PDA

View Full Version : Possible Multitronic Problem 1.9 130 Sport

blackchilliman
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi- I bought a 54 plate, 93k, A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 Sport at auction. It has some history but I have to presume that the ATF has never been changed.........and yes, having NOW read the forums, I realise how stupid this was!!

Anyway, there is no particular transmission problem apart from it being bit hesitant from stationary which I read could be is an idiosyncrasy of the multitronic box.... I'm only used to driving the same engined car, in a manual golf. The guy that is currently servicing my car said that changing the ATF should help with the hesitation but he has also mentioned that the ATF smells badly burnt.

My question is, once the "burnt" ATF has been changed, have I avoided a major gearbox meltdown or am I kidding myself and the burnt ATF together with the hesitation symbolic of impending doom?

Thanks in anticipation.

iwaters
10-09-2010, 04:25 PM
The hesitation is a feature of the box and not an indication of a problem. Changing the oil wont change that.

I am not sure how the man servicing it can say it smells burnt, the drain plug is at the bottom of the gearbox and opening means all the oil flows out. Unless he has opened the filling hole and sniffed it? Sounds odd.

Anyway the oil is supposed to be changed every 40K, if this isn't done and the box goes bad you wont get any goodwill help from Audi.

The multitronic box goes when it feels like it, some go at quite low mileage, others can go for ages, I have one with 116K miles and no problems, I have even heard of one lasting till 135K which never had an oil change!!

blackchilliman
10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh ok- To clarify, the servicing guy is in the process of changing the ATF but is having problems getting the drainage plug out and some of the fluid has leaked...hence how he knows how it smells.
If everything is "OK" do you think the gearbox is a ticking time bomb?