PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Newbie questions

jonomitch87
18-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi,

As the title suggests I am new to the forum and new to the VAG world. I recently got rid of my 2007 Focus ST-3 280bhp due to a 60 mile round trip to work and the painful £300 a month fuel bill. I now have a Audi A4 B7 S-line 1.9tdi 115bhp 55 plate with 50k on it. Before buying the car I read that it would do 49mpg average and nearly 60mpg extra urban.

I have just used my first tank of fuel and got 535miles (40 miles left in tank) to £72 which is only 39mpg. I mostly drive on motorways, very rearly go over 75mph and acclerate at a steady rate to speed. I do work in sheffield and for those that know the area its traffic light central, but I only drive about a mile to work from the motorway.

My friend has a A4 B6 1.9tdi 130 remapped to 155bhp and avarges 650 miles driving much less careful and has got 750+ on trips to scotland from doncaster.

I also have a friend with A4 B6 2.5T V6 TDi and he drives only round town (like hes at brands hatch) and averages 35mpg

What am I doing wrong? or is my car a dud?

The only thing I can think of is that the car, before I had it, was used to do short runs to the shops and it hasnt adapted to my driving yet.........friends have suggested a re-map as that would suit my driving style more and take less effort for the car increasing MPG and/or to rev the car higher becuase I change too early making the car work harder.

Sorry for the rant but this has really annoyed me :zx11: and am seriously thinking about selling it after 2 weeks ownership. Any advice welcome

Cheers

Jono

Ben
18-09-2010, 04:42 PM
i'd be pleased with 535 out of a tank on normal driving. I get roughly that. As the price of fuel varies, there is no point quoting how much you spent, 10 years ago, 70 quids worth of fuel wouldn't of fitted in your tank. Only 2 things stay constant, the size of your tank and the size of a litre. Your car isn't a dud. Have you completley reset the dis? The press and hold the small button on the underside of the right hand indicator stalk, then allow some time for the car to adapt.

jonomitch87
18-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your reply, I dont have a DIS at the moment I only have miles to empty due to it been a S-Line and not fitted as a option, although I am due to have this fitted next week.

big jase
21-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your reply, I dont have a DIS at the moment I only have miles to empty due to it been a S-Line and not fitted as a option, although I am due to have this fitted next week.

hi can i ask how much your paying to have your dis fitted?

bez101
21-09-2010, 08:41 PM
and by who ?

Maximus2k3
22-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a 1.9TDi Saloon SE, 05 with 57k and generally average ~50mpg. I can get 650 miles on a tank with reasonable driving. Having said that, I live in the far north of Scotland - my commute to work is 13 miles of A-Road so generally around 60mph. I also take the occasional trip back down to my home-town in Yorkshire and get comparable results.

Incidentally, I only have 5 gears as well, and tend to use the Cruise Control (I'm aware of the debate on hoe CC can effect mpg, or not!)

I would say 39mpg might be a bit on the low side, but there are other factors that of course can account for this.

James05
23-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Jono,

Without wishing to sound patronising (I know, this means it probably will!), have you modified your driving style to suit a diesel ?

I remember a few years ago when I went from driving fully expensed petrol company cars to running my own diesel - it took a few tanks before I 'clicked' and got how to get a better mpg...

I'm guessing as well that you are most likely missing the performance of the ST....fantastic cars - and if it wasn't for the fact that the fuel consumption is 'interesting' at the best of times and the insurance was over twice what my A4 2.0TFSI costs I may well have been tempted....

Oh, and welcome to the forum :beerchug:
James

5up3rman
23-09-2010, 11:00 AM
i got a 2001 B6 A4 saloon 1.8T (PETROL)
remapped to 190bhp

Having owned it for almost 4 months now.
i'd say that i get something in the region of 36-38 mpg average.
Thats brilliant as far as i'm concerned.
I do mostly motorway driving to and from work
about 7 miles of my total journey is B roads which are a total and utter nightmare in the area that i live (NW London).
My driving style is generally conservative and smooth, as i dont really need to rush around.
However this morning i did have to humiliate a 323 BMW, it just had to be done!

I don't really worry about the MPG that much to be honest as i know that in a week of driving i usually spend £25 and thats the money thing as far as i'm concerned. and the fact i don't have to use Satan's fuel!

:biglaugh:

jonomitch87
30-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all your replys.

# I had the DIS fitted by Shark Performance in Mansfield, £150

#The car has also been remapped by Shark (£275) and now running approx 150BHP and after getting used to the diesel am now getting around 650-700 miles to the tank :o).......for anyone thinking about a remap, totally recommended, the car is so different and so much nicer to drive as the engine no longer struggles.

Cheers

Jono

James05
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Good news about your mpg - 650 miles from 60litres is about 49mpg !

I'm happy if I get more than 400miles from 65ish litres.... :o