PDA

View Full Version : Replace waterpump along with cambelt?

Possu
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Getting my cambelt replaced on Monday (1997 1.9 TDi on 120,000 miles), I've asked for all the tensioners to be replaced along with the cambelt also. Mentioned it to a mate today, he said I ought to replace the waterpump at the same time as it acts as a tensioner in it's own right?

Anyone able to confirm this please?

Chipped2
12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Yes, replace waterpump at 120k. The reason is that it is driven by the cambelt which will have to be removed again if the waterpump fails during the next 60k.

You should only be charged for the waterpump and new antifreeze as you are already paying for most of the preparatory work to be done.

Also replace the Auxilliary belt and the Power Steering belt as there is no point in refitting the old belts. (approx £20)

At the next cambelt change at 180k it is a good idea to have the Al;ternator freewheeling pulley replaced as these can partially seize throwing off the belt and snapping it.

Use VW parts as they are very reasonably priced, guaranteed to fit and often cheaper that aftermarket belts etc.:approve:

Possu
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I'll get the waterpump & extra belts changed at the same time. Thanks again. :beerchug:

creedxup
13-09-2010, 10:18 AM
The waterpump is not driven by the cambelt (timing belt).

The cambelt drives the balancer shaft, diesel pump and camshaft.

The coolant pump is driven by the auxiliary belt.

yaman
13-09-2010, 04:29 PM
With both types of engine, early and late,
it is good practice to replace the water pump.

Regards
Jim