PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy EGR Valve

Mike75
20-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi, can anyone shed any light on where the EGR valve is on my 2.0TDI Mk 5 Golf?I've had the emmission workshop warning light come up and have had it cleared a few times by my local garage, who have advised me to use additive in my diesel for a couple of tanks and this will eventually clean up ant built up carbon deposits in the engine.?? I'mnow looking at having a go at taking the EGR valve off myself and having a go at cleaning it up to see if that works before buying a new one and shelling out garage prices. l've looked at various sites to try and find pics of where to locate it with no joy, anybody willing to advise me,:1zhelp: cheers

phil miller
20-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi, can anyone shed any light on where the EGR valve is on my 2.0TDI Mk 5 Golf?I've had the emmission workshop warning light come up and have had it cleared a few times by my local garage, who have advised me to use additive in my diesel for a couple of tanks and this will eventually clean up ant built up carbon deposits in the engine.?? I'mnow looking at having a go at taking the EGR valve off myself and having a go at cleaning it up to see if that works before buying a new one and shelling out garage prices. l've looked at various sites to try and find pics of where to locate it with no joy, anybody willing to advise me,:1zhelp: cheers

hello mate welcome to the site, did the garage tell you the code at all? a common fault on the 2lt TDI is the flap motor, they can break a plastic arm or get oil on the electronic part, this unit is bolted to the inlet manifold by 3 bolts, and has the EGR pipe bolted to it, from GSF they cost £165 or you can have yours repaired for about £120, as for using additive, yes they do a good job the only one i would recommend is forte diesel treatment, but i dont think this will help with your fault, did the gargae give you this fault code and description 19559 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction? if so it is a common problem and it either nevers repairing or replacing, hope this helps bud

Mike75
21-09-2010, 02:53 PM
hello mate welcome to the site, did the garage tell you the code at all? a common fault on the 2lt TDI is the flap motor, they can break a plastic arm or get oil on the electronic part, this unit is bolted to the inlet manifold by 3 bolts, and has the EGR pipe bolted to it, from GSF they cost £165 or you can have yours repaired for about £120, as for using additive, yes they do a good job the only one i would recommend is forte diesel treatment, but i dont think this will help with your fault, did the gargae give you this fault code and description 19559 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction? if so it is a common problem and it either nevers repairing or replacing, hope this helps bud

Hi Phil,
Thanks for getting back to me mate, the fault code on the printout is 16785 P0401 Exhaust Gas recirculation flow: insufficient detected & 17055 P0671 Cylinder 1 Glow plug circuit -Q10: electrical fault. the fault stays reset for approx 50/60 miles on motorway driving before it reappears, but is coming up more often than that now maybe 25/30miles. The garage sold me an american diesel additive called Justice Brothers Diesel Fuel treatment, which did seem to make a difference at first aswell as filling up on BP Ultimate diesel.
I've been quoted approx £200+ for replacing the ERG but was gonna try and have a go at cleaning it out first:confused:

Mike75
09-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Just a quick update, paid a mobile mechanic to come to myhouse and clean out the EGR valve, It was full of gunk but cleaned up well with brake cleaner, so refitted it and reset code, but the emmisions light came on again after only 10 miles of driving:confused: the guy advised me to take off the rubber vac.hose which draws the plunger up in the egr and blank it with a ball bearing or screw and reset the fault code again. the car did run alot better but the fault came up again after 30 miles of m/way driving,but only when i came off the m/way and was driving slower. where else is the ECU getting the fault reading from any ideas anyone?? after cleaning the EGR do you have to do any other reset/re programming apart from erasing fault codes? thanks mike:1zhelp:

martin1810
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
You can't disable the egr and plug the hose on your car. That will put up a code. The old EGR valves could be cleaned. It is a waste of time cleaning the EGR valve on a 2.0. You need to fit a new one.