PDA

View Full Version : B7 v B8 Dilemma for New Member

Lynx
31-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi,
I want to buy a 2007/2008 A4 1.9-2.0TDI but I have read some bad reports on B7 140bhp model. Front suspension & anti roll bar problems, Cable gearchange, Gearbox issues, Electrical probs, DPF problems, ERG and oil cooler, oil pump failure (balancer shaft), sump strainer blockages leading to engine failure (costing up to £9k), Dual Mass Flywheel failure ? So I was going to opt for tried & trusted 1.9TDI as I do a lot of my owm service work, oil, filters etc. and I dont want problems as I normally keep my cars a min of 5yrs. I have come across the newer 2008 B8 120ps model in my price range. Can anyone tell me if this C Rail is a completely new engine from the 140bhp or does it have similar problems? What are the common/Major faults with the 120ps? I do some light trailer work Is there a problem with manuals or is it only Multitronic models when recoding chips for tow bar use?
Urgent assistance required for this dilemma!! :confused:

MarkBS
31-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi, I have changed from a 140Bhp 2.0TDi B7 A4 to a 120Bhp 2.0TDi B8 and to be honest it is fine for what I need.
Performance is about the same as the older B7 for day to day running and it is a quieter engine and slightly more economical than the B7. I have an S-Line model so the ride is slightly firmer. If you can get an S-Line spec as they are better than the SE.
The car tax is also lower and insurance is down from group 14 to 12 so cheaper to keep running.
Hope this helps
Mark

Lynx
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, are you aware of any reported problems with the 2.0L B8 to date?

Kojak
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, are you aware of any reported problems with the 2.0L B8 to date?

I think if you pick on any car and go to the appropriate forum you'll find problems of all natures, everyone posts the bad news.
Obviously the issues are generally real and that's a worry but what percentage of cars are represented by a reported failure is another matter.
If the problems were across the board I'd hope you get recalls.

Kojak

kodkod.84
01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
If I was in your position I would get the B8- the B7 is the older model now, however it is still a sweet looking machine especially in S-Line Avant guise (no bias here guys!) and you can pick them up pretty cheap now.

The 1.9TDI is not as common in the B7 as the 2.0TDI, however I had this engine in my first B7 and it is ultra-economical but don't expect any pace out of it unless you get it remapped.

Lynx
07-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Guy's,
Thanks for the help, I opted for the new technolgy, picked up my B8 120bhp today so far I'm impressed. Happy out :D

Lynx