PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my A4 (part 1) - Steering

vwawudi
10-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Had my A4 for about a week now. Not happy with the steering. Feels very odd. I love the fact that it's light at slow speeds - great to park.

However, it stiffens up at speed to the point where it feels like lead. I guess on the motorway it's good but it feels way too stiff IMHO!

There is absolutely no way I can enjoy twisty roads as it takes away from the drive. Cannot make the corrections and turns required for a windy road well enough with this steering. Dunno if I'll get used to it with time...

I also get a rather sudden stiffening while speeding up. Maybe around 30-50mph, not sure, it just suddenly get's hard to steer. Odd feeling indeed.

I've searched and seen other threads about steering but none that directly answers my questions. It's ok on roundabouts as I don't accelerate round them, taking curves like joining the M8 from Pointhouse road is strange for example.

My arms feel tired and achey after a lengthy drive (not sure if it's because I'm yet to find the right steering and seat position though).

Thoughts?

(It's an SE EXEC if that makes any difference)

robtt09
10-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I think a trip to the dealer is in order.

gazza1
10-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Agree, think you had go get it looked at. I have an SE Exec 59 plate B8 and had to have a new power steering pump fitted, Oxford Audi wouldn't let me drive it off the forecourt once fault had been diagnosed and they fixed within 24 hours (though had to really fight to get a courtesy car). I wouldn't take the risk.

vwawudi
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys.

Well, well, well...

I've been given a 2.0 TDI S-Line Avant manual transmission as a loaner!

Straight away the steering is different! Feels more comfortable and more direct!

Also realised that the S-Line ride on the B8 is not as harsh as the B7! Wish I had considered it though costs would probably have kiboshed the idea!

Back to problem at hand, when I was speaking to the service guy, he said the steering was normal, ie 'servotronic' feel.

I'll ring him up to express my dismay compared to my loaner!

ymisyd
10-09-2010, 04:05 PM
vwaudi,

When I test drove my 2.0tdi Avant Exec S-Line, I too noticed how the steering stiffened up, particularly on medium speed bends. This was, of course, in stark contrast to my B7 sport.

However, after a few weeks of driving it feels completely normal to me now. Strange considering I'd mentioned it as a "dislike" to a friend after the test drive.

p.s. you're quite right about the B7 vs B8 sport ride - I too have found that the B8 s-line doesn't "crash" over speed bumps / potholes etc. I can only wonder what the SE rides like.

robrob
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I have just had my new B8 A4 s-line for a month and the steering has taken a real while to get used to but I now really like it.

I came from a BMW 335d, and when I drove the A4 off the forecourt thought I'd made a terrible mistake - the steering felt like the "City" button option that Fiat Puntos' have - i.e. massively over assisted. However, when I worked out the speed sensitive steering, I now feel it weights up nicely under load, and periodically at high speed, it feels as heavy and direct as my 335d did.

I barely notice it now. Given you've now tried another B8 and felt the steering was completely different, it does sound as if it's worth checking with the dealer.

Is there a chance the steering set-up is intentionally different (albeit significantly in this case) between SE and s-line?

Geordie Amanda
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I have the ADS steering on my car and none of the 3 modes really gives me satisfactory steering. Comfort mode is way to light for anything, Auto is probably the best compromise and Dynamic is just plain heavy at speed. But like the poster above, I come from a BMW so I was used to good steering feel. The Audi does many things better than the BMW, but steering isn’t one of them. :(

ymisyd
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Apologies,

My post should read B6 - not B7

vwawudi
13-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Dealer says the steering is as it should be. Not entirely convinced. Seems to get stiff from just under 30mph, not fun when you're on a bend coming off or joining the motorway! I may get used to it but I want the best I can get. Should it kick in so low? Feels generally hard to steer after you accelerate a bit.

My loan car (S-line) was way better!

Is it true that the servotronic steering comes in 3 types?? Dealer says so and I don't believe him one bit! They're trying to fob me off saying the steering could be changed but it won't make a difference as it depends which of the 3 types I have fitted on my car. "3 different codes for the 3 types, yours may have an earlier servotronic, blah, blah, blah...."

Also tried to snidingly remark that maybe I should contact the supplying dealer under the 30day rule etc, knowing full well that they're 300 miles away!

NWSRG
14-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Came from a 325D myself, and the Audi steering is certainly lighter but less 'connected'.

My car is a non-Servotronic S-Line...today I returned a courtesy S-Line which had Servotronic fitted. Certainly for town driving, the Servotronic is more comfortable, but it did seem inconsistent in how the weight built up. Actually was quite happy to go back to non-Servotronic!

vwawudi
15-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Came from a 325D myself, and the Audi steering is certainly lighter but less 'connected'.

My car is a non-Servotronic S-Line...today I returned a courtesy S-Line which had Servotronic fitted. Certainly for town driving, the Servotronic is more comfortable, but it did seem inconsistent in how the weight built up. Actually was quite happy to go back to non-Servotronic!

Inconsistent might just be the word I was looking for. Feels very odd, I understand the principle but in practice it can seem very alien. My steering certainly does. Stiffens up too soon and too much!

ScottyUK
15-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I noticed the Servotronic on my B6 S4 .... for the first couple of days.

I noticed the Servotronic on my B8 A4 .... for the first couple of weeks.

Now it just does what it does without me noticing so I have to give it the big thumb : :biggthump

vwawudi
15-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I noticed the Servotronic on my B6 S4 .... for the first couple of days.

I noticed the Servotronic on my B8 A4 .... for the first couple of weeks.

Now it just does what it does without me noticing so I have to give it the big thumb : :biggthump

Reassuring. I'm trying to get used to it. Dealer assures me it's fine. Will see.

Doesn't explain the achey arms though...

vwawudi
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Recently been on holiday where I drove this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/97-00_Oldsmobile_Silhouette.jpg

It was a far more pleasurable experience than my 2009 B8 Audi A4!

TBH, not really looking forward to driving my car tomorrow. I'll have to wait and see if it gets better or I get used to it.

The Audi was an itch I just had to scratch, as soon as I'm sure I won't lose too much cash, I'm likely to trade it in, maybe next year.

marksaudi
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
You've got to be joking.... If you think this Japanese bus is better to drive than your A4, I'd start taking the bus;)

Have you driven a few others, just to check there isn't some sort of fault with yours???

Don't give up the faith that easily, the Audi experience is worth it!!!

scoobmw
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey, well I hope you do get used to it and come to like it ...
If it helps owt, my first drive in mine a few weeks back I thought what the heck's happened here, what am I driving, it doesn't accelerate and it doesn't steer.

A few weeks on it's a completely different story. I'll still be learning for a long long time, but am enjoying it now, and not really noticing the steering input nearly as much, just steering and getting on with it. Did a good stint on dark wet twisties tonight, which I wondered if I could do ever on Day 1. Now it's nae problem. Not quite Impreza directness, but it's never claimed to be that. I actually think it's me changing cars and I need to learn.

Hope you get to do some miles and one day find yourself just forgetting about it ... good luck

AZMOTORSPARES
13-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Had my servotronic since March 2008 i've been the whole nine yards and i'm convinced that the problem is the gears in the servo rack . I have been selling parts for over 30 years and i deal diret with Sachs Boge who make the B8 rack after a chat to my technical contact he advised me that the rack may be faulty . Anyhow i've had 2 racks and 2 pumps and although when replaced the steering is very good eventually it goes harder and harder. As its my wifes car i'm not too bothered and neither is she so i've left it since the cars gonna get replaced soon. Same thing when they gav me a loan car it was brilliant compared to mine Audi just fob you off as there haven't been many complaints for them to look into it , My own opinion is that people just dont know the difference and as mine was the extra 30mm lowered version i knew what i was getting myself into . Ride on the lowered b8 is terrible and the suspension after just 21k is terrible put that together with the "lead steering wheel " and its a very very bad experience.

Read my thread carefully and trust me when i say stick to Bmw i was a convert now will revert in 2011 , cant wait !:zx11:

vwawudi
13-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Hmm...

I've actually felt a funny sensation, a judder while parking/negotiating through the car park at low speed. Ignored it at first but after the last post, I realise it isn't normal and apparently well known to Audi.

I have my car booked in for some other work and the CS person at the dealer said there were no updates from Audi for my car!

What do I have to do to get someone to look at my steering setup?

The judder is disconcerting.

vwawudi
06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Local dealer insisted there's nothing wrong with my steering at all - 'normal operation'. Audi 'Master Tech' had given it the all clear. I once again stated that it doesn't feel right, not as smooth as the courtesy cars, too stiff etc.

I was actually told: "maybe you should take it back to the dealer you bought it from":zx11: :mad: I was speechless, never thought I'd hear that from an Audi dealer.

Well, took a 440mile roundtrip (for other reasons) and dropped by my supplying dealer south of the border.

I've never been treated better by a car dealer in my life! Arranged a ride-along and test drive by a service person, twisty local roads, motorway etc. Took me out another car on a test drive to compare and immediately felt the difference.

Booked in for check, re-investigated the steering system, fine; checked the tyres and the fronts were worn and had been tramming when the tech guy took it out. They swapped the tyres round, took me out for a spin in one of their cars and then mine with the tyres changed and it felt better, not excellent but better than before.

I'm satisfied that these guys have given it a go and made a difference.

Glasgow Audi on the other hand... they've lost me as a customer. Will have to try other dealers - unfortunately, all belong to one group here. I only hope for better service or things will have to wait for my roundtrips!

Hammy969
07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi VWAWUDI

Interested to see your comments about Glasgow Audi, I have bought 2 cars from them and 2 from Carlisle Audi.

I am based in near the border and have actually never used Galsgow Audi for any service or warranty work.
Carlisle have always carried out any warranty works and provided a car while my cars have been in for work. They also have been cheaper for servicing. Most of the warranty work I have carried out was on a car bought from Glasgow.
This was one of the reason I purchased my next 2 cars from them.

They are a smaller garage, this may be why they are better at the personnel service.

I suspect it is closer than 440miles for you.

Ham