PDA

View Full Version : Golf Plus Headlight Non Working

plus6
05-09-2010, 10:37 PM
The O/S headlight in my golf plus stopped working, ive changed the bulb but its still not working, swopped the holders, put left to right, so bulb is deffo ok, cant figure out prob.

any ideas, checked manual says fuse is a40amp in the engine bay but thats ok too

appreciate your thoughts

phil miller
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
hello mate and welcome to the site, have you checked to see if you have a live feed to the bulb? or even to the headlight itself? also i think i know the answer but has your car got zenons or HID's?

Crasher
05-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Possibly a problem with the central electrics computer.

phil miller
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM

could be, didnt want to scare him just yet lol, it could just be a dodgey connection on the headlight main plug, had that with mine and it wasnt untill i found i had power to that plug and nothing to the bulb that i found the fault

plus6
06-09-2010, 02:50 PM
hello mate and welcome to the site, have you checked to see if you have a live feed to the bulb? or even to the headlight itself? also i think i know the answer but has your car got zenons or HID's?

thanks for responding, the car just has standard 2 pin halogen bulbs known as 477 or 499

plus6
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM

so what needs to be done to sort that

phil miller
06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
first off id check if you have any feed to the bulb (at the plug) if not id then see if you have a feed to the main plug on the back of the headlight, if you dont have one then i think you should start looking with vagcom or simelar

plus6
07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
first off id check if you have any feed to the bulb (at the plug) if not id then see if you have a feed to the main plug on the back of the headlight, if you dont have one then i think you should start looking with vagcom or simelar

Ok Appreciate that will try it tonight

plus6
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Hi Phil

Would you know which fuse would cover that headlamp, the manual says its a large 40amp fuse in the engine bay, but i was wondering if one of the smaller fuses would do it

Crasher
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
They are not fused individually so if one side works, the fuse is not blown. The central electrics unit is fused but the output from the CE unit is direct and not fused.

plus6
07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
They are not fused individually so if one side works, the fuse is not blown. The central electrics unit is fused but the output from the CE unit is direct and not fused.

whereabouts is the ce unit, can it be tested, is it expensive to replace

Crasher
08-09-2010, 09:12 AM
The “onboard supply control unit” or Central Electrics unit is under the dash on the right, you need a fault code read doing with some output tests to determine if the CE unit is at fault. They are around £250 plus labour and coding which I imagine would add another £150 or so at VW. If I was doing this, I would gain access to the CE unit and disconnect plug A and then check the continuity from pin 2 on the yellow/blue wire right up to the headlight plug at pin 6. If the continuity was there and all other lights functioned correctly I would put 12v down the line and see if the bulb illuminated, if it did you could assume that the CE unit was at fault. Then again it may have a fault code stored anyway; there is only one way to find out…

plus6
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
The “onboard supply control unit” or Central Electrics unit is under the dash on the right, you need a fault code read doing with some output tests to determine if the CE unit is at fault. They are around £250 plus labour and coding which I imagine would add another £150 or so at VW. If I was doing this, I would gain access to the CE unit and disconnect plug A and then check the continuity from pin 2 on the yellow/blue wire right up to the headlight plug at pin 6. If the continuity was there and all other lights functioned correctly I would put 12v down the line and see if the bulb illuminated, if it did you could assume that the CVE unit was at fault. Then again it may have a fault code stored anyway; there is only one way to find out…

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate all your help on this, Many Thanks