PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L Petrol (130PS) Gearbox

Diggle
19-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Morning Folks,

I'm in the process of buying an 03/03 2.0L petrol estate from a VW franchise. The car has a smidge less than 20K on the clock. During the test drive I noticed that when changing up or down into second I could 'feel' the gearbox motion through the gearshift. This was a medium frequency cyclic vibration and not something I've noticed during three and a half years of driving my 1.8 20V. The dealer has offered to get it checked by their technicians and put right any fault. Do I need to worry?!!

Any advice on whether this is normal or an incipient fault gratefully received.

Cheers.

D.

Gavin78
20-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I have a 1.8 20V with a similar problem - diagnosed as a worn syncromesh. The fix is quite expensive (replacement/recon gearbox) which makes it pointless on a 100k+ miles car. Don't know much about later Passats but it does sound odd that a car with such low miles should be having gearbox problems??????

Diggle
20-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for that Gavin78. Kind of confirms my worries as I had heard that gearbox problems on low milers are not unknown. Its looking like a probable deal breaker.

Cheers,

D.

glynnd
23-03-2006, 03:26 PM
My 03 plate does it too although I think its just a characteristic of the passat engine being mounted longitudinal