PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Bora Oil warning light

jmcinerney01@ei
14-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Oil warning light (yellow) comes on when ignition is switched on, mechanic (not VW) said it was oil level sensor and changed sensor. Oil lamp is still on although it was reset using a hand held diagnostic unit (not laptop). Does it need to be reset with "Ross Tech" program.
Diagnostic gadget says; "oil level ok (not ok)" ??
PS; Bora 2001

RickT
14-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Im sure you have covered the basics first.. Yellow mean warning and RED is STOP..

Yellow normally means low oil... not empty.. . or as you say it could be the oil sensor..

if its been reset by a universal code reader, thats as good as vag-com..

However if you got it onto VAG you could see which fault code which has been reported to investigate further..

RicKT

jmcinerney01@ei
15-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi,
thanks for that Rick, the mechanic checked the oil pressure, its ok and the level may have been low when the warning came originally, but the oil has been changed when the sensor was changed and levelis definatly ok. Warning comes on when ignition is switched on, before engine is even running, it gives a "ping" sound and then a steady yellow light. Will try to get VAG program to see in more detail,
thanks again, John Mc.

Eshrules
15-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi,
thanks for that Rick, the mechanic checked the oil pressure, its ok and the level may have been low when the warning came originally, but the oil has been changed when the sensor was changed and levelis definatly ok. Warning comes on when ignition is switched on, before engine is even running, it gives a "ping" sound and then a steady yellow light. Will try to get VAG program to see in more detail,
thanks again, John Mc.

if you're unable to get a vagcom lead (which is actually often cheaper than a portable scanner) you can get a handheld scanner which will read codes for you, for around £30. depending on where you live, there might be someone who can help you, i live in stalybridge.

scouse-john
15-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi,

I had a similar prob on my golf 1.8 t a little while ago, oil light came on (orange), checked oil - low so topped up to mark on dipstick. Oil light reamined on , changed oil pressure sensor - no change light still on, changed oil level sensor - no change light still on. Unable to switch it off with vag.com. Eventually as a last resort I disconnected the battery for one minute, reconnected it and bingo, light is out, if only I'd done that before replacing the sensors!! :D