PDA

View Full Version : A4 2003 2.0 FSI Misfiring

stevefoggy
18-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Got an A4 2.0 FSI sport and has recently developed a misfire/judder/stutter whatever you want to call it.

Accelerate in 1st fine, then in second sometimes dvelops stuutter at 2000rpm or 3ooo rpm, then 3rd stutter could be at 2000rpm or 3000rpm and sometimes even in 5th on the motorway at 70mph it will give an occasional kick back.

Not sure what this is but it is driving me NUTS!!:zx11:

Any suggestions only just had it serviced (oil, filter, air filter and pollen filter) (didnt change plugs as they d been in 2 yrs and done 15k miles and where bosch long life plugs)

Help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks Steve

bez101
18-09-2010, 03:46 PM
does your EM light flash when u get the missfire ?

stevefoggy
18-09-2010, 07:09 PM
no lights come on, on the dash whatsoever

bez101
18-09-2010, 08:29 PM
have you checkd the plugs ?

5up3rman
18-09-2010, 09:29 PM
i think you need to get it scanned.
something like that is more than likely to throw back some fault codes.
at least it will help get you answers from the guys in here.

robstokie
19-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I have the same issue with my golf,got it scanned,no codes,it's driving me insane and I'm seriously thinking of selling this car even though I've had it a month.I've changed the plugs,coils and cleaned throttle,for me it must be fuelling,but don't know how to check,I may bite the bullet and take it to ********!!

stevefoggy
19-09-2010, 04:04 PM
it's only been happening since it was serviced. Thought it could be one of 3 things.

1) plugs as 2yrs old and 15k old
2) coil pack
3) clutch as it s quite high (hope not):aargh4:

Martin F
23-09-2010, 11:15 AM
It won't be a clutch; think about it how could a clutch cause a mis-fire?

I went through this with my 2.0FSI and it turned out to be one of the injectors blocked. Do a search for my posts.

However I would advise that you start by changing the coils and plugs for new and then go from there.

RickT
23-09-2010, 12:08 PM
It could be.

A dodgy coil pack -
(this can occur and not record in the ECU.) Its only when it get really bad it logs.)

A split vacum hose (at the back of the engine.) -- This is common and will cause flat spots and misfire. Again this does not always generate an error.

Try buying 1 coil, replace it with cylinder 1 and test, if error still present, move new coil to cylinder 2 and put back the original coil into 1.

Follow this process untill you have put the new coil in each cylinder and test. This is a cheap method of testing rather than buying 4 coil packs when investigating the issue.
(if 1 pack has gone down or playing up, replace all 4 as i have found they all last around the same time.)

To locate the vacuum hose, look at the rear centre of the engine bay next to the bulk head, then look to the right around 5 inchs.

The will see a thin rubber hose is a bend in it.. check this is not leaking as these are common. to test, get someone to rev the engine and listen for a hiss of air and have a feel.

Rick