PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2.6 Cab 96 starter switch sticking

kevinclaxton
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any help. As above, (having done some research), it seems that the ignition switch below the ignition barrell has failed. When you turn the ignition key it sticks at the 'start' position meaning that you then have to turn it back manually or the starter motor reminas engaged.

I understand this part is about £25 but wondered how much an Audi centre charges to fit (having dissassembled the dash) if if anyone knew of a garage in the SE who could do it at a reasonable price or even a replacement part and perhaps the part number? I am not up to taking the dash apart myself to find out).

My research has confirmed that in the USA this was subject of a recall (there is a lot on US web forums about it) but I cannot find any reference to a recall in the UK. It was apparently made subject of a recall as it was deemed dangerous in the US because if left in the start position, (as well as burning out the starter motor of course), electrical items such as lights, indicators and wipers do not work.

towcestervag
10-09-2010, 12:16 AM
easy job if just electrical part
2 screws for top steering column shrould
2 screws to remove instrument cluster and then disconnect wires all one way fit only so cant get wrong
the ignition barrel has 2 red paint dots covering screws for electrical part
clear paint and undo 2 small flat head screws no need to remove all the way

kevinclaxton
10-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi thanks very much to TowcesterVAG for the info, this is really helpful. Hope you don't mind if I aska couple of questions - will I have to take the steering wheel off (contains airbag). or should I be able to remove the instrument cluster and wriggle around the steering wheel? Also, should my local audi centre be able to trace the part via my chassis no etc (as I don't fancy doing all this twice - one to get the VAG part number! Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.

towcestervag
13-09-2010, 07:54 AM
should come past steering wheel just
and yes they should be able to locate part from chassis no

black_cab
04-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I seem to have the same problem on a 99 cab. Just been through two starter motors in three weeks - though the first may have been to original.

I've been given a ball park quote of £200 to replace the entire assemby - is this really needed, or could I DIY it if I can get the switch out?

kevinclaxton
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
In the end I got my Audicentre to do it due to lack of time etc. £27.00 approx for the part, and the total bill was £112 incl vat. (It was the plastic starter switch with is mounted on the bottom of teh ignition barrell. Its now working normally, and it has to be better than burning our starter motors!