PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc brake noise

panos.v
15-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Morning all,

I have a small problem with the rear disc brakes of my A4 (96). When braking everything is fine, no pulling, no noises, etc. However, once I release the brake pedal and drive off there is a scrapping noise from the rear discs.

I put the car up on the jack yesterday and when I spin the rear wheel by hand I get this scrapping noise. If I grab the wheel and wiggle it left/right and then spin the wheel again by hand, the noise stops and the wheel spins more freely. If I tap the brake pedal to stop the wheel, then spin the wheel again by hand the noise returns and I can tell there is some drag as the wheel stops quicker now.

This happens on both rear wheels. Does this look like brake pads not being fitted properly? I would think that it is quite unlikely that it would happen on both wheels, plus that I haven't had the brake pads replaced. Or is there some other problem and the rear brakes do not release properly?

Another thing I'm wondering is if the handbrake has anything to do with it. Is the handbrake using the rear discs or is there a secondary system there on a 1996 A4?

Coincidence or not...I noticed the noise recently and
1) the car was serviced a 5 weeks ago
2) the rear tyres were replaced 4 weeks ago
3) the weather was hot enough to drive with the windows open (the noise is audible only with the windows open) in the last 4 weeks

Normally, given 1 and 2 I'd say the garage did something dodgy, either not fitting the pads properly after removing them for inspection for 1 (but then they put the front pads back correctly) or not tightening the wheels after 2. Would under/over tightening of the wheel bolts cause something like this?

But given 3 I am not sure, plus I've used the garage for a few years and they are always good, helpful and have never made any mistakes or tried to overcharge or force things on me.

I booked the car in with them for next week but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas before I take it there.

Thanks for any insights.

PATRIOT
07-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Your bearing is about to break down! In a few Km you will star listening to that strange bearing rolling noice!

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
This happens on both rear wheels. Does this look like brake pads not being fitted properly? I would think that it is quite unlikely that it would happen on both wheels,

I would say so!

Is it metal to metal scrapping?

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
EDIT, Just noticed the date. It's months old.