PDA

View Full Version : Glowplug Relay Failure?

colinwillsher
05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
My Golf TDI (1996) has always started first turn of the key - even though it has now done 238,000 miles.

Just recently, turning the key cranks the engine but it will not fire immediately. Usually this takes several seconds to fire, and the battery has clearly started to run down.

My garage has replaced the fuel filter, which made no difference, and has now replaced the glow plugs, which has also made no difference. I have fitted a new battery - still no difference.

A friend has noticed that the glow plug light comes on and almost instantly goes off, and suggests the glow plug relay ( 109?) needs replacing.

Any thoughts please?

colinwillsher

teeforjon
14-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Seems likely that the relay has failed, or lost good contact. I have the same with the Alhambra I just bought [1.9TDi], as does a colleague :( . Between us we hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

CHEESYSPIDER
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi Colin, any luck with this starting problem yet? I'm having exactly the same issues with my Alhambra TDI. Cheers Mark G

teeforjon
10-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Reading similar threads here and on Alhambra, Galaxy related sites, I get the impression that this is quite common. It's a great motor,but servicing it oneself is not always easy [it is so cramped under the bonnet]. I shall probably rig up a heavy-duty relay, with a switch on the dash, and just count to five or so before turning the starter.