PDA

View Full Version : Coming home headlights

podwin
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Fog lights actually.

I had an idea, I fitted front fogs purely to complete the look of the front end, I never use them.

I had headlights which would stay on for a minute or two after taking the ignition out to see you to your front door on my last car. I thought I could do this with the front fogs.

They are my own fitment, so won't affect the cars electronics and it would make some use of them.

I already have a ignition controlled relay for DRLs I used to use, and the fogs are up and running via their own relay.

I bought a timer for £20 which simply energises the fog relay for 90secs when the ignition is switch off.

Before I actually do this, I thought I'd check if anyone thinks this is a bad idea or not?

hartry
09-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I think you can do it with VAGCOM? Although if you don't have a rain and light sensor you will need to activate manually (by flashing the headlights) every time you get out the car.

g-black
10-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Can coming home/leaving home be added to the highline menu system without a light and moisture sensor? I think I remember seeing it somewhere before but ive searched and can't find it now.

patomlin76
10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I think you definitely need the light sensor for coming home/leaving home lights. So you would have to go the 'alternative logic' way - flashing headlights before stepping out of car.

hartry
10-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Can coming home/leaving home be added to the highline menu system without a light and moisture sensor? I think I remember seeing it somewhere before but ive searched and can't find it now.

It certainly can. Since you don't have the light sensor you have to program alternate logic for the coming home, and flick the full beam as you get out to activate them. Leaving home without light sensor just comes on every time you unlock the car - whether it's light or dark - on a B6. (I've found out since that on a mk 6 golf without light sensor, coming home works the same as I've described but leaving home doesn't work at all).

hartry
10-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Well actually I've since read that leaving home might work in the same way, i.e. unlock the car and flick the full beams, but that seems a tad on the pointless side!!

g-black
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Yea seems a bit pointless if you have to flick the full beam to turn the feature on. Would be good if you could just enable the feature to come on all the time. Looks like it's something I'll will have to do without

brightside
11-09-2010, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine brought me his 56 plate 140 sport in to work the other day. When you unlocked it in the workshop (low light levels) the lights came on by themself, and when you locked it they stayed on for about 90seconds afterwards. He has the auto headlights feature.

Could you not just retro-fit that in and, if your not using fog lights anyway, fit them with low output bulbs (like sidelights) and wire them to sidelights aswell (so when the sidelights are on, the'fog lights' come on aswell) then when you walk away all the lights are on?

Dunno though. Just a wierd idea lol

podwin
28-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I abandoned my attempt at this using the fogs for this.

Instead I went down to my local independent who set the headlights to come on when I unlock the car.

The headlights also stay on for about 60 secs after getting out, and only about 15 secs from after locking the car.

I like it, and they charged me £20 for their time.

RicardoA4Sline
28-09-2010, 10:06 PM
had a faff on with mine when I did the DRL, they come on when I leave the car with the headlights switched 'on'

mustnt have ticked the right thing for them to come on when I unlock the car then....

After a night faffing on uploading new updates to our handsfree parrots I am not going back out to the car again tonight!

richiemac
29-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Did this last week with VAGCOM. I have no light sensor. When i unlock, the lights come on for 20 seconds, day or night. My switch has an Auto position also. This basically gives you dip beam all the time. If i leave it in Auto, the coming home works aswell, ie. lock the car.........no flicking stalks. I'll leave it activated for the winter months and knock it off again in the spring.......Looking into fitting a light sensor at the moment, i think it can be retrofitted on easily enough from what i can see on ETKA and ElsaWin ..............Working a seperate timer should be fine i'd say :approve:

logiclee
29-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I have coming home / leaving home lights enabled on my highline. Enabling this brings up options in the display so I can now set how long I want the lights to stay on for each setting or turn the functions/on off from the steering wheel.

The leaving home lights come on whenever I unlock the car. The coming home lights come on when I leave the car as long as I've flicked the high beam before opening the drivers door.

I had enabled this option the same time as I enabled North American DRL's and Alarm set beep.

Cheers
Lee

g-black
30-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Did this last week with VAGCOM. I have no light sensor. When i unlock, the lights come on for 20 seconds, day or night. My switch has an Auto position also. This basically gives you dip beam all the time. If i leave it in Auto, the coming home works aswell, ie. lock the car.........no flicking stalks. I'll leave it activated for the winter months and knock it off again in the spring.......Looking into fitting a light sensor at the moment, i think it can be retrofitted on easily enough from what i can see on ETKA and ElsaWin ..............Working a seperate timer should be fine i'd say :approve:

I'm not worried that they come on in night or dark. Do I have to fit and auto light switch before I can have coming home enabled without flicking the full beam? Do the lights turn off when you get into the car? I want to enable DRLs. My aim is to have the lights come on when I unlock the car and not go off till about 20seconds after I've locked it. Possible?

patomlin76
30-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I think you have to have the actual dusk sensor fitted as well as the switch - those with the rain sensor would have this already as I 'think' they're part of the same option pack. Unless you want to spend serious £££s retrofitting this option, you'll have to stick to the flick...

DRLs can be enabled through vagcom easily enough, and are completely separate from auto lights/coming home lights..

logiclee
01-10-2010, 05:21 AM
My aim is to have the lights come on when I unlock the car and not go off till about 20seconds after I've locked it. Possible?

You can do that just by enabling the option with VCDS. You will be able to set how long the lights stay on for using the cars setup options.
You only need to flick the high beam if you want the lights to stay on when locking the car.

I do not have any sensors on mine but everytime I unlock the car the lights come on.

Cheers
Lee

richiemac
01-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Lee is spot on. It will work no problem. In my case though, i have a switch with an Auto position.....so if i leave it in auto i dont have to flick the stalk for coming home to work, no light sensor............