PDA

View Full Version : Locking wheel nut removal

Tony_Essex
07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok so I naively thought that rotating my tyres would be an easy job....but I am really struggling removing the locking wheel nuts. The spanner+locking wheel nut key that VW provides just keeps slipping off the nut (I am having to use my foot to untighten the nuts as there are so tight).

Does anyone have any advice on what Spanner I could use to remove these..... It makes me wonder how you are supposed to change the wheels at the roadside when you get a flat tyre...

Thanks

Tony

kite
07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
someones done them up too tight.
Take it to a local tyre place and ask them to loosen the nuts for you.
I had this problem on a TT, I gave the guy a drink and he was well pleased.

DSG4ME
07-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Or use a breaker bar and socket, with the locknut, make sure it's 100% snug on the bolt before you apply pressure or you will shred the pattern.

g-black
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Or use a breaker bar and socket, with the locknut, make sure it's 100% snug on the bolt before you apply pressure or you will shred the pattern.

Or you might end up doing what my brother did and broke the whole top of the lock nut after fitting his brand new BBS!

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/gblackb6/Passat/6194f7fc.jpg

Tony_Essex
07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the responses :) ... I think I'll get myself a decent wheel brace and try and remove them again. If all else fails I'll go to my local tyre place, but I would rather do it myself so I can deal with punctures etc.

kite
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Have them loosened by the tyre place.
The locker should not be torqued to same as the other nuts

brightside
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
A+ replys by all

Get a mate to hit the brace with a hammer as you turn the locknut.
If you still can't get it off there are locking nut remover sockets you can get that are reverse splined, but they can balls the nut up.

LOCKING wheen nut's are only there to stop people from pinching your wheels.
They only need to be just past finger tight really. But sounds like some twonk has gone mad with an airgun. And thats why we dont use them in work, all done by hand using braces.
Especially seeing as on most VAG car's, the nuts corrode and get sticky as it is.
Get some copper slip on them when you put them back on to help prevent this.

If you lived closer I would of sorted it for you, but either way hope you get it sorted.

Quatrelle
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Have you tried a manual impact wrench? Hitting it with a hammer pushes the socket onto the nut, so it won't slip off.

Tony_Essex
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks all..great advice. I will be trying a much bigger wheel brace tomorrow..and will definitely be putting some copper slip on the nuts when I get them out.

vwcabriolet1971
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Hopefully you'll put the copper anti-seize coating on ,after the bolts have had a good wire brushing to remove the rust.