PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Smoking

Tou-Andy
19-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I’ve just replaced the engine in my 1.9 diesel golf (non-turbo, 2001, AQM engine) after a failed timing belt wrecked the original one engine and now I’m getting clouds of smoke from the exhaust together with oil spluttering out. Now this all sound pretty terminal to me and suspect that I’ll have to lift the head and see what’s occurring but before I do I need a little help from you folks again. The engine was supposedly a go-er from ebay (yes I know that I should know better, but….), it went in fine and fired up first time and even sounds quite sweet – well as far as a diesel golf can! It runs up to temperature and sits happily ticking over for ages and even at elevated revs (2-3k rpm) and normal exhaust smoke – almost none. However if I drive it just 2 minutes down the road I get clouds of whitish smoke pouring out the back with oil. Now I’m fairly mechanically minded but what mechanism is in play that causes this to happen? Any clues will be appreciated.

phil miller
19-09-2010, 11:24 PM
did you put your manifolds on the engine? have you checked your intake pipes for oil? also is the replacement engine the same engine code as the one you took out? it could be oil in the intake manifold or even the exhaust, when you rev it everything is ok but when you drive it the oil in the exhaust burns off giving the smoke