PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI hesitating at low revs

limawhiskey
08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
My 2.0 TDI 140 Passat Estate (reg March 2006) has started hesitating at low revs. This mostly happens at between 1500 and 2000 rpm when the revs are held at the same level and tends to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. My car has the dreaded BKP engine number 103??? - not sure if it's had the 13D8 recall
I've not had it read for faults yet, just wondered if anyone had any ideas or a similar experience.
Mileage is 93k.
Thanks in advance.

manity
08-09-2010, 07:42 PM
i have the 170 sport does it some times aswell. ive read elsewhere other people have had same fault too ive done a vag.com check but not showing any faults..

DSG4ME
08-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I think you're going to do what I'm doing, live with it, mine only does it when it's cold, and at 1500rpm in 1-3, seems to go once the box is in 4th, mines a DSG btw, a mate has just got an 09 Octavia that's doing it as well, I've also read that other Skoda owners have reported it and not got a fix for it yet, I suspect it's ecu mapping myself, also it's been a big problem in the USA as well, it could be that the latest fuel isn't suitable, they keep messing about with the car itself to minimise smoke etc, and there's every chance the fuel companies are now selling fuel that upsets the software due to additives or lower cetane, one thing for sure though, if you put it in for a diagnostic and they start guessing and replacing, you will end up with a dogs dinner of a car and more problems, my mate is going to put his in, if anything turns up I'll let you know asap.

fat controller
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Mine was doing this just prior to the injector failing, but it also had occasional and quite definite misfires even when travelling at speed (literally like a mini engine stall); Since the new injector has been fitted, things have improved significantly, and now it seems that the hesitating at low revs only happens when the engine isn't fully warmed.

For a bit, this made me really jittery that I had another injector about to go, but I am slowly coming to accept that it might just be a trait of the engine - I also wonder how much of it is as a symptom of it being 'drive by wire', and wonder if it would be any different if the throttle was mechanically operated?

The only other thing that my one has done recently, that did scare me a bit, was to bog down on me as I was pulling onto the roundabout at the top of my road a few weeks ago - - as it decided to go flat on me, a car breezed up the main road a bit quick, and I was left poodling across a roundabout right in the firing line of this other car. I sunk the boot, and it eventually decided to pick its heels up and go, but the cloud of black reek at the back would have made 007 proud :D - I wasn't too chuffed at having to boot it like that first thing in the morning though, with the engine still cold.

slime101
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Mine does this, it coughs and stutters really badly between 1500 and 2500 rpm, so far VW are saying there isnt a problem and will no doubt refuse to sort it and pay when it does die!!

Were there any signs of the injector failing that report on diagnostics or is it pot luck replacement and hope??

DSG4ME
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I have one more theory on it, it could be a slight head gasket leak that seals up one warmed up, or maybe porous head.

The other suspects that I might gamble on are the coolant temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor, both are cheap to replace, but I think it will be a false hope myself, I've not booked mine in after reading of a Superb owner who booked in 5 times without a result, I can't afford the time off the road, and I don't want other things getting broken during the hunt, it's annoying for 10 minutes each day, but I compensate it with either sport mode or try to keep the revs up as much as possible out of that band, I think eventually it's going to signal no more VAG for me, not sold on the "new" Passat due for launch early next year anyway, and having had two families from the same family with the same etiquette regarding accountability I think it will be time to move on elsewhere.

I'll give you an example, recently Toyota have recalled cars for a fault that can cause the car to cut out at speed on the motorway, VW's injector faults cause the same problem, as it's been happening since 2006 and they've still not done anything about it, I don't think they will, I used Toyota as an example, but both Peugeot and Vauxhall always endevoured to fix my cars willingly, I wouldn't have another French car, but the Vauxhall will always be a contender purely because I hadly had any trouble from them, and even if the car lacked style, it didn't lack anything else, and a very safe strong shell they build as well.

Here's what a Vectra looks like after a van hits it side on at an estimated 50mph, inside as you can see the bags deployed, and the seat is still in position and the doors didn't burst.

skywalker1801
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Since having a cambelt replaced, on start up the engine misfires badly until running temperature is reached. It appears to be misfiring on one and two cylinders. The engine recently stalled and it was very difficult to restart it, but it eventually fired amongst a cloud of black smoke:(.

Anyone had similar problems? Will it be resolved if take back to garage where cambelt was changed?:1zhelp:

fat controller
05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Since having a cambelt replaced, on start up the engine misfires badly until running temperature is reached. It appears to be misfiring on one and two cylinders. The engine recently stalled and it was very difficult to restart it, but it eventually fired amongst a cloud of black smoke:(.

Anyone had similar problems? Will it be resolved if take back to garage where cambelt was changed?:1zhelp:

I'd be inclined to take it back sooner rather than later, something definitely isn't right there, which makes me wonder if they've let the timing jump a tooth or something when fitting the belt.

Someone like Martin or Crasher will hopefully be about soon to advise you better.

martin1810
05-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Get someone to plug it into VCDS and look at the measuring blocks. If it really has played up since the belt was done I suspect fatcontroller may be right. The VCDS read will confirm this.

skywalker1801
08-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. Will get it back to garage to look at again. At least I have an idea what's going on.
Cheers.

m12oby
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I have a 170 sport 2007 manual. It does the same thing. Usually on a completely random basis. In slow traffic it somethime goes really flat (like it had about 50bhp) then takes off like a rocket. Not so much accelerator, more like a switch (on or off)!

I have a feeling the DMF might be on its way out though so don'y know if this is contributing to it?

DSG4ME
12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a 170 sport 2007 manual. It does the same thing. Usually on a completely random basis. In slow traffic it somethime goes really flat (like it had about 50bhp) then takes off like a rocket. Not so much accelerator, more like a switch (on or off)!

I have a feeling the DMF might be on its way out though so don'y know if this is contributing to it?

That's PD engine action mate, nothing to worry about, you just have to learn to get to the roundabout at a time when there's still some boost spooling in the turbo, hence the phrase...turbo lag.

fat controller
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Mine was really, really bad today - I had just come off a dual carriageway, and round a roundabout, and had a slow moving goods vehicle in front - engine was only just reaching temperature - the acceleration of the vehicle in front was sedate at best, so I was in second gear giving a very light throttle opening (about 1800-1900rpm); I could feel the hesitation, which then worsened and then changed to what I can only describe as kangaroo diesel.

It only lasted five or six seconds I suppose, but it was really unpleasant given the history with the injector failure. As soon as I was clear of the other vehilce (he turned off) I sank the boot and drove it like I had nicked it for a good while after, with no reoccurences.

Whenever I get the hestitation/misfire, it seems that it is always as the engine is just reaching normal operating temperature, and always between 1750-2000 rpm.

Zeb
12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Fat controller:

I had the same problem too, even though I gave it a good thrash on the motorway, nothing changed. The car still hesitates between 1800 - 1950 rpm.

Could it be related with dirty engine oil? I was thinking of changing the oil and oil filter next week.

DSG4ME
13-10-2010, 12:11 AM
It's software, and they do not have a solution to it yet.

martin1810
13-10-2010, 10:40 AM
1750 rpm is when the 2.0 140 bhp engine hits peak torque of 320 Nm. Torque then stays flat until 2500 rpm before starting to drop off. My guess is that you feel the torque hit its max. If you rev straight through this point the torque will max but the power keeps rising so you don't feel the hesitation. I assume it is a design characteristic as so many 2.0 do it.

DSG4ME
13-10-2010, 12:53 PM
It seem's to get worse as the weather get's better, I bought mine in April and I didn't notice it until June, now it's cooled off again, so has the misfire, that's why I say it's software, something doesn't seem to be able to read the correct setting's for the overall engine temp, probably thinks the engine is warmer than it actually is on a cold start on a warm day and backs off the mixture thinking it's no longer needing to choke the engine.

fat controller
13-10-2010, 04:08 PM
1750 rpm is when the 2.0 140 bhp engine hits peak torque of 320 Nm. Torque then stays flat until 2500 rpm before starting to drop off. My guess is that you feel the torque hit its max. If you rev straight through this point the torque will max but the power keeps rising so you don't feel the hesitation. I assume it is a design characteristic as so many 2.0 do it.

Why the bucking bronco impression from mine though Martin? It wasn't so much of a hesitation but more a threat of impending failure (I jest not, it was really bad).

Also, what is the relationship between this characteristic and engine temperature? - even the more 'normal' hesitations only ever occur on mine at light throttle openings before fully warmed up or just as the engine is reaching normal temperature.

DSG4ME
13-10-2010, 04:45 PM
That's it FC, light throttle, weaker mixture when richer is needed hence the running out of gas kangaroo effect we get.

slime101
13-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I dont believe its software, its definately linked to the impending injector failure on many of our cars.....i'm in wranglings with VW over mine at the moment but am slowly making progress!!!!

Thing is as the temp has dropped the problem as also got less frequent....hmm.:zx11:

DSG4ME
13-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Thing is as the temp has dropped the problem as also got less frequent....hmm.:zx11:

Exactly, so wouldn't a weak mixture do just that to an engine, the car thinks it's warm so it backs off the choke.

martin1810
13-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Logic dictates that if it feels like a missfire it must be an injector fault and if this engine had the old style solenoid injectors and an aged injector loom, I would suspect the injectors or loom.
When you consider the ecu is juggling coolant temp, fuel temp, air temp, mass air flow, boost pressure, egr percentage etc, before adjusting the fueling, it is too complicated to guess what the cause is. It is a well known issue on 2.0 pd engines used in VW, Skoda and Audi. I can't get enough people to send me engine data so I am still struggling to define exactly what constitutes normal injector performance. If I had enough "normal" samples it would be easier to spot an "abnormal" injector. Personally I don't think this hesitation is a sign of impending injector failure, simply because it noted far more frequently than injector failure is.

DSG4ME
13-10-2010, 11:31 PM
What do you think of my theory Martin?

fat controller
27-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Mine was bloody awful on the way home this afternoon, and a few times I got the kagaroo effect as well as the car being really hesitant at low speeds. In places where the traffic was a bit clearer, and I was able to give her a bit more loud pedal, it pulled like a train without any problem at all - the problem only showed when I was trundling along barely touching the accelerator.

I wonder if its an ECU glitch, and that it simply cannot work out what to do with the really light throtte position - almost as if it is shutting the fuel supply off, then realising that we ar doing nearly 30-mph and switching it back on again??

slime101
27-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Sounds about right - mine spent 3 days in the dealers last week......no fault found that relates to the hesitation and juddering!!!

It does seem much better since the temp dropped though but i bet it returns with a vengence next spring.

DSG4ME
27-10-2010, 08:21 PM
"What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some car's you just can't reach...
So, you get what we had here last week,
which is the way no one wants it!
Well, he gets it!
N' I don't like it any more than you men." *

Look at your Passat misfiring
Look at your wallet crying
Look at other young men driving
The way they've always done before

Look at the hate they're breeding
Look at the fuel we're feeding
Look at the revs we're losing
The way we've never done before

Our hands are tied
The billions shift from us to VW
And the buyer's go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By oily hands time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our Passat makers

D'you wear a black armband
When they called the AA man
Who said "reliability could last forever"
And in my first memories
They shot Kennedy
I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of the service department. to remind us all
That you can't trust Volkswagen
When it's not in your hands
When everybody's fightin'
For their promised motoring experience

And
I don't need your civil bull
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
Your power hungry sellin' Passat's
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
I don't need your civil bull

Look at the cars your filling
Look at the people you're spilling
Look at the patience you're killing
The way you've always done before
Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the forums we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't want to hear no more

I'm calling it Civil Bull the remix version.

fat controller
28-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I have this horrid feeling that I have a bill coming.....

Kangaroo diesel trick on the way home again this evening - heavy traffic generally which was slowed even more by a pushbike - on a light throttle opening, and just as I was getting to the point where I was the next car to get to the bike, the old kangaroo diesel kicked in, and it was really bad - so much so, I was convinced that it was about to stall. This was more than just hesitation though, this was a proper bucking bronco style underfuelling or misfire. It had done a similar trick only minutes before on the dual carriageway, again in heavy traffic at a light throttle opening.

Thankfully, the oncoming traffic cleared just in time, and I was able to sink the boot and get going. Under load, its fine (maybe a tad flat) - - no lights or warnings either.

I just don't know what to think now, as this is how it behaved before the injector failure, only worse.

bundao
28-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Thought I felt some hesitation recently too - although I don't drive the passat much now as the missus has nicked it off me!

fat controller - You've mentioned before you had a mate with VCDS so have you had it scaned? I'm thinking there must be a fault code with that exteme kangerooing.

I'd be happy to scan it for you if needed - I'm only down the road from you in Staines

fat controller
28-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks mate, that is really good of you :) - I've not seen him to ask yet, but I might very well take you up on that if I can't get hold of him.

If I don't get him, I'll PM you and we'll arrange a suitable time etc?

Half of my brain is screaming that another injector is on its way, while the other half drifts between the injector loom, fuel pump or fuel filter.

Either way, I'll keep you posted - thanks again :)

slime101
28-10-2010, 10:01 PM
My money says there are no faults recorded.

fat controller
28-10-2010, 10:43 PM
My money says there are no faults recorded.

That is the worry :( - the trouble is, this only shows up before the engine reaches operating temperature, or very shortly after it has got there; once it gets thoroughly warm, its fine.

With the schools being off this week, Mrs C has been off work looking after the wee one, so its been a short hop to work and back each day for me and nothing more, so I am wondering if that is having some kind of bearing on things.

Bundao will be familiar with the road that it has happened on the last couple of days - Snakey Lane - at the moment there are roadworks there which aren't helping one bit. Work for me is Teddington, so not all that far from home.

martin1810
29-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Faults only log if they occur often enough. The conditions for "often enough" vary from sensor to sensor and controller to controller. Your best option is an engine block measuring log whilst it is juddering. Don't ask me how you are supposed to manage that.:D

fat controller
29-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Faults only log if they occur often enough. The conditions for "often enough" vary from sensor to sensor and controller to controller. Your best option is an engine block measuring log whilst it is juddering. Don't ask me how you are supposed to manage that.:D

That would be nigh-on impossible Martin - she ran absolutely fine today, both morning and afternoon - moody bugger that she is :D :D

Kaiser2000
30-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Mine does all this too (06 2.0 TDI 140 with DSG)

- as others have said it seems to only hesitate when the engine is cold
- I've had the "lurching" on occasion too.. bit problematic when say you're coming out of a side road
- I'm also getting a distinct intermittent rattling when the car is idling that I'm told is the DMF on the way out
- The last 2/3 weeks it's also started to shudder at idle as if it's about to cut out.

So, DMF and possible injector failure as well? Upwards of a grand to fix, made worse by the fact that I was made redundant late last year so don't have that kind of money.

I did ring VW Ireland about it a few weeks back and got through to the girl who approves/rejects any out of warranty goodwill work and told her that this seems to be a common fault on these cars, but her line was not to believe everything you read on forums (you're all liars/imagining things then apparently! :mad:) and that the car is too "old" to qualify but (and this was just priceless) if I want, I can certainly pay (a main dealer) to diagnose the problems and have them send her the file - ie: it won't be approved anyway but feel free to throw some money for nothing at it! :mad:

All I can do is hope it doesn't die before I get a new job I suppose

DSG4ME
31-10-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't want to bear bad news, but if what is wrong is wrong, you are starring at more like £4k to fix, the flywheel issue will mean a new box as iirc they don't service a DSG other than an oil and filter change.

But however, I've been thinking mine is playing up regarding the judder etc, does it feel like something didn't stop with the rest of the car when stopping, almost like a driveshaft clack/slack?

I won't know for sure until tomorrow, but mine had 2 Italian tune up's tonight and I do believe it's sorted it, I say this because I gave some cars a real bath in smoke and I've been running urban a lot lately, possible cause is the coked up engine isn't getting read right and the box can't get a true reading as to what it's supposed to do next, I'm also going to have the battery lead off soon to kill the memory settings off and reset to default and hope again that this is a quirk that the engine,box and my style don't have a proper parameter for.

fat controller
31-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Funny enough, mine tends to behave itself for a few days after an Italian tune up.

Quatrelle
31-10-2010, 05:01 PM
When you think about it, these engines are their own worst enemies. High-powered, low-geared, and you can't legally use their potential.

A diesel needs to be worked, and so when I drive my normally aspirated Laguna on a cross-country run it spends much of its time above 2500 rpm in its gears (nearly 4000 on autoroutes - deafening). My wife drives it like an old woman (which she is, bless her!), so it's had 3 bottles of injector cleaner through it to clear hesitation. I tell her to thrash it, but....

I remember speaking to the owner of an old-fashioned 'one-man and his mate' garage a while ago, and he maintained that car diesels were being developed too quickly to do things diesels weren't intended to do. 'Compare the way your car engine has to work with the way an HGV's has to'. I forgot to ask if he was thinking of the 2.0 tdi at the time.

My Passat fuels perfectly at the moment (opens mouth and puts foot in it...).

fat controller
31-10-2010, 06:44 PM
You are spot on Quatrelle - indeed, I have seen similar changes with diesel engines at my work. Years ago, the engines in buses were generally hefty old lumps, normally aspirated, that just ran and ran (think Gardiner 6LXB) - and to get anywhere at any decent pace they would be getting thrashed pretty much the whole time.

Obviously, they did from time to time break down - but hand on heart it certainly feels as though the more modern Euro IV lumps we have to run now, break down more often (plus, they sound like demented sewing machines!)

The only engine that I have a small amount of respect for at the moment is the 6-pot Scania offering, as it seems to be fairly bullet proof.

slime101
31-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Italian tune-up doesnt cure it, long or short term....mine gets a regular "workout" (several times a week), never gets used around town or in traffic and its bloody awful!

Also, its not the flywheel!

DSG4ME
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Italian tune-up doesnt cure it, long or short term....mine gets a regular "workout" (several times a week), never gets used around town or in traffic and its bloody awful!

Also, its not the flywheel!

It doesn't sort the miss out, it's helped with the overun and periodical slip when you seem to want gas before the car is ready to go.

I still think it's something simple that chucks the ecu out of sync myself, might even be a fuel or coolant sensor that just doesn't know what's what until the lump has warmed up.

slime101
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I think you're right but im dammed if i can find it and even several days at VW showed nothing.

fat controller
01-11-2010, 07:52 PM
It doesn't sort the miss out, it's helped with the overun and periodical slip when you seem to want gas before the car is ready to go.

I still think it's something simple that chucks the ecu out of sync myself, might even be a fuel or coolant sensor that just doesn't know what's what until the lump has warmed up.

Certainly sounds sensible, given that the problem only shows up to the point where the car is properly warmed.

I realised today that I hadn't added any Millers recently too, simply because I've not actually brimmed the tank this month, so I stuck a slug of that into the half tank I had.

toucanspeed
03-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't know if this will work for you but had a similar problem all through the 2k-3k rev range plus an occasional stutter when accelerating hard at around 4k. The engine then ran out of puff before the 4.5k red line. I've driven similar aged 2.0tdi VW's that rev'd cleanly to 4.5k so it didn't seem right. Opted to change the fuel filter and it was filthy! Had no re-occurances of engine playing up and it rev's cleanly and smoothly to the red line. Cars done just under 60k. So in my case it was fule starvation (although why at 2-3k - maybe when turbo kicks in harshly demanding a lot of fuel and crating a vaccumm in fule filter cartridge???!!):biglaugh:

Hope it works for you.

DSG4ME
03-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Don't know if this will work for you but had a similar problem all through the 2k-3k rev range plus an occasional stutter when accelerating hard at around 4k. The engine then ran out of puff before the 4.5k red line. I've driven similar aged 2.0tdi VW's that rev'd cleanly to 4.5k so it didn't seem right. Opted to change the fuel filter and it was filthy! Had no re-occurances of engine playing up and it rev's cleanly and smoothly to the red line. Cars done just under 60k. So in my case it was fule starvation (although why at 2-3k - maybe when turbo kicks in harshly demanding a lot of fuel and crating a vaccumm in fule filter cartridge???!!):biglaugh:

Hope it works for you.

Cheers, but it's not the same thing, ours is at 1500 rpm and only when cold, I've had some more thought, I've topped the anti up twice in 10k from min to max, now I'm suspecting a pourous head or gasket that closes up once the temps are up.

toucanspeed
05-11-2010, 08:47 AM
I've just had the oil cooler replaced on the wife Touran (2.0TDI) for the same problem. Although I was sceptical as there was no water in the oil, it did fix it. Might be worth doing first as it's simple and leOil cooler was about £110-140?? + fitting.

DSG4ME
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I've just had the oil cooler replaced on the wife Touran (2.0TDI) for the same problem. Although I was sceptical as there was no water in the oil, it did fix it. Might be worth doing first as it's simple and leOil cooler was about £110-140?? + fitting.

That won't be it buddy, now the weather has dropped the car's perform as they should, it's only when there's a cold engine in a warm enviroment that it plays up, thx anyway for the pointer though.:beerchug:

fat controller
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
That won't be it buddy, now the weather has dropped the car's perform as they should, it's only when there's a cold engine in a warm enviroment that it plays up, thx anyway for the pointer though.:beerchug:

Try as I might, I cannot get my head around it - it was a right pig again for a couple of afternoons this week (mornings are fine), when the temperature was about tepid (17 or 18 degrees maybe) - as of yesterday, just a wee bit cooler (12 to 14 degrees), it behaves; indeed, yesterday evening, I was stuck in some really horrendous traffic conditions which meant a lot of light throttle use, and it was a delightful companion in the traffic (albeit that it was fully warm anyway by then).

Such a shame that it has this trait, as its really quite disconcerting when it does it (especially if you have been on the receiving end of an injector bill like I have).

TimS996
08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
My 2.0 TDI 140 Passat Estate (reg March 2006) has started hesitating at low revs. This mostly happens at between 1500 and 2000 rpm when the revs are held at the same level and tends to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. My car has the dreaded BKP engine number 103??? - not sure if it's had the 13D8 recall
I've not had it read for faults yet, just wondered if anyone had any ideas or a similar experience.
Mileage is 93k.
Thanks in advance.

Had exactly the same problem with our 140 TDI. So much so that it also seemed to stall when pulling away. Several times VW were asked to investigate and said there was nothing wrong with it. Plenty of research on here and elsewhere on the web shows that this is a trait of this engine. I gather it's not as bad with a CR.

Cured it almost completely with a remap 18 months ago. No more hesitation, slightly better fuel economy and much better in gear acceleration with less of a dead zone. Well worth getting it done.

dunkley201
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Mine was hesitating at low revs when engine cold but hot ambient outside. First of all they thought it was the DSG at fault. TSB 2016217\5 was applied (software update) . Didn't fix it, changed the Mechatronic unit. Fault returned some months later. I was convinced it was a fuel issue, not DSG. Eventually they found an engine ECU software update, TPI 2021604/2. Fixed it, not repeated since.
See the thread entitled "Jerking Passat when cold and slow pull away". It's all in there.

Quatrelle
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I think mine had a similar software fix - can't be sure, it was nearly four years ago.

bundao
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I thought I felt some hesitation a while back but as it didn't reoccur (although my missus drives the passat a lot more than I do now) I didn't think anything else of it - and never did a VCDS scan at the time.

The missus has been complaining about the cd player behaving erratically recently so I tried a scan in the vain hope of some answers.
Not surprisingly nothing on the stereo, unfortunately on the engine......

1 Fault Found:
004711 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 3 (N242): Regulation Range Exceeded
P1267 - 006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 111384 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:40:24

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1696 /min
Torque: 104.0 Nm
Speed: 35.0 km/h
75.27 %
Text: 5.000 uF
Text: 15.25 mJ
Text: 10 mJ
Raw, Form. N/A: 000 000 000

Readiness: N/AThe car has just done 70k miles now (112690km) so the mileage in the fault info would have been about the end of Oct (when I originally posted about the hesitation).

Can anyone give some more info about what the fault code and the freeze frame is trying to tell me?

Has the intermittent fault occurred 14 times since the mileage posted?
What are the values representing after the speed in the freeze frame?
How do I set the date with VCDS (so it doesn't show 2000.00.00!)?
Am I looking at some hurt in the near future?:aargh4:

Martin1810 - I did a measuring block data log for you a while back, I'll do another one tomorrow and send it to you - may or may not be any use/different of course.

DSG4ME
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
For those like me who've replaced the radio unit and get the misfire, when it comes back with the warm weather try taking the radio out, I know it sounds odd, but I'm unsure if it started with the radio or not in mine, as the radio is part of the can electrics it's possible the unit could be upsetting the settings, i'll update in June when I know mine will be chugging on cold again.

slime101
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
My radio is original and ive got the mis-fire, it seems to be behaving at the moment but then its cold.

I eventually heard back from VW head office, they are a bunch of *****, no sense of corporate responsibility at all - total waste of space.

martin1810
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I thought I felt some hesitation a while back but as it didn't reoccur (although my missus drives the passat a lot more than I do now) I didn't think anything else of it - and never did a VCDS scan at the time.

The missus has been complaining about the cd player behaving erratically recently so I tried a scan in the vain hope of some answers.
Not surprisingly nothing on the stereo, unfortunately on the engine......

The car has just done 70k miles now (112690km) so the mileage in the fault info would have been about the end of Oct (when I originally posted about the hesitation).

Can anyone give some more info about what the fault code and the freeze frame is trying to tell me?

Has the intermittent fault occurred 14 times since the mileage posted?
What are the values representing after the speed in the freeze frame?
How do I set the date with VCDS (so it doesn't show 2000.00.00!)?
Am I looking at some hurt in the near future?:aargh4:

Martin1810 - I did a measuring block data log for you a while back, I'll do another one tomorrow and send it to you - may or may not be any use/different of course.

I think you are beginning to see the first signs of oil getting into the piezo unit. If this continues a "short" will register in the ecu for too long and the ecu will shut down...injector failure. You could try. Get some electrical contact spray from maplin. protect the engine from spray. Use a small tube to try to get some under/round the plastic cap on the piezo unit of the injector. This might work but it might make things worse.
Mt website gives you a clue to what I mean. See piezo injector.

bundao
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your reply Martin.

I cleared the fault and it didn't come back after a 60 odd mile trip, but this morning I drove it 9 miles to drop it off at the garage to do my cambelt and the fault had reoccurred.

1 Fault Found:
004711 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 3 (N242): Regulation Range Exceeded
P1267 - 006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 112783 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 07:19:59

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1824 /min
Torque: 160.0 Nm
Speed: 47.0 km/h
74.88 %
Text: 5.000 uF
Text: 14.50 mJ
Text: 11 mJ
Raw, Form. N/A: 000 000 000

Readiness: N/A

It must have happened in the first minute or so of driving (engine cold). I didn't feel anything though and I was listening out for it.

Martin - is the oil problem you talk about the reason the injectors die on these engines?
Looking at the measuring blocks I see that injector 3 runs about 5 Volts higher than the others (141 - 142V). Is this a tell tale sign as well?
Do you know what voltage the ecu delivers on a brand new injector?

If its only a matter of time now, what are peoples opinions - should I sell it and let it be someone elses problem?

martin1810
04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I have looked at all the injector figures I have and at your logs. The average injector voltage from my collection is 138 volts but the ranges seems to be in the 130 - 150 region. This makes 142V a little high but not too high. I think you are playing a wait and see game.

Redroco
16-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Mileage is 93k.
Thanks in advance.

I have a A4 S-LINE QUATTRO SE 170 it has the same problem BRD engine. I have not got a clue. Have changed the Air Mass meter just in case. No different am stumped.

Redroco
16-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I have one more theory on it, it could be a slight head gasket leak that seals up one warmed up, or maybe porous head.

The other suspects that I might gamble on are the coolant temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor, both are cheap to replace, but I think it will be a false hope myself, I've not booked mine in after reading of a Superb owner who booked in 5 times without a result, I can't afford the time off the road, and I don't want other things getting broken during the hunt, it's annoying for 10 minutes each day, but I compensate it with either sport mode or try to keep the revs up as much as possible out of that band, I think eventually it's going to signal no more VAG for me, not sold on the "new" Passat due for launch early next year anyway, and having had two families from the same family with the same etiquette regarding accountability I think it will be time to move on elsewhere.

I'll give you an example, recently Toyota have recalled cars for a fault that can cause the car to cut out at speed on the motorway, VW's injector faults cause the same problem, as it's been happening since 2006 and they've still not done anything about it, I don't think they will, I used Toyota as an example, but both Peugeot and Vauxhall always endevoured to fix my cars willingly, I wouldn't have another French car, but the Vauxhall will always be a contender purely because I hadly had any trouble from them, and even if the car lacked style, it didn't lack anything else, and a very safe strong shell they build as well.

Here's what a Vectra looks like after a van hits it side on at an estimated 50mph, inside as you can see the bags deployed, and the seat is still in position and the doors didn't burst.

Ive the same problem with s-line quattro se 170- 2-0ltr diesel 2007, BRD engine code. Ive replaced temp sensor, thermostat, air mass meter, new air filter, the turbo boost sensor. Still same problem hesitation between 1500-2500 revs, especially when in crawling traffic. I am trying to go through things one at a time, next am replacing the fuel filter, then vac pipes. Its baffling, no fault codes at all. If I get a result I will post it A.S.A.P.

Imizz
10-12-2011, 11:50 PM
My b6 170 sport 2008 has just started jerking and stalling, switched off couple of times..
I have had the injectors replaced from vw dealers free as I had the faulty ones.. Been fine up until yesterday it started jerking while slowing down to 2nd gear, but today it has stalled 3 times, the car feels bogged down, when applying gas you can feels back pressure build up, turbo lag, so currently made it home and parked it up..

No dash or cel lights displaying and have checked all pipes connectors all seems fine visually..
Any info or help please??

Crasher
11-12-2011, 01:38 AM
A code read to start with.

jam123
03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi im new to this forum so firstly hello all. Secondly the problem that you are all experiencing happens during EGR on/off, I have cured 3 tdis that hesitate/misfire symptom all happen around 1500/2000 rpm usually town driving or just gone over a speed hump. Anyway there is a modified egr gasket that goes on the pipe directly onto the EGR instead of the big hole that matches the diameter of the pipe and EGR its a gasket with a smaller hole. Ill see if I can dig the part number out but might be a week or so before i can.

fat controller
03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Interesting - is it a hard thing to swap out?

jam123
04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Interesting - is it a hard thing to swap out?
No 5 mins max two bolts pull the pipe out and replace gasket. If you take the engine cover off it's right at the front of the engine. I'll try and get the part number of the gasket for you this week.

Crasher
04-08-2012, 09:41 AM
069 131 547 D, nothing special about it though, a 32-mm bore gasket, £2.60 from VW.

jam123
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
069 131 547 D, nothing special about it though, a 32-mm bore gasket, £2.60 from VW.
Hi no that's the standard gasket. Just got the part no its 028 131 547B has about a 10mm hole

Crasher
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
9-mm hole hot end gasket mainly used on the Golf 3/Passat with the AAZ 1.9 TD 75PS engine. I can see no campaign or TPI info about using this on the cold end of the EGR system and I worry this would cause a restricted flow code. Where have you seen information provided by VAG suggesting this is used?

jam123
04-08-2012, 12:21 PM
9-mm hole hot end gasket mainly used on the Golf 3/Passat with the AAZ 1.9 TD 75PS engine. I can see no campaign or TPI info about using this on the cold end of the EGR system and I worry this would cause a restricted flow code. Where have you seen information provided by VAG suggesting this is used?
No it doesn't log any restricted air flow faults or any other fault. Can't remember where I got this info from.

nabzz
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi no that's the standard gasket. Just got the part no its 028 131 547B has about a 10mm hole

Hi guys and gals
i'm having the same problem as all with the juddering at 1500 to 2300 rpm. has any one tried the gasket change?

Quatrelle
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
13D8 - have a look under the boot carpet, there might be a sticker there to say it's been done. Still doesn't mean it hasn't been done if there's no sticker.

It's not connected to your problem of course. There was another 'recall' to fix low revs bogging down, can't remember the code but it was done on mine (96/97 model). That was another boot sticker.

Dealer should be able to check for you.

Crasher
08-11-2012, 12:06 AM
13D8? Isn't that the recall for cars with the early 2006/7 spur gear drive failure issue/? Too late to look it up...! Ohh God I should not know these numbers off the top of my head, going to bed now...

Quatrelle
08-11-2012, 01:56 PM
13D8? Isn't that the recall for cars with the early 2006/7 spur gear drive failure issue/? Too late to look it up...! Ohh God I should not know these numbers off the top of my head, going to bed now...

Can't remember myself - I know it wasn't anything to do with the OP's problem, but since he mentioned it I thought I'd try to point him in the right direction.