PDA

View Full Version : 2010 S4 Towbar

sykes705
29-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi all

Has anyone fitted a towbar to a 2010 S4?

Does it affect the warranty?

I have read a few things about some cars not having the required preliminary wiring, which has caused a lot of trouble. I then read that all 2010 cars had the preliminary wiring fitted, is this true?

B8 TDI
30-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Some A4's and I'm guessing the S4 also needs an upgrade to the engine cooling system.

sykes705
30-08-2010, 06:01 PM
This is also what I am worried about.

I bought the car on Saturday, I told the salesman that I was wanting to tow a trailer.

I guess I will phone the service department tomorrow, if I do need the extra mods then I can see this ending in an argument.

baylissboy
30-08-2010, 06:21 PM
The only one you can fit that won't affect your warranty would be a genuine Audi one, if there's one available. It would be a complete kit that would include any additional cooling fans etc. But be prepared, it won't be cheap!!!!

mkc
31-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Im not lucky enough to own a S4 but there have been various conversations on here about tow bars regarding factory fitted ones and ones that were fitted after to other engine A4s. From memory (you should try searching the fourm) a new radiator, hoses and all sorts of cooling stuff was needed to even get Audi to fit an "official" one after delivery. Getting someone else to do one was a non starter. I saw several quotes that were all 4 figures including labour. However, these were earlier in the year on used cars so they were 2008/9 models. You might be lucky with a 2010

Do you have the car? Given you have spent the top end for a A4 I would see what they could do if you walked away from the deal. If you already have it it might be more difficult.

If you pulled away in a S4, would the tow bracket just snap and leave your caravan/boat on the drive......

sykes705
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
No I have not got it yet.

Phoned the service dept who said on a 2010 S4 there were no cooling issues, and it would be around £1000.00 for the bar fitted.

B8 TDI
01-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Thats not too bad then.

mikewGT
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
get a quote from these guys... www.chester-towbars.co.uk. my A4 tdi 143 s-line was fitted with an OEM tow-bar with full Audi oem electrics and TCU (towing control unit?) that is connected to the vehicles ECU. They fit towbars for the local audi dealership with the standard Westphalia kit. I had the detachable version fitted and its invisible when not in use. A 13 pin caravan electrics is standard, but they supply the adapter for 7pin trailer electrics foc. They were great guys to deal with and knew their stuff on vehicle coding etc. cost was £580 which is more then I'd like to have paid, but they did a good job. they are worth a call to ask the question about your S4.