PDA

View Full Version : Re-map or Chip the 80 Tdi...

acmo
16-09-2010, 02:35 PM
anyone had any luck with doing this, a mate has vag_com and has re-mapped skoda Tdi PD to a successful 170bhp

I assume these ecu's are a little different but just wondered the best way of opening the old girl up a little, wouldnt mind seeing a little wisp of smoke when i punch it! :approve:

scotty33
04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I think a chip change is required on the 1Z, but may differ by year?

You might consider the 'evry' mod, seems like something of a DIY tuning box

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49189&highlight=evry

I think you will be stuck at approx 110-115hp with the standard injectors, 110 hp model injectors are bigger, biggest come from the 2.5L 155hp VW T4 Van. If you need more Kerma may have something?

Tobster
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I have two 80 TDIs. I have a good MTDI conversion on one and the evry mod on the other.

The evry mod gives you noticeably more power above 2k rpm at the expense of irritating instability at low revs (and I don't mean at idle; I mean 45mph normal driving in 5th; with the only fix being to change down a gear). You can feel that the computer is doing its' best to respond to fudged data.

My first MTDI pump was basically a Peugeot 306 pump with the shaft and cam plate from the 80's stock pump, and was a pile of crap; just couldn't deliver enough fuel. But on the other hand drove and started fine and was very economical.

I've just had a second pump built; basically a Discovery TDI pump with the 80's cam plate. This combined with raising the turbo boost pressure to a sensible 1.3 bar and bloody hell is it quick! I've no idea what the figure would be but I could keep up with my brothers' 3.0 V6 Jag S-Type up to 85 mph (on a private runway of course!). Turbo sound is very satisfying if you lose the stock airbox also.

So in conclusion, I'm on the lookout for another Discovery TDI pump for my other 80. I can't make any better comment on ECU remaps other than to point out the fact that computers and electrical sensors weren't particularly good 16 years ago. The 1Z does not need all that electrical nonsense to be an extremely good engine!

scotty33
11-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like this MTDi route is something to consider!
Just curious, but is the 'Evry mod' you are using the same as the design in the link posted above? I ask because earlier versions of the mod were basically a resistor across the two wires and could give shudder type problems if the resistance was too low..

Tobster
11-10-2010, 10:19 PM
It is yeah; to be honest I felt everything I read about it had been a bit blown out of proportion so thought I may have resistor-to-earthed the wrong pin, but I tested all of the others and only had peculiarities/limp home mode.
It's just the 8 pin connector though and most vehicles it's done to are the later 10-pin type.

Is there a better way to do it?

[Edit] Ah wait no it isn't (have just read the link). I've literally connected pins 2 (earth) and 3 (fuel temp sensor) with a 1.5kOhm resistor and turned the resistance down until there was minor shudder.

I have to lol at the comment about diesel not burning unless the ECU tells it to! People don't half talk s*** on the internet sometimes.

I should point out that it's harder to get a clean tune with an MTDI setup because there are only two ways to control fuel delivery; the more effective maximum quantity adjuster and the minorly effective boost compensator. Any serious tune will likely produce a lot of off-boost smoke.