PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tail pipes....

m3-fast
27-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Folks, newbie here who is awaiting delivery of a Pasat CC GT Tdi 140 in Island Grey.

My question is regarding the twin exhaust tailpipes, they look a little unfinished IMO and was wondering if anyone had added any trims to their pipes?

If so what is the external diameter of the exhaust pipes - just wondered so I could do some shopping around before the car actually arrives in October.

cheers

Paul

SC03OTT
27-08-2010, 11:14 PM
There is a thread in the mk6 Golf section about people doing this. The exhaust trim is from the Skoda Yetti i think. If someone else can confirm the size is the same, you're onto a winner.

m3-fast
29-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Is there any Passat GT owner here who would be willing to confirm the extrernal diameter of their exhaust pipes please?

Scooby-Doo
30-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Is there any Passat GT owner here who would be willing to confirm the extrernal diameter of their exhaust pipes please?

+ Me too please

Got a set on my TT, stainless steel, cost about £100,if they fit the CC then they won't be going with the TT.

SC03OTT
31-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Guys. FYI. Spotted this in the B6 section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-06-10-Passat-B6-2-0-TSI-TDI-CC-Appropriative-MUFFLER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140444771563QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

logiclee
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Guys. FYI. Spotted this in the B6 section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-06-10-Passat-B6-2-0-TSI-TDI-CC-Appropriative-MUFFLER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140444771563QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have these on my B6 Saloon but have modified them slightly. They should fit the CC fine though.

Here's a pic.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/logiclee/debadged1.jpg

Cheers
Lee

m3-fast
16-09-2010, 08:37 AM
They look great, and a cheap price too!

Thanks for that, will get a set ordered and post some pics up if they fit OK :approve:

Gregmeister
16-12-2010, 11:07 PM
They look great, and a cheap price too!

Thanks for that, will get a set ordered and post some pics up if they fit OK :approve:

M3-fast did you ende up buying any?

Scooby-Doo
28-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Thought I'd resurrect this as nobody actually measured the OD of the 170GT tailpipes.Seeing as there are a few new ones about would somebody like to get their knees dirty and have a measure ? please...pretty please......

vagnik
28-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Just had a look at mine, CC 170GT 6 months old
The tailpipes are oval
longest diameter 76 mm
shortest 66 mm

Give or take a mil, it's cold and dark out there

Scooby-Doo
29-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks for that,i'll go and see what my ex TT tailpipes are.:beerchug:

The tailpipes are oval:confused:

ahennessy1
12-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Anyone know of anyone else selling these the one person on eBay has disappeared I notice grr it's on it's way soon gutted

ednaroad
13-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyone know of anyone else selling these the one person on eBay has disappeared I notice grr it's on it's way soon gutted

I noticed that too. Bought them and they arrived ok but when I went to leave feedback they are no longer a registered user. I did have to split the weld to fit them though.

hartry
14-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I noticed that too. Bought them and they arrived ok but when I went to leave feedback they are no longer a registered user. I did have to split the weld to fit them though.

Mine don't fit either. Did you just split the 'silencer' end or did you have to split the tip end too? If yes how did you polish up the blemish? I don't have access to any power polishing tools.

Scooby-Doo
14-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Vagnic wrote:
The tailpipes are oval
longest diameter 76 mm
shortest 66 mm

I was surprised to see this as the chrome tailpipes look "round" and no way are they oval.Anybody confirm the dimensions of the standard tailpipe on the CC. 170GT preferably.

ednaroad
14-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Mine don't fit either. Did you just split the 'silencer' end or did you have to split the tip end too? If yes how did you polish up the blemish? I don't have access to any power polishing tools.

I split both welds and didnt bother cleaning it up, i just aligned both broken weld to the inside so you cant see them anyway. I'm lazy like that!

hartry
14-02-2011, 10:28 PM
ok thanks will try when i'm back from cornwall. i'll probably do a poor job of it but i'll try... unless anyone with mechanical skills wants to swap for a recoding of their motor? ;)

vagnik
14-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Here is what my tailpipes look like (TD 170GT)
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc136/slotnik/IMG_3198a.jpg
Note the "oval"

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc136/slotnik/IMG_3197a.jpg

Haven't had it from new. Was 6 months old with 4,5k on it.
Was a VW demonstrator so I doubt it has been fiddled with.

Scooby-Doo
15-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I see what you mean now,the pipe has a slash cut on it.I have to assume that the actual pipe is 66mm dia so my TT ones won't fit as they are 74 mm dia.Better start looking for a new set then. (bollo**s)

hartry
17-02-2011, 06:20 PM
OK so I split the silencer end of the weld with a hacksaw then yanked the two pipes apart to split the tip end. Put them on the car but wasn't happy so took them off again, hacked off the weld remains on both tip ends with the hacksaw then polished with a file, sandpaper, a nail file and finally a nail buffer (she won't mind :rolleyes:).
It looks OK in terms of cleaning up the broken welds but I'm not so sure if I'll keep them on - if I affix the aftermarket trim to the fat (tip) part of the VW pipe visible in the picture above, the trim protrudes to the extent that you can see where the shiny silver ends, but if I shove the trim onto the VW pipes as far as it goes, so that where the trim ends under the car is not so obvious, the nut grips on the narrower piece of the VW pipe, and as it's tightened forces the tip of the aftermarket pipe upwards and the slash cut on the VW pipe within is clearly visible :boggled:
Might do some pictures later or tomorrow if I get a chance.

ahennessy1
27-02-2011, 06:32 PM
For those of you who noticed the seller of these go off eBay there is now another person selling these in china for £20 , have bought them today so will keep you update when they arrive. Anyone had any issues with these on 2011 model ?

Aldoaccie
14-03-2011, 05:51 PM
ahennessy1 - can you attach the link? I can't find them on ebay anywhere (probably looking in the wrong place!)
Cheers

ahennessy1
15-03-2011, 11:11 PM
this is who i bought them off in china, arrived within 7 days although i dont get the car till 11th april so cant try them yet but they look decent quality for a cheap price , so fingers crossed
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vwoempart2/

Aldoaccie
17-03-2011, 01:21 PM
For those who are still looking for exhaust trims:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-06-10-Passat-B6-2-0-TSI-TDI-CC-Appropriative-MUFFLER-/320672104937?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa98c01e9

Not sure about the 30 day delivery period though, but at 20 quid you can't complain! Thanks to ahennessy1 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=153960) with the nod for the chap in HK selling them.

ahennessy1
17-03-2011, 08:24 PM
It says 30 days just in case they get stuck in customs, mine were at the post office sorting office within 6 days from china, have to admit I was astounded at that. Has anyone fitted these to a 2011 model yet ?

Scooby-Doo
20-03-2011, 11:14 AM
?????? The std Passat on Page 1 shows a pair of round tailpies and so does the advert.When I asked for dimensions on this forum it puzled me to be told that they were Oval. Now that I've had my car I find that they are actually Oval.Are these E-bay ones OVAL ?????????????

FastEddieVW
20-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I got a tail pipe trim from eBay, looks great but I haven't put it on the car yet as I don't pick it up until Tuesday! The trim has a simple allen grub screw locking mechanism, and the tips are angled t follow the curve of the bumper if you follow. They were £20!

hartry
20-03-2011, 12:43 PM
The ones on ebay if they are still the same as when I bought them, are not oval but they still fit the 2011 CC with modification as per my post earlier. I am still in two minds as to whether to leave them on because of the concerns I raised earlier. There's a pic of the rear of my car in the new arrivals thread.

Scooby-Doo
22-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Phoned my dealer yesterday and they now have the VW oval tailpipes in stock,probably pick it up end of the week.A bit pricey but the CC needs that extra bit of chrome.

Gregmeister
22-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Phoned my dealer yesterday and they now have the VW oval tailpipes in stock,probably pick it up end of the week.A bit pricey but the CC needs that extra bit of chrome.

Scooby, some pics would be great when you get them!!

Scooby-Doo
22-03-2011, 02:17 PM
There's a pic of the rear of my car in the new arrivals thread.
Hartry, I missed that post originally and then remembered you're one of the few like me who went for Daytona alloys.Nothing against Inerlagos but the Daytonas are a real dawdle to clean and you can get at the inside of the rim to give them a good clean.

Scooby-Doo
24-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Picked up my chrome tailpipes from VW today,and promptly put them down again.They were "round" and when we tried to put them on they were so tight they wouln't go over the ovals.Also the two grub screws were set so far back they missed the wide part of the tailpipe.:(:(The parts guy will get in touch with VW as they were clearly listed for the Passat CC.:aargh4::aargh4:

Gregmeister
24-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Picked up my chrome tailpipes from VW today,and promptly put them down again.They were "round" and when we tried to put them on they were so tight they wouln't go over the ovals.Also the two grub screws were set so far back they missed the wide part of the tailpipe.:(:(The parts guy will get in touch with VW as they were clearly listed for the Passat CC.:aargh4::aargh4:

Well, that's not good is it really. But I cant say I'm surprised. VW seem incapable of getting their literature correct regarding what is/isnt an accessory for the CC. The brochure they released in feb listed the RNS310 as an optional extra when a) it was standard fitment across the entire CC range and b) it havd been replaced by the RNS315 since some time in 2010.

I think the cheapo chinese version from ebay may be in order!!

hartry
25-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Well, that sounds exactly the same as what I faced with the ebay pipes!

Drifty
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, that sounds exactly the same as what I faced with the ebay pipes!

I emailed our Far Eastern ebayer today to see is they had any oval pipe trims yet... alas the answer is still no :(

The search goes on....

logiclee
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't know if some of you are trying to be too exact. The round ones I have on my saloon on page one were a very tight fit on the oval pipes, had to squeeze them a bit and tap them on with a bit of wood.

Obviously the allen stud at the back needs to be long enough to reach the pipe as the bottom of the round tail pipe is not flush with the oval exhaust.

Cheers
Lee

Scooby-Doo
21-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Final reply from VW ref the chrome tailpipes.......VW cannot supply a suitable chrome exhaust cover for the Passat CC. End of that story then. :aargh4:

leowfc
22-04-2011, 06:14 PM
A few images of the ones I bought of ebay 6 months ago. I did give them a quick clean before takign the shots. It took less than 5 mins to install however you do need to give them a wack with lump of wood to get them on.

stephenl
22-04-2011, 09:18 PM
scooby
i collected my cc from dealer yesterday with VW supplied and fitted chrome tips. a bit dark now but took quick photo. not sure about screw which u can see on photo, dealer said we could set tips at different lengths- which might do and see if they can be set with screw at bottom instead of side. if u want closer photos will do tomoro in better light.

leowfc
24-04-2011, 12:46 AM
scooby
i collected my cc from dealer yesterday with VW supplied and fitted chrome tips. a bit dark now but took quick photo. not sure about screw which u can see on photo, dealer said we could set tips at different lengths- which might do and see if they can be set with screw at bottom instead of side. if u want closer photos will do tomoro in better light.

They look exactly the same as the ones I got off e-bay.

FastEddieVW
24-04-2011, 02:45 PM
They obviously don't fit! I'd ask for your money back! They're not even the right shape!

leowfc
24-04-2011, 08:28 PM
They obviously don't fit! I'd ask for your money back! They're not even the right shape!

They do fit however they are not oval. At the moment you have two options Oval non chrome or Round Chrome. Personally I think the round Chrome look much better.

Regards

Leo

stephenl
24-04-2011, 10:18 PM
they do fit. i was unable to get the ebay ones. vw supplied and fitted for £95. for some this probably seems a huge cost but i have had a free courtesy car since beginning of jan11 and dealer had a cheque for me when i finally collected car. have not seen one cc with chrome exhausts locally. honestly the car should have come with these as standard anyway.