PDA

View Full Version : VW Badged Bury CC9060 Bluetooth kit

lucid
06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
I got this fitted with my new mk6 about 6 months ago and have some issues:
Voice dial is mostly useless, the text reading function doesn't work (btw the phone used is fully compatible with this for these functions), and the ringer doesn't operate.

But most annoying is the fact that the satnav on the phone is muted when connected and doesn't come through the speakers.

This may be due to the fact that an additional lead should have been fitted at installation (part no.000051444N) Audio In harness for A2DP streaming (fitment required for A2DP music streaming).

The A2DP is working and the unit can control the media player on the phone (Nokia N95) but no sound is heard. I suspect if his lead were fitted I would have audio on the satnav passing through the bluetooth kit. So if you get one of these units fitted make sure they fit this lead. I'm not sure it comes as standard with the kit but the price is about £20.

The original non badged bury kit has had several firmware updates with improved functionality but the VW version will NOT take these updates, I've tried. I put the kit in update mode and connected via the laptop and the bury software loader recognised the kit but the vw version needs specific firmware.

I attached a screen grab from the loader before the failed update, I wonder does anyone know if there is any updated VW firmware for these, no one has a clue at the dealers, they didn't even know about the additional lead.

stevelewis_99
08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I have the same issues! From all my research (via google) to date, VW don't have any firmware updates, and others who have asked the dealers about this don't seem to get anywhere either.

I think that you are right in that another lead is required for A2DP, but I'm not yet sure if there is an input on the head unit to take it, without loosing the MDI interface (iPod etc).

I also tried the bury updates (which include ability to use handfree profile instead of headset, which should route ALL phone audio via the handfree).
But I went one stage further, inside the zip file of the firmware, there is an XML file which lists the hardware that the firmware is intended for. So I changed one of the lines so that it matched the hardware as shown in your screenshot. Took a few attempts to get it right, and finally I watched in amazement as my laptop started uploading the firmware...

Then, once it fininshed it tried to apply it - the car kit screen threw an error and rebooted itself! So I guess this confirms that the firmware isn't compatible even if you try and trick it!

I'm not sure where to go from here, as I would really like to be able to update the firmware - I have considered the idea of a rip and replace with the true Bury equivilent hoping that the wiring and possibly the screen would be the same, and just swap the 'brain' over.

Here is a link to the best source of info I have found to date:
http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/bury-cc9060-bluetooth-car-kit-and-software-update-t5528-20.html

My car is due a service now so I may go and have a moan with the dealer and see what happens.

johnloaderuk
08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm wondering if there are different models and/or software. The one in my Passat was factory fitted, not dealer fitted, and although I don't rate the system at all, it does work ok in all respects (as far as I can tell, I just don't like it as I had the VW premium system before which was superior in all respects).
Mine shows the VW logo on the screen, but I know some don't, maybe you both have a different version to the one I have ?. See picture.

stevelewis_99
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I think that you may have the touch phone adaptor as opposed to the kit - quite confusing!

Touch adaptor: http://www.volkswagenaccessories.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=3C0051435TA

Touch kit: http://www.volkswagenaccessories.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=000051473A

lucid
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
The VW kit is identical hardware to the CC9060 Bury original. I suspect they are using a custom boot loader in the ROM. Technically you should be able to replace the boot section with a bury version and make the unit a bury one you would need a combined boot and firmware file. I know someone who is expert on this sort of thing so will ask him when I get the chance. Often when updating the files are loaded into RAM and while there, there is often a way to retrieve them. To make the VW firmware from the latest bury files is a tiny job less then 30 mins so they are just lazy. I also have the VW loader software and an early firmware file 124.

The parts dept at my dealers are getting on to head office tech about this though i don't know how long it will take. Also the additional lead isn't listed on the uk parts system. I had found the scirocco forum too and also tried altering the XML file with no luck. If you could attach your xml file zipped that would be useful also. In addition which bury firmware did you try this with? oddly i found on the bury site the latest file was 214 then in the archive i found a newer file 220.

If we get no joy they're gonna rip out the vw kit and replace it with a bury original, as far as i'm concerned the vw isn't fit for purpose. They used to fit the bury originals i'm told so why now fit the vw badged ones if they don't support them.

On another note don't get the VW (bury badged kit) if you have the MDI and the new Iphone 4. i tested this and it doesn't work properly. If uou connect to the MDI via the supplied lead the MDI controls the iphone for music just fine but it all goes wrong when the phone then pairs with the bluetooth kit. The music is still playing on the phone but is then no longer routed via the MDi although it can be seen playing through the MD and can be controlled, but there is no audio.

I use a 500Gb hard drive in the MDi and then connect the bluetooth kit and the music plays from the HDD but is only muted when you make or receive a call.

If i get anymore info or the illusive A2dps lead i will report back. That edited XML file would be useful steve ;-).

Also could others on this thread post the date they got the BT kit and the hardware and software versions they are using by looking in the settings device - system.

stevelewis_99
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Lucid - that's a great bit of info... it sounds like you may be onto something! I hope so anyway..

I've attached the XML file as requested, the only line i changed was:

<device name="CC9060_VW_OZ" variant="VW_OZ" id="">

And it was the 214 firmware... I had wondered if doing something with one of the older firmware versions might have been worth a try, but don't know so much about how this firmware stuff works.

Maybe there are a few more modifications/hacks that might get us further...

johnloaderuk
10-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I think that you may have the touch phone adaptor as opposed to the kit - quite confusing!

Touch adaptor: http://www.volkswagenaccessories.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=3C0051435TA

Touch kit: http://www.volkswagenaccessories.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=000051473A

You are right, I do have the adaptor type.

lucid
10-09-2010, 03:04 PM
yes defo worth a look, maybe an earlier fw may have the boot file also i havent yet looked, the easiest way would be to make the vw kit a bury one with a FULL FLASH file then we could upgrade to the latest update.

lucid
10-09-2010, 04:17 PM
There is a loader.ldr file included with the firmware maybe we need to use a VW file with it. The 124 firmware says touch adapter not kit though??

Here's someone else with woes...
http://www.billbuchan.com/imported-20091119232548/2010/9/8/the-bury-cc9060-vw-car-kit-update.html

stevelewis_99
12-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I've just tried the xml trick with both 0174 and the earliest I could find: 0142.

Both failed in exactly the same way, and the xml file couldn't be simpler for 0142 so I don't see where we can go next with the hacking route...

So annoying!

lucid
13-09-2010, 01:28 AM
The xml file is specific to the firmware version and contains checksums for all the files concerned that are updated, it checks the pcb board and ROM chip also. But I suspect the boot loader is the issue here. With the xml altered correctly the files upload to the head unit and it fails at the end.

If we had an original vw firmware we could try using the loader.ldr file from that. All I have is the touch adapter 124 file from here.
http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/update_touchadapter.html

But i don't know what would happen if the loader.ldr file was used from this 1.24 file and if it is the same as that used in the touch kit.

This is the 220 xml file i used (attached) but when i look at the loader in a hex editor it seems to be specific to the unit. So am not sure what would happen if you try flash with the wrong loader, whether it backs up the original or bricks the unit. But come to think of it we are using the wrong loader from the bury file so its worth a shot i guess, but the 124 ldr file does say touchadapter in its hex not touch kit. Maybe the original and new loader files must match?

Maybe someone can access erwin to see if there are any files in there?

r6ymy
29-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I contacted Bury about this today and they advised they could update the control box to the latest version of software for €20 plus €7 postage.
The only other option I could see was to buy a new control box for £60.

I think I'll get the box (they requested the screen also) sent back to Bury, hopefully then it will be loaded with the generic firmware so will be compatible with any future updates.

lucid
31-10-2010, 10:51 AM
now that is something positive though i will be pushing for my dealer to cover this cost as i suspect it will be cheaper than them replacing it with a bury badged unit which they already agreed to if we couldn't find another way.

the salesman who convinced me about this unit had originally sold it to me as having extra functionality than the bury unit and fully supported with updates.

blackflys
05-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Anybody with a hack? I talked to Bury and them told me that they couldnt upgrade the unit for me.

lucid
07-11-2010, 01:47 PM
what do u mean blackflys they wouldn't do it or vw wouldn't? we tried what we could re a hack so far. i suspect the boot loader needs changing in the eeprom for it to accept the bury firmware. To do that we would need a full flash file.

blackflys
09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Bury wouldnt upgrade neither would VW. I have given up this product. Going to return it back to the VW dealer.

lucid
09-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I contacted Bury about this today and they advised they could update the control box to the latest version of software for €20 plus €7 postage.
The only other option I could see was to buy a new control box for £60.

I think I'll get the box (they requested the screen also) sent back to Bury, hopefully then it will be loaded with the generic firmware so will be compatible with any future updates.

Hmmm from this i assumed bury would sort it...

stevelewis_99
16-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Can anyone confirm yet if replacing only the box gets you a proper bury kit? (And that there's not some limitation caused by the screen?)

I'm tempted with that solution to end all the woes - but not sure if it will work for sure...

stevelewis_99
17-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Update: reply from bury....

"many thanks for your enquiry regarding our Bury product range.
You must change the Black box and the Screen, the wiring is the same."

Bels
25-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Hello all

New member here :)

Has anyone had any further luck with this issue? I'm currently experiencing issues with the VW touch phone kit and my Motorola Atrix.

I'm unsure if it's the same issue as what's being experienced with the iphones but mine will work fine initially when first paired up until the ignition is switched off. When subsequently switching the ignition back on, the phone connects up again but keeps disconnecting after initiating a call or not acknowledging when a call comes in.

Just found trawling the web tonight this link http://www.volkswagen.de/de/servicezubehoer/VolkswagenOriginalZubehoer/Downloads/Software-Updates_und_Anleitungen.html

There's links on the site to a 0214 update as well as an update manager. I'm going to give it a go updating mine tomorrow some time but thought others would like to know as well.

Cheers

Edit: Just for the record, my VW dealer who fitted the kit doesn't want to know about the issues, blaming the phone and is very unwilling to look into the issue further. I've also contacted Bury direct and was directed to go back to VW.

blackflys
25-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I cant find the 0214 download link? Can you give us the full link?

lucid
25-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Just had a look on there, there is a new version of the VW update manager. Not that it makes a lot of difference as the Bury update manager software works fine with actually connecting to the unit. The issue we have is not having the latest firmware (as per the bury version) that is compatible with the vw unit. All the software on there is for the touch adapter not the touch kit though. And there is a 216 file.
Here are the links.

VW Update manager:
http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/softwareupdate/TouchAdapterVoice/RS7093_Setup_VW_UpdtMngr_V02.zip

Touch Adapter Voice 216 update:
http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/softwareupdate/TouchAdapterVoice/RS7091_TouchAdapterVoice-v0216_small.zip

I think he meant 124 not 214. Here's a link for the 124 file:
http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/softwareupdate/TouchAdapter/TouchAdapter-v0124.zip

Re the motorola phone have a look on a http://androidforums.com/ I'm sure i was reading something the other day about disconnection issues.

If you do decide to try flash the touch adapter firmware please post back to say what happens.

EDIT;
The latest bury firmware for the CC9060 is now version 232:
http://www.bury.com/cms/fileadmin/downloads/software/EN/CC9060-v0232_small.zip

Worth noting that the files in here are very similar to the vw touch adapter 216 update, so maybe worth trying. If the 216 update doesn't take maybe it will with an edited xml file?

lucid
25-04-2011, 11:06 PM
While they're busy crowing about supplying 100,000 of these units in a year maybe they could try supporting us who wasted our money. Really neither vw or bury can be bothered to spend 1 hour to configure their update to work to fix all the issues. disappointing.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bury.com%2Fcms%2Fat%2Fmeta%2Fpr esse%2Fpressemitteilungen%2Fdetailansicht%2Farticl e%2Fdie-firma-bury-hat-ueber-100000touch-adapter-an-volkswagen-verkauft.html&act=url

The Bluetooth adapter for touch-Volkswagen has been
more than 100,000 Volkswagen driver convinced

The company supplies various components BURY as original equipment to leading companies in the automotive industry. There, the delivered products are then assembled in series assembly.

A special feature of the company BURY is competence, the various technologies - software development, electronics development, electronic development and plastics processing - in the house can connect to. Thus, a very wide range of products and developments are covered and supported.

has developed that is the success story of the Bluetooth-Touch adapter, for the BURY Volkswagen - Over 100,000 units sold in just over a year. The secret of success: The touch-adapter enables secure and convenient mobile phone while driving a car by the cell phone connects wirelessly via Bluetooth mobile phone preparation with Volkswagen. It also provides a large touch screen display a user-friendly operation.

The Bluetooth Adapter is a quick touch in the cradle of the Volkswagen used mobile phone preparation and is due to its high resolution 2.8-inch touchscreen display and innovative features for its high communication comfort. Thanks to the clear and clearly arranged controls the Bluetooth adapter can touch the screen to intuitively by touch.

A special highlight: the Bluetooth technology, the device can automatically synchronize with the phonebook of the mobile phone. Linked to the Volkswagen audio system optimum signal transfer, and voice and sound reproduction is guaranteed.

The Bluetooth adapter can touch with the appropriate mobile phone use in all Volkswagen with mobile phone preparation. This is a great success for the company BURY

r6ymy
26-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Lucid,

Got your PM, typed out a long reply, then got an error message saying I can't reply to PM's until I have at least 10 posts on the site.

I didn't get around to sending the control box back to Bury to be reprogrammed, and it's unlikely I will now.

When I thought about it I decided to live without the voice commands from my phone through the Bury, as with my previous H/F kit what would happen is that the phone maintained the connection all the time you have the sat nav functioning, so on a long journey, once you get on the motorway you have silnce for long periods of time, and can't listen to music. I have been switching off bluetooth on the phone, and p[laying the sat nav commands through the phone speaker. Not ideal, as you then can't make/receive calls hands free.

I've just changed handsets, and chose a new phone without thinkingtpo check compatibility with the Bury first.
I now have a Motorola Defy, which isn't compatible.
It works handsfree for making and receiving calls, and the voice commands work, but it won't read out text messages.

The person I spoke to at Bury regarding the reprogramming was Dean, on the number from the web site Hotline Tel: +49 (0)1805 - 84 24 68.
He said to return the control box and screen to the service department at

BURY GmbH & Co. KG
im Hause DPD Depot 103
D-03222 Lübbenau
Enclose a letter with your contact details and email address.

lucid
26-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info re Bury. I'm fed up with it and am gonna contact bury to see if they will re flash the ROM. If i had the damn file i'd do it myself i cant imagine they would have to jtag it.

Now i need to remove the control unit from the car, though not sure exactly where its fitted. If anyone has any advice or instruction here I'd be grateful.

stevelewis_99
27-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Hello again...

I gave up with all the hacking attempts - I just could not flash that VW kit with the bury firmware update.

I decided to take the hit and buy a bury cc9060 kit, where I just replaced the 'brain' box and the display - you can reuse the existing cable for the mic, and also bracket mounts from the VW kit.

For me, the box was mounted behind the radio and therefore very easy to replace once you take the radio out (plenty of tips on removing the trim using a nectar card can be found online, which reveals the screws to remove the radio).

Look where the wires go from the LCD screen and it should give you a clue where the box is hidden!

Steve

lucid
27-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks steve, my lcd screen is on the rhs near the corner window vent, so will have to see if i can get the control box out. I don't think the touch adapter files would work as the PCB doesn't match that of the touch kit, which can be seen if you compare the xml files.

lucid
21-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Just a quick update here...

I haven't done any more with this since last posting but had something happen yesterday, which shows something.
using an HTC Desire HD android gingerbread phone with Sygic satnav on. I then connected the vw bury unit, minimised my satnav and switched on bluetooth then connected to the phone.
I then made a call via the phone. ( I noticed there was an option to route the call via speaker or BT though I didn't alter it as it was set to BT symbol.)

I then maximised the satnav again and continued the phone conversation. All of a sudden the satnav instructions from the phone are coming through the loudspeakers in the car during the phone call. When the phone call is disconnected the satnav audio is again muted.

This shows that the system works and that the satnav audio can be transmitted via BT to the unit and the problem is purely a switching issue with the vw bury unit. In that it is muting everything when the call is disconnected.

lucid
02-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Just wanted to update this old thread with some new info:
Finally had the VW bury ripped out and replaced. If you remember the VW badged one had no updates of firmware or support from either Bury or VW and muted the phone handset for SatNav instructions and wouldn't play them over BT either.

On advice from both a local fitter (specific to VW) and Bury I was advised to get the CC9068 which i was assured would work.

After initial install i was horrified that the problem was now reversed. Now the BT audio from the SatNav played through the system but was on "Phone" mode permanently when a Satnav app was running on the phone. Effectively meaning you could not use the radio, play a cd or use the MDI kit.

This was even worse than before. The only solution was to disable the A2DP so the satnav instructions at least played through the phone speaker.

I'm happy to say though that after a 2 hour phone call to Bury in Germany and a lengthy email, they released a firmware update for the Bury that fixes the problem and the unit behaves as i want. Its not perfect but it better than it was.

Now i connect my phone to the Bury and also let the A2DP connect and wait a moment or two then start the SatNav app. This works with Sygic, Tomtom and navigon as well as google maps and waze. I notic navigon is very quiet though. I can use the radio/cd/MDI for music but when a navigation instruction is needed the radio is muted and displays phone and the nav instructions is played through the car speakers via BT. After the instruction has finished the radio is enabled again and if using the MDI, as I do the music continues from where it left off.

This time though I had the display panel of the bury fitted in the slide tray as its out of the way. I saw this pic from another forum (below) and its fine there.
So if anyone still has this issue I can at least report the CC9068 with newest firmware is an improvement.

EDIT:
I am using the firmware version 125 released 18th Nov 2013, but oddly there seems to be a release on the 17th December 2013 also but this is version 111, it says. maybe that is the earlier version of the firmware that unit was originally shipped with.

Ferg446
03-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Lucid,

Thank you very much for taking the time to keep everyone updated on the issues which are being encountered with the VW Touch Screen Kit. I purchased a 09 VW Passat CC this week which has a VW Touch Bluetooth system installed. There is no user manual with the car so I have had to source one online. I have managed to get hold of a Bury CC9060 manual and I am going to attempt fixing the problem with this manual.

The problem is very strange. For the first couple of days the BT Sync with my Samsung Atis V Windows 8 Phone worked perfectly with the kit. As soon, as I plugged in the phone charger to the car I have lost all call sound. The phone connects to the Touch Kit and all of the phone data is outlined on the Touch interface however when I make a call I cannot hear anything in the car.

Have you ever encountered a problem like this before? Is there a factory reset button which I can press on the Touch Kit which might assist in syncing up. I really don’t know what has went wrong. I am going to try sync another phone up this evening to see if this is a phone or touch kit issue.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

lucid
03-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi Lucid,

Thank you very much for taking the time to keep everyone updated on the issues which are being encountered with the VW Touch Screen Kit. I purchased a 09 VW Passat CC this week which has a VW Touch Bluetooth system installed. There is no user manual with the car so I have had to source one online. I have managed to get hold of a Bury CC9060 manual and I am going to attempt fixing the problem with this manual.

The problem is very strange. For the first couple of days the BT Sync with my Samsung Atis V Windows 8 Phone worked perfectly with the kit. As soon, as I plugged in the phone charger to the car I have lost all call sound. The phone connects to the Touch Kit and all of the phone data is outlined on the Touch interface however when I make a call I cannot hear anything in the car.

Have you ever encountered a problem like this before? Is there a factory reset button which I can press on the Touch Kit which might assist in syncing up. I really don’t know what has went wrong. I am going to try sync another phone up this evening to see if this is a phone or touch kit issue.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Hi Ferg

When I had the VW touchkit I never had those kind of issues, the kit seemed to work ok as a hands free, apart from voicedial being rubbish and no sms message support. There is a factory reset within the setup menus somewhere i remember that much. The new Bury CC9068 is not too dissimilar, apart from the fact that it works. The problem with the VW touchkit is that there have been no firmware updates and it may not fully support your phone model. Windows phones are known to be problematic and may well be dumped anyway by Microsoft as they have very poor sales and apps. Its worth noting that MS have just purchased Nokia who were the last manufacturer to agree continuing support for win phone, and Nokia are now releasing Android phones instead and may eventually discontinue the win phone platform.

I would try reset the touchkit and start again and try re connecting with the power connected. I wonder whether (assuming its usb power connector) whether the phone is enabling some other usb connection mode when you're plugging in the power. I don't really have much specific knowledge of win phone as I use android.

The best advice i would say is get rid of the touchkit and replace it with the Bury CC9068. Only the control box and wiring into the head unit needs replacing. The microphone and mount i think is the same. And then update its firmware, it supports most phones.

Ferg446
04-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi Lucid,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have managed to reset the Touch Kit and also the my WP. Thankfully the speech is being transmitted across the speakers now.

As for the other services (music, messaging etc) none of these works. I have had to fork out a considerable amount on the car so I am going to hold on to the current kit for now!! I am aware of the poor service and app support with WP however I got a great deal on the phone so going to hold on to it for now.

I am conscious of connecting up the power charger to the phone now so I might hold off doing this and look to get my money back.

Thanks,
Ferg

JulkTheHulk
06-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Hi fellas, I have read through this thread and wow seems like a very problematic unit. The Bluetooth unit itself works fine for me, but for some reason the aux port in the car now plays music only via the left speakers. I have changed the balance to check and the right speaker does have some music output but at very low volume in comparison to the left. Yet when playing the radio/cd all speakers work fine. I have the rns510 media unit and bury cc9060 fitted. It came with the car. I bought a vw scirocco last week. Could this be a case of poor installation? Or is it a firmware issue?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

lucid
09-02-2017, 04:18 AM
Hi fellas, I have read through this thread and wow seems like a very problematic unit. The Bluetooth unit itself works fine for me, but for some reason the aux port in the car now plays music only via the left speakers. I have changed the balance to check and the right speaker does have some music output but at very low volume in comparison to the left. Yet when playing the radio/cd all speakers work fine. I have the rns510 media unit and bury cc9060 fitted. It came with the car. I bought a vw scirocco last week. Could this be a case of poor installation? Or is it a firmware issue?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

With my Golf Mk6 there is an AUX input that comes with the car that goes to the stereo system you can't use it and the MDI at the same time. The Bury kit has a separate AUX input that routes it through it then to the Stereo. It can be controlled by the Bury display unit. I guess it depends which AUX unit you mean? If it's the Bury unit you can adjust the balance within it in its settings. Also there are some settings for installation mode which as far as i recall control whether it goes to just the front speakers or all of them.

So if its the AUX for the Bury 1st check the settings on the bury. If it's the AUX on the car itself/ or stereo then check the settings on the stereo unit.
If that doesn't solve it i would guess its the wiring as the firmware on the VW badged bury units can't be updated, only the actual Bury ones can.

NB
Do check the cables you are using 1st to connect any device into the AUX to make sure they are all ok and check the output of the device your plugging in to make sure that its not faulty and that the actual track your testing with is proper stereo and has output from left and Right.