PDA

View Full Version : SatNav Plus

shake
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Hello
Just bought a 2005 a3 with satnav plus and would like help with the telly.

There seems to be no telly. When I press the source button the only options on screen are CD or mp3. Was the telly an option? Would it be possible to retro fit a telly module or whatever. I was also wondering as now we are totally digital in the Liverpool area are digital telly upgrades available.

Finall any advice on upgrading the navigation software and maps. My DVD is dated 2006.

Sorry if these are silly questions.:1zhelp:

Ps the car has done 65,000 miles. Would it be worth getting the cambelt done. On the Audi website they are quoting £348 all in.

Mike Foster
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry to disappoint but the 'telly' isn't a TV receiver, just a display screen !

Wouldn't do to have TV within sight of the driver would it ??!!! :aargh4:

shake
11-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for that Mike but why does the book "Audi Navigation System plus (RNS-E)" have a whole section on "TV" giving channel searches, tv standards in different countries eg PAL I for UK/Ireland. References to teletext, BBC1 & ITV etc.

It also says that the TV Tuner is designed for conventional analogue transmissions and cannot recieve digital television transmissions (DVB-T). But I was hoping that this may have changed since 2005.

It also goes on about audio/video sources and selecting AV1 or AV2.

It does say in the manual that for safety reasons the TV picture is not available while driving. "The TV picture is blacked out but you can still listen to the TV audio."

Or have I just got a cheapo unit that all these things don't apply to?

kite
11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
TV was an extra option.
For any retro fit upgrades contact craig
http://www.tclsatnav.com/

Mike Foster
11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
It is illegal in the UK to have the option of live television within sight of the driver.

End of story. !:Blush:

shake
11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I am new to this forum and I did not want to upset you, Mike, by contadicting your post.

Legal tv options in the sight of the driver may be your speciality but it does not help me.

If you have nothing useful to add then say nowt. Better still try and be tolerant and smile benignly while watching fools such as me. You may reap a benefit one day.

shake
11-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your link kite. I did look it up and was horrified by the cost of "starting from £599" to go digital.

I think I need to rethink the plan.

Mike Foster
11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Shake - I was only trying to advise that you cannot legally have live tv in view of the driver in the UK.

Why would you want to have that anyway - could it be dangerous? - and why does that advice not help you ?

Do you not care whether it's legal or not and can you not see the obvious reason why it's illegal ?

If my post came over wrongly then I apologise - being a retired old fart then maybe I'm not used to put smileys in when I should. LOL :Blush2:

shake
11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Mike
I have just bought the car and as I have no tax I was playing with it on the drive. The handbook supplied said TV, I could not find one.

I, same as you, would not admit to watching tv while driving but if it is possible to view while parked then i would like to have that option.

My question is not one of legallity. It is one of technical possibility. I will leave it to each person to decide for themselves what is right.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Mike Foster
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Sounds like, from the link that you have been given, that it is possible - at a price, legal or not !

If you decide to proceed then please check the small print because they may have a disclaimer somewhere which either says you can't use it whilst moving or simply that it will not work whilst moving.

Finally - please take care if you decide to have it .

I look forward to hearing again from you

:beerchug:

MFGF
13-09-2010, 11:08 AM
My A6 has DVD playback functionality, but the picture disappears when the car travels at over 5mph (audio continues, though). I'd be willing to bet that the TV tuner attached to an RNS-e nav unit in an A3 would behave in the same manner.

Cheers!

MF.

kite
13-09-2010, 03:07 PM
There is always the "VIM" hack....

DannyFR550
14-09-2010, 12:32 AM
They used to put a simple switch on the handbrake I believe, so it had to be up for the screen to work on TV or DVD, how things have changed :)

Danny.

Stuart_B
20-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Even though it's illegal for any sort of display (TV, DVD, PS3 etc), they are still more than available and most people bypass the simple security systems that kill display when driving. It's usually just a case of a single 12v supply, or grounding a cable.