - the Mrs has a New Polo and that has Daytime Running Lights, which as far as I can tell are just the headlights on full?

I think on most VWs (without LEDs) its the main beam at a reduced brightness.
I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
But does that mean that if you buy a new car then disable DRL via VAGCOM you would be in breach of any laws?

cc170gt
22-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I think yes because comes fitted & are mandatory from feb 2011 on all new cars.

thax1
22-09-2010, 07:41 PM
My 2011 model didn't have DRL enabled.

The manual states that 'in certain countries' you can enable them. I think it is done by something like pulling the indicator stalk up, then back, and hold for 3 seconds. Whilst humming 'Deutcheland uber alles', with a strong tailwind, on the third Wednesday in the month.;)

Think that was what it said. Haven't tried it yet.

But yes, strange that all the Golfs I see have them enabled from the factory.

cullinp
22-09-2010, 09:13 PM
My 2011 model didn't have DRL enabled.

The manual states that 'in certain countries' you can enable them. I think it is done by something like pulling the indicator stalk up, then back, and hold for 3 seconds. Whilst humming 'Deutcheland uber alles', with a strong tailwind, on the third Wednesday in the month.;)

Think that was what it said. Haven't tried it yet.

But yes, strange that all the Golfs I see have them enabled from the factory.

Thoughts after your first few days with the car Thax?

Criterian
18-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Just thought I'd attach a quick photo (taken on my iPhone) of my car with some DRL's I fitted a couple of months back.

theoc
18-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I like the look, where did you get the DRL's, and was it a hard job to fit them?

cullinp
18-10-2010, 10:11 PM
The lesser spotted Passat CC - with the current lead times, I was starting to think they didn't exist and were really only a myth!

Nice mod.

vulcan808
18-10-2010, 10:15 PM
They look pretty good, where did you get them from, and what brand are they please.

Criterian
19-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I got these DRL's from http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/daytime-running-lights-pair-p-415.html

Pretty easy to fit: I removed the black plastic fog grills, cut a slot out of them (approx 3cm x 14cm) to fit the lamps, connect the black fused wire to an existing ignition powered fuse in the fuse box, connect the brown wire to an earth connection and the grey wire to the side light power feed.

Took me a couple of hours.

Regards,
Criters.

Criterian
18-11-2010, 06:16 PM
A policeman in a passing patrol car gestured at me and pointed to the front of my car. When I pulled alongside him at the next set of traffic lights I wound down my window to question what he wanted, and he told me to turn off my fog lights. When I said to him that they were not fog lights they were DRL's he said "Oh! ...Well they are very bright. Maybe you should get them checked."

Of course, I just agreed that I would, and we parted company. ;)

I thought the whole idea of them was that they are bright so that you are still seen in bright daylight or sunshine? :confused: Admittedly, it was quite overcast today so may have seemed brighter, but hardly likely to be a dazzle hazard in daylight. It wasn’t even dark enough for the auto lights to switch on!

Continuing my journey I was looking at the other passing cars with LED DRL’s. Mine are certainly not any brighter than theirs, and certainly smaller than most (as you can see from my picture further down this thread). I think he realised his mistake, but felt compelled to say something anyway.

Critters :D