PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wiper problems

ALF_A4
14-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I bought an 05 Plus for my wife a few months ago, and we both love the car, but it has one serious annoyance - the wipers! The wipers were pretty worn and scraping nastily so I bought some of these:

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/products/detail/valeo-silencio-xtrm-vm401-flat-windscreen-wiper-blades-2-x-28-inch/

As I have the equivalent product on my A4 and they have been absolutely silent. However, on the Plus they have just made things worse. I have tried cleaning the screen with normal car shampoo, with glass cleaner, and with car glass polish, and nothing seems to help - the blades make a load of noise and struggle to complete the sweep. They often start OK in light rain but after some more use they start to make noise - and they will shut up for a few seconds if you use the washers (filled with Halfords screenwash - again what I always use) but soon start up again.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Naturally I'm getting the blame and I'm happy to buy some Bosh or other wipers but I can't believe the wipers are at fault... I had hoped it was just some weird finish on the screen from when the car was valeted prior to us buying it but 4 months later it clearly is not.

bmcqueen
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I had quite a lot of noise before I changed my blades. I replaced witnh VW originals and no noise now. However I have noticed that my windscreen has been badly scratched by the old blades.