PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearing noise?

Xizor
30-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi folk's,

My '04 A4 1.9TDI Sport Avant (56K) has developed a noise from the rear which sounds very much like a failing wheel bearing. However, when I checked them yesterday by jacking up the car, there was no noticeable play and the wheels rotated smoothly. I did notice that the rear tyres were wearing unevenly though and nearly worn out. The inside edges have that saw-tooth wear pattern.

Do you think that could be making the noise or could it still be a bearing?

Thanks for any help or info.

Cheers :)

Crasher
30-08-2010, 12:31 PM
The noise is from the tyres, two new (quality, not Chinese) rear tyres and then have the alignment checked.

Xizor
30-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks Crasher, here's an update:

Today I swapped the rear tyres to the front and, lo and behold, the noise went with them!
I've now put the spare where the worst worn rear was and things are much more peaceful. Still a bit of noise, but that must be from the other worn rear.

Thanks again Crasher, at least I don't have to mess around with the bearings. Just need to fork out for 2 new tyres. :(

So, the moral is. If you think you have worn wheel bearings, have a good look at your tyres first.

Cheers :)

BTW, according to my Audi workshop manual, the saw-tooth tyre wear is 'normal'. They suggest rotating the tyres to even it out.