PDA

View Full Version : S Tronic - EM brake / Auto P / Clutch question

scoobmw
13-09-2010, 10:55 PM
OK, new to Automatics. New to Audis. So here follows nube question.

When sitting at lights say, which of these is effectively holding the car on the clutch?

1. EM brake on, car in D mode, foot off brake
2. EM brake on, car in D mode, foot ON brake
(not sure if foot on brake tells the gadget stuff o get ready or something)
3. EM brake off, car in D mode, foot on brake (I assume this is)
4. EM brake off, car in P mode, foot on brake (I assume this isn't).

In summary I'm trying to understand what the best way of getting going is (don't mean 0-60 stuff - it is a diesel after all), but the best way from minimum number of buttons/levers you have to press/move and not wearing the clutch by 'holding' it.

Coming from a manual world of Subaru Impreza's, where it's as simple as clutch in , handbrake on. Let clutch out when want to go.
Somehow seems more complicated with thee gadgets, but then I've only had the car one evening.

B8 TDI
13-09-2010, 11:26 PM
If it helps, the EM Brake will release automatically when you start moving, no need to manually hit the button to release it.

So, when EM Brake is on, car in D mode and foot off brake, simply hit the accelerator and the EM Brake should release. and off you go

scoobmw
13-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Helps build the picture thanks.

So before using the Accelerator, is the car being held on the clutch does anyone know ?

Still reading the manual ....

penrecon
17-09-2010, 09:44 AM
OK, new to Automatics. New to Audis. So here follows nube question.

When sitting at lights say, which of these is effectively holding the car on the clutch?

1. EM brake on, car in D mode, foot off brake
2. EM brake on, car in D mode, foot ON brake
(not sure if foot on brake tells the gadget stuff o get ready or something)
3. EM brake off, car in D mode, foot on brake (I assume this is)
4. EM brake off, car in P mode, foot on brake (I assume this isn't).

In summary I'm trying to understand what the best way of getting going is (don't mean 0-60 stuff - it is a diesel after all), but the best way from minimum number of buttons/levers you have to press/move and not wearing the clutch by 'holding' it.

Coming from a manual world of Subaru Impreza's, where it's as simple as clutch in , handbrake on. Let clutch out when want to go.
Somehow seems more complicated with thee gadgets, but then I've only had the car one evening.

Automatic transmissions are designed to be left in D, held by foot or parking brake, so the clutch wil not be subject to wear in the way that a manual would be by holding it on the clutch.

In the case of the A4 using hill hold is the simplest way, as it will engage and release automatically, this being done by applying power, so there's no need to do anything other than press the loud pedal. Having said that most of the time I drive as I have other automatics and just use the footbrake.