PDA

View Full Version : Audi allroad electrical faults

tip-chronic
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi, Can anyone help?
I noticed a few days ago that all my indicators were on, not flashing but fixed on including the side indicators. I could not get them to switch off. Eventually I dis/reconnected the battery. No change. I eventually removed the fuse for the hazards circuit which did the trick. At the same time the central locking failed and the electric windows. They were stuck in the up position then the down position and everywhere in between! I can't lock the car with the standard regular key only the drivers door will lock (fuses are OK it seems) The indicators were then intermittent with erratic clicking when selected, this has now resolved intself somehow. The interior light glows and fades of its own accord also the computer shows doors to be open then closed whilst underway (no pattern though)

What's happened?!

Regards Simon

Crasher
02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Lift up the carpet on the passengers side floor in front of the front seat and it will be awash. The central convenience computer is under there and it will be full of water due to the plenum chamber drains under the battery and servo being blocked with debris. This is probably THE most covered subject on this forum on the Passat, A4 and A6.

tip-chronic
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
now you mention it, the floor had half an inch of water when we had the last lot of bad weather, I thought it had leaked it somewhere due to a window being open a bit but I thought it strange that this much could have got in so quick!
now how to deal with it! :o

tip-chronic
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
does anyone know how much will a new unit will cost me?:confused:

Crasher
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Take the battery out and clean the drain under the tray and get your hand under the servo and poke out the drain there as well, do not push out the rubber tubes they are there for a reason. A new convenience unit from Audi is roughly £250 plus it will need to be coded into the key fob remotes and the soft coding value set to match the car, both of which require a diagnostic computer. You must also dry out the sound insulation and the wiring or else it WILL corrode. If you remove the convenience unit from its waterproof (hah!) case and then take the circuit board out of the box, you may be able to bring it back to life if you carefully dry it out.

tip-chronic
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
you've been a great help, I might be able to salvage it yet, but it's been underwater for a week!