PDA

View Full Version : S6 Hazards stuck on!

MattS6
13-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Hi, Last night when i returned to my 2002 Audi S6 Avant, got in, started it up and suddenly the hazard lights came on and did not turn off.

They are not blinking just staying constantly on, front side and back. Pressed the hazard buttong and indicators but nothing has happened, they are stll on. Powered off, locked up and it is still sitting on my drive with the hazards on. Never had this problem, have only had it a few months but it had a full service history when i got it and only 30,000 on the clock with no problems in it's past.

Any ideas as to what has gone wrong and what to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Niall76
13-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Yep, it's broken.

Just hand it to me, thanks

MattS6
13-06-2007, 08:33 PM
thanks for your help.....

gazza57
14-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Most probably, the fault you describe is a faulty relay, more accurately the relay which controls the hazard warning lights.
There is a timer device built in to it so when 12v is applied to it by you operating the switch on the dash, the relay will cycle on and off at a predetermined flash rate.
Locate the relay, then disconnect the battery which will ensure you aren't drawing any current as you pull the relay from it's base.
Once removed, reconnect the battery and if the hazard lights are no longer illuminated, the fault is isolated and you know it's the relay.
I don't know where you can get the relay tested, it may be a bit pricey to replace, some are.
One word of warning, don't leave the hazard lights permanently illuminated in a fault condition such as the one you described for too long.
The flasher lamps are 21 Watts each (unless you have LEDS) and as such probably only have a 10% duty rating , ie they are only rated to be on less than 10% of the time and obviously they're flashing.
This means that leaving them on ie fully illuminated for long periods of time can cause the lenses and light clusters to get very hot.
Had this happen on a SAAB 9000 when the car alarm relay which flashes the indicators on arming/disarming froze.
Had melted lampholders and heat damaged light clusters, on for about 30 minutes continuous.
Gazza57