PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox question

5up3rman
16-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Got a 2002 A4 B6 1.8T manual.
Noticed recently that especially when car is cold, it's a bit of a problem getting
it into 1st and 2nd gears.
Can you replace and or change gearbox fluid/oil in these cars?
a mechanic told me that it is a self sealed system and does not need to be changed.
is this true?
would a change in oil/fluid help with my lil problem?

nevo
16-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Your problem could be anything from worn syncro's/worn selector forks/worn clutch not disengaging totally,yes you can change the oil, may help whats the mileage?

5up3rman
16-09-2010, 12:44 PM
mileage is 80500.
had the car for 3000 miles.
once the car is warm then all is ok, changes up and down no problem.

whats the cheapest thing to start looking at?

nevo
16-09-2010, 12:57 PM
At 80k should be ok,but one never knows the true mileage of a secondhand car,obviously when the gearbox oil is warm its viscosity is better,certainly the oil change option is the cheapest ,whats it like changing from reverse into first quickly? also is the gear linkage sloppy?

5up3rman
16-09-2010, 01:14 PM
well i usually have the car in 1st gear parked in the morning.
i start up with foot on the clutch and will then go into reverse, and i never really thought about it but it moves through just fine. never noticed a problem.
i'm not really sure what you mean by gear linkage (sorry), but if you mean do they slot in and out properly and cleanly then yes.
it's just in the first few mins of starting up a problem with 1st and 2nd.

How easy is it to change gearbox oil?
can a relative novice do it

nevo
16-09-2010, 01:44 PM
You've answered my question,the gear change's are nice and slick not like stirring a bowl of porridge! the reason I asked you to do a quick gearchange from reverse to first was to see if you got any crunching of gears,anyway I would take it to one of the major chains for the oil change you need a tool to fit the drain plus its no fun on you back under the car.

5up3rman
16-09-2010, 02:50 PM
okie dokie.
may hold out until the next service then to do something like that.
otherwise it's like ******* away £75-£100 for nothing

nevo
16-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Not really try national tyre's they've had some good deals on engine oil change's lately using castrol edge,might not be as dear as you think!

5up3rman
16-09-2010, 03:07 PM
ok will try giving them a ring to see what they can offer.
Cheers