PDA

View Full Version : VW Jetta Oil Question please

redtony
20-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi
Long time forum user/watcher in need of help

Im getting oil change but want to buy my own oil... the best oil choices possible.

Car is 2006 VW Jetta 110bhp 1.9 TDI

I got told to get "castrol edge 5-30" saying its fully synthetic and it meets VW spec or 504-507 whatever that means?

Is this just normal oil or is it good fully synthetic stuff. I use to put oil call silkolene in my pug 106 gti and bora tdi all the time.

Any help is appreciated

NickPicks
20-09-2010, 04:38 PM
VW504.00 spec is if you use fixed service intervals of 10,000 miles
VW507.01 spec is for long life service intervals of upto 20,000 miles

Any oil which meets this spec will do for your car. Castrol Edge is what a VW dealer will sell you.

If you're not sure which servicing your car is on, then the service record book will tell you. If you want to use long life intervals, then the car computer will need telling this properly, otherwise it'll think you're on standard intervals.

redtony
21-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I want to use the best oil i can get as im gettin the car remapped soon and want to use FULLY SYNTHETIC. I know the catrol stuff mention is fully synthetic but im after the best like silkolene.

What you recomend

½cwt
30-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Best value VW PD spec oil I've found is Quantum Platinum as sold in VW dealer parts departments, about £26 for 5 litres.

vwcabriolet1971
31-12-2010, 04:47 AM
I want to use the best oil i can get as im gettin the car remapped soon and want to use FULLY SYNTHETIC. I know the catrol stuff mention is fully synthetic but im after the best like silkolene.

What you recomend
As long as the oil meets the relevant specification then the make of oil does not matter . Obviously the oils used and supplied by the manufacturer are more of a known quantity than some of the lesser known brands. But if the oils meet the manufacturer's specifications then they are suitable.

There's no one on this forum that has all the test gear gear and equipment to do back to back oil comparison tests to establish which oil is is "best" ( or is there ?).

The replies you get will be each persons "favourite" oil. If enough members reply you will get the full spectrum across most oil manufacturers.
What makes you think Silkolene is the "best" oil ? What objective conclusive scientific tests have you seen that support this statement ?

lrobertson82
14-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Hello,
Having just recently took ownership of an 09 plate Jetta 2.0 TDI and I am also on the unsure list as what type of oil to use. I am unsure if the car is onlong life service intervals or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards.