PDA

View Full Version : Few concerns

johnnyecosse
19-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi all, Just bought a 53 plate 1.9tdi se and I'm discovering a few niggles. Cruise control not working - (clutch or brake switch?). No ESP light - isn't present on ignition. Also there's no glowplug light.

phil miller
19-09-2010, 07:32 PM
hi mate welcome to the site, right if you dont mind me asking where did you buy your car from? the cruise isnt working because you have an esp fault, i would have thought, pay to have a code read done to check this, as for the glow plug light, the dash is of led type ie you cant take a bulb out, i have in the past came across the glow plug led being covered in black silicon so it doesnt show its lit up, the reason i asked where you got it from is because if it came from a car auction it is common for the dash bulbs to be siliconed up so the buyer doesnt see there is a fault, i may be totally wrong but its always worth a check

burkey1
19-09-2010, 09:04 PM
if it came from a car auction it is common for the dash bulbs to be siliconed up so the buyer doesnt see there is a fault

Jesus... you just cant be up to some people.. Just when you think you have heard it all..

Hope its not the case with you johnnyecosse...

phil miller
20-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Jesus... you just cant be up to some people.. Just when you think you have heard it all..

Hope its not the case with you johnnyecosse...

I know it's scary some of the tricks they do now, I've had 2 tdi golfs that have been idling at about 1100 rpm and have found metal brackets on the throttle pedal to hold the revs so you don't hear the dual mass flywheel rattling, also a favorite is to block the head tank hose with a small peice of round wood, fill the header tank with clean anti freeze to cover up a blown head gasket, and that's just a few of the dodgy tricks around, but the silicon one is without doubt the most annoying because untill you find out something isn't working right you don't seem to notice the ign lights

johnnyecosse
20-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I bought it from a large independant car dealer in Blackburn. Who possibly got it from a market. When you talk about silicon is it behind the symbols or in front of them if you know what I mean. I can still see the symbols there on dash. Also, on closer inspection the cluster has definitely been out as there's a small chip out of dash and corresponding trim. I'm also not 100% sure of mileage upon closer inspection - seems the car was not MOTD for 9 months this year and has only covered under 4k since Dec2008. The alarm bells are starting to ring. Problem is it's a fantastic car and I'd like to keep it. Trip to Audi coming up methinks.

5up3rman
20-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey guy

Ok i'm not gonna be able to give any technical advice but....

-can i ask how much you got the car for??

-if you bought it from a big dealer by law they have to give you i think 3 months warranty....please correct if i'm wrong.
so if anythign talk to and take it back to them first.

-The dealer will basically test your flexibility and see if you can grab your ankles.
If you love the car and you think you can live with the few niggles, then use it and run for a couple more years.

If the place you got it from does not honour the warranty then keep at 'em.
also try and calculate the potential costs, 2 hours with Audi is gonna cost you £200 odd before they've even got round to changing anything.

The muppets wanted to charge me £60 to change an interior light bulb!

johnnyecosse
20-09-2010, 05:29 PM
The car was just under 6k. Problem is I'm in Scotland and they are in Blackburn - 3 hours away. That's why I might put it into Audi up here and take it from there. Warranty is "28 days internal breakdown on engine and gearbox only". Diagnostic check is £47 at Audi. I can't live without ESP because I might need it one day.

phil miller
20-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I bought it from a large independant car dealer in Blackburn. Who possibly got it from a market. When you talk about silicon is it behind the symbols or in front of them if you know what I mean. I can still see the symbols there on dash. Also, on closer inspection the cluster has definitely been out as there's a small chip out of dash and corresponding trim. I'm also not 100% sure of mileage upon closer inspection - seems the car was not MOTD for 9 months this year and has only covered under 4k since Dec2008. The alarm bells are starting to ring. Problem is it's a fantastic car and I'd like to keep it. Trip to Audi coming up methinks.

It will be behind the dash, so it can't be seen, you have to strip the dash down but it's only about 6 screws then lift the printed ciruit board and you can then see if it's been got at or not

warp_speed
20-09-2010, 06:03 PM
where abouts in scotland are you, someone near by might have a vagcom to read the codes and tell you what the problems are.... if any ;-)

johnnyecosse
21-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm in Ayrshire and willing to travel.

warp_speed
21-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm in Ayrshire and willing to travel.

You're a bit far from me, I'm in bathgate west lothian

johnnyecosse
21-09-2010, 10:29 AM
It's a bit closer than Blackburn though. As I say, I'm willing to travel.

warp_speed
21-09-2010, 12:10 PM
It's a bit closer than Blackburn though. As I say, I'm willing to travel.

Well if you feel like a trip up to Bathgate I'll be very happy to bring out the vagcom and read any fault codes your car might have. There are a few in Scotland with vagcom facilities, there is a list on the forum which details people. I think there might actually be some people in Ayr, you can always give them a bell. I'm sure they'll help you out as well. Will see if I can find you the list, saves the petrol. :approve:

warp_speed
21-09-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5319

Eshrules
21-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Do not spam your post count for PM access.