PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf Plus TDI

Mini Mark
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi guys I need to get another car due to our GOlf 1.9 TDI MK5 being involved ina bump earlier this week it will be written off as the a piller is twisted and roof dent plus the wing and bonnet etc.

Anyway I've founda 55 plate Golf Plus TDI 1.9 SE it's done 44,000 miles according to the advert it looks clean and tidy not seen it in the metal but is there anything I need to look for?

zf44
07-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Being a 55 plate, watch out for the costly ESP problem (ESP switch and dash light stay on) which affects Golfs, Golf Plus, Jettas, Tourans, Passats up to 2006/56 models. Costs can be anything up to £1500 to sort out.

Other issues (which normal Golfs also suffer from),

- Rattles and squeaks, which you will have to live with.
- Handles differently and acceleration is slower compared to a Golf due to the weight.
- Fuel consumption will be more compared to a Golf due to the weight and size.
- The bonnet doesn't have the hydraulic lift compared to a Golf.
- If you opt for a Golf Plus SPORT or GT, the 16" Imola alloys are prone to corrosion.
- The rear wiper has a mind of it's own: switches itself on when you turn on the ignition.
- The ignition barrel sometimes seizes.
- The remote keys sometimes fail to work, mine was replaced three times during my three years I owned a Golf Plus.

Thankfully for me, all these problems were covered by warranty on my Golf Plus SPORT and putting these to one side ownership was enjoyable due to the immense space - it swallowed up everything including two dismantled bunk beds and a very large fish tank:D

Mini Mark
07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for your reply it looks like the car I was looking at has been sold :( but I have just found a rather nice 1.9 tdi Match local to me so going to see it tonight. I hope its as dissribed as it sounds like a decent motor and I realy need to get something sorted so we don't have to keep using the Mini's for work

ALF_A4
14-09-2010, 05:38 PM
- The rear wiper has a mind of it's own: switches itself on when you turn on the ignition.
:D

Interesting - aside from crazily noisy front wipers, the rear wiper on my wife's Plus has a bit of a life of it's own. It has never moved without being switched on, but when switched on it sometimes only completes a part sweep then parks randomly. Switching it on/off a few times sorts it.

We love the car overall though - our daughter has great space and a great view from the back and it swallows a lot more holiday crap than the Focus ever did... Plus it seems a lot better made inside.