PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1.8t engine problem (stuck engine)

coyleben
14-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi, im a mechanically minded person and fix my own cars normally but this one is beyond me so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Right here goes (2000 golf 1.8t gti 150bhp standard)

I was driving the car on sunday evening when it just died on me after running perfectly without any problems or noises, warning lamps etc whatsoever.

I rolled it to the side of the road and tried to restart it, it turned over but didnt sound right on turnover, sort of faster and quiter than normal, i tried 3 or 4 times and eventually it turned over and just jammed to the point where it just clicks on the starter, i left the car and towed it home, didnt try to bump it incase it caused more damage

Anyway the obvious thing i thought would be cambelt failure, but its not broken, i tried rotating the engine on the camshaft pulley, it rotated slightly so i then tried turning it over on the key and again turned over but then jammed, and thats where we are now! i have removed the cambelt cover and rocker cover to check for anything obvious to no success, everything seems fine!

i am really confused as to what the problem could be, i did not let the car run out of oil so i cant have seized due to lack of oil, that would have made a loud noise and would not turn over at all.

Any help or advice on what to try and do to diagnose the issue would be great

Thanks very much for looking

Ben

zollaf
14-09-2010, 08:11 PM
check the belt hasnt slipped a few teeth, and that the belt itself hasnt lost any teeth. if it has, the bare patch will usually be around the crank pulley.
welcome to the forum as well.

coyleben
14-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks, If it had slipped or wore off teeth would the valves and pistons have collided on this engine? whats the best and most economical way to repair?

Cheers Ben

zollaf
14-09-2010, 09:47 PM
first thing to do is to line up the timing marks and make sure it has or has not slipped. the engine will suffer valve damage if the belt goes.

coyleben
17-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi, took it apart today, belt slipped off bottom pulley before i got a chance to check the alignment! belt itself does not look damaged but i did find a piece of mangled plastic down there with teeth marks on! if i turn the crankshaft over manually it turns and then hits something and then stops, u recon this is bent valves?

Next step head off?
Thanks Ben