PDA

View Full Version : S3 - ESP light

Nuggs
21-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Folks,

I have a 01' S3 with 30k on the clock. I have recently been experiencing difficulties with the ESP light coming on at intermittent times. Some journeys it never happens, the next it does. I dont have to be spinning or driving hard, it just comes on. If I switch of ignition and restart, the sytem check shows 'OK' and the light then does not illuminate.

I want to avoid the usual rip off by Audi so any help/advise out there?

:1zhelp:

phillig_s3
06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Alrite mate, this fault sounds familiar as I have the same problem with my 01' s3! I first had it looked at by my local auto electrician, who diagnosed it as a faulty brake light switch, so got that sorted at little expense, but after a couple of months the problem re occurred!! Took it back to him but he was unable to diagnose any further faults, so I took it down to my local audi main dealer, who cleared the faults but told me that if the light comes back on it will need a new lateral acceleration sensor. They quoted a price fitted of "wait for it" £610.30, they said the sensor alone was about £424!!!
At the moment I've still got the fault but I'm trying to locate a second hand sensor, but as of yet I'm not having much luck. If anybody knows of any good Vw/audi breakers or anywhere that might be able to get me a replacement sensor then let me know.

Hopefully this info is of some use to you mate.:(

Nuggs
06-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Many thanks for that bad news!

Thats what I get for having a nice car. I'm buying a Corsa or something next!

As it happens folks, I just got it plugged into a Bosch diagnostic machine at my local garage - It found two faults both coded 058F - Lateral acceleration Circuit Board defective.

I nearly fell over. I got them cleared, but it came on again today. No odd braking or lurching in one direction as others have suggested with similar faults but its a damn pest!

Looks like I'm away to be robbed of a few hundred samolians!

:aargh4:

Nuggs
10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
My local dealer phoned mechanics at Audi who hadnt heard of the fault code or fault before. (I bet if you put it into them for mega bucks per hour they would have!)

Anyway, due to this I have taken it upon myself to order a sensor. At least I can rule it out if the problem continues. I wont tell you what I got it for until it is paid for and fitted but lets say its considerably less than you got estimated phillig!!!!!

Will let you know the outcome after Wednesday (d-day) !

phillig_s3
11-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Well if it cures the problem that will be a bonus!! You will have to let me know where you got the part from and how much for if all is o/k. Will wait to see what you have to say after wednesday then.

Nuggs
13-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Phillig,

Bad news mate. It didnt work! Got the new lateral acceleration sensor (basically a hole new accel pedal including sensor) and had it fitted.

I was a little pesimistic and rightfully so, the light just came on. Same problem, for no apparent reason.

It only cost £50.61 which worked out at £97 fitted. Lot less than £610 as you were quoted. prpblem is, its still not fixed it!

The car is booked into a purely electronic engineer firm on Tuesday who apparently have better software than Audi and deal with German motors too.

I hate technology! Have to find a Chevette or something on e-bay next!

:zx11:

Nuggs
23-04-2006, 10:45 AM
The Bosch auto electricians couldnt find the cure either. I watched them interogate the system both ESp and ABS but no fault codes of '058F' are listed.

They basically gave up stating they could find no cure. I was rather dismaid with this attitude but surely there is someone out there on this site who has access or can find out how to rectify a fault code of this nature???????????????????:zx11:

phillig_s3
25-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Nuggs,
Still unable to solve the problem! Modern technology!!
I think the sensor that I was quoted for (@£610 fitted), was not the sensor on the accel pedal it was a sensor on either the suspension or steering measuring forces acting on the car(in case a wheel lifts off the ground or such like). Apparently there is one that measures side to side(lateral) and one front to back (maybe thats why the price was different??). A breakers yard that I contacted referred to it as a "yo" sensor (after also wrongly thinking that it was the actual accel pedal sensor). I'm still trying to locate a second hand one but not having much luck!!
Perhaps that could be your next line of attack?? I don't know if you use main dealers but the one where I took mine diagnosed the fault at no cost, and they gave me the part number of the sensor required.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Nuggs
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM
No thanks to anybod out there, with exception of Phillig, I feel it is my moral duty to advise others how I have solved this one.

Those who had access to the info, or had the knowledge and didnt share it, should be ashamed of yourselves!

It is information like this which makes the rip off dealers stay off our doors and simple solves more accessible. For those in the above category, I hope you get a niggle and cant solve it!

Anyway, Phillig, the old S3 had to visit an Audi dealer and they suggested the following. Now it will sound strange, and I have no idea how they are linked to the ESp but I have to take the experts advice as gospel.

They replaced the Post Cat Lambda Probe
(Part No. 06A906262BB/3406695LAMBDAOR)

At a cost of £170 fitted it is worth a go in. It appears to have fixed the issue with my car.

Good luck and thank you for your input into my problem. You should be proud as you were the only one kind enough.

hamski
14-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Just read this thread after much searching for answers, so thanks for what appears to be the solution. Am I safe to keep driving the car until I can get it replaced?

Nuggs
15-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey, no probs. Thats what these forums are for! Shame hardly anyone bothered when I asked for help.

Anyway, so long as you are not experiencing some issues like others appear to (ie vehicle lurching one side or the other or diving in either direction) then i would suggest you are. My problem only affected the light and not any handling. If it affects the car in any other way then I would prevent using it until remedied.

hamski
15-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I spoke to Audi Bristol today. They want to know if the probe is in front of the cat or behind it. What am I looking for?

Nuggs
17-06-2006, 10:14 AM
They replaced the following;

Post Cat Lambda Probe (Part No. 06A906262BB/3406695LAMBDAOR)

The 'post' part presumably means after the cat which would be nearer the tail pipe.

Hopefully they can confirm using the part number.

Good luck.

mmdonloaf
19-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Alrite mate, this fault sounds familiar as I have the same problem with my 01' s3! I first had it looked at by my local auto electrician, who diagnosed it as a faulty brake light switch, so got that sorted at little expense, but after a couple of months the problem re occurred!! Took it back to him but he was unable to diagnose any further faults, so I took it down to my local audi main dealer, who cleared the faults but told me that if the light comes back on it will need a new lateral acceleration sensor. They quoted a price fitted of "wait for it" £610.30, they said the sensor alone was about £424!!!
At the moment I've still got the fault but I'm trying to locate a second hand sensor, but as of yet I'm not having much luck. If anybody knows of any good Vw/audi breakers or anywhere that might be able to get me a replacement sensor then let me know.

Hopefully this info is of some use to you mate.:(

I find All Audi in Bristol are pretty good, www.allaudi.co.uk

phillig_s3
22-06-2006, 03:30 AM
I was told that when the ESP light is illuminated (by the fault) then the ESP system would be disabled (as if switched off manually). The dealer just advised me to be extra careful when driving it with the light on, because it would'nt try to rectify itself if traction was lost. I've still got to get the fault rectified on my car (hopefully the above remedy will work for me as well!!), but I can't say there is any difference in the car when driving normally.

lodinisr
01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi there,

I read this thread with interest as my S3 has a similar fault. The ABS and ESP lights both come on intermittantly. As described above, it is completely random when they come on, but when they do, they will stay on until I turn off the ignition and turn it back on again.

However, above there is no mention of the ABS light coming on with the ESP light... can you confirm whether this was the case or not?

Your help is much appreciated.

Rob

hamski
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Mine had both come on sometimes. It was traced to a ABS sensor - they sussed it out with VAG-COM

Froggy
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Didn't see this thread earlier, sorry - My old S3 did this when it was virtually new. The dealer reset the system twice then replaced one of the sensors, but I don't know which one.

There are a number of sensors used by the ESP system - a Pitch sensor (Backward forward angle of attack), a Yaw sensor (The turning or sideways twisting force), the ABS for monitoring the revolutionary speed of each wheel, a steering geometry sensor (which way is the steering wheel pointing), and I think also throttle position sensor. (Its fly by wire on the S3 so not so sure that's relevant to all models)

If any of these give duff information, that can't be correlated with the other sensor inputs, (e.g. the steering sensor says your trying to turn left, but the yaw sensor and abs say your travelling in a straight line) it will eventually disable the ESP and up comes your warning light.

I really don't know why the lambda probe would have any bearing on the ESP, unless it was causing the main ECU to feed duff throttle info into the system?

Nuggs
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
while back now but as I recall the ABS light never activiated. Only the ESP. It was one of the sensors that caused the fault, again I cant remember but they were all tried with no long term fix until the dearest one was replaced. (The lambda probe did fix it but not for long). This cured it once and for all. It was about £500 I think. I no longer have the car and have no paperwork to confirm which one it was. Sorry.