PDA

View Full Version : Bluemotion power decline

eddthedoc
27-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi all, this is my first post, sorry it's a problem.

I own a 2009 59 Golf bluemotion 1.6SE which I have owned from new.

Recently with 3-4 people up it has become very unresponsive, requiring riding of the clutch to get things 'spinning' to make a safe getaway. I'm not talking about silly performance, I'm talking about difficulty safely entering flows of traffic when there were no such issues in the first 6 months of ownership.

When driving alone there are few problems but it does have a notable flat spot in second that means a rolling entry to a roundabout in second does not result in reliable pulling away.

It has also been stalling quite a bit - again not a problem before.

I appreciate it's not a performance vehicle but it did have a nice modest turbo kick but that is now gone. Fuel consumption has also increased by about 10-15%

My dealer can't find anything wrong even though it did stall on a test drive with a technical guy and me in the car and he admitted it was not good in second.

Any ideas? Should I change fuel, or have other bluemotion owners had similar problems.

Hex69
27-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi all, this is my first post, sorry it's a problem.

I own a 2009 59 Golf bluemotion 1.6SE which I have owned from new.

Recently with 3-4 people up it has become very unresponsive, requiring riding of the clutch to get things 'spinning' to make a safe getaway. I'm not talking about silly performance, I'm talking about difficulty safely entering flows of traffic when there were no such issues in the first 6 months of ownership.

When driving alone there are few problems but it does have a notable flat spot in second that means a rolling entry to a roundabout in second does not result in reliable pulling away.

It has also been stalling quite a bit - again not a problem before.

I appreciate it's not a performance vehicle but it did have a nice modest turbo kick but that is now gone. Fuel consumption has also increased by about 10-15%

My dealer can't find anything wrong even though it did stall on a test drive with a technical guy and me in the car and he admitted it was not good in second.

Any ideas? Should I change fuel, or have other bluemotion owners had similar problems.

Couple of questions.

Do you 'granny' the car, and not give it some beans on a regular basis? Diesels like to have a good Italian Tune-Up to clear out the crud from time to time.

It won't hurt to use branded fuel like Shell rather than supermarket diesel.

It that doesn't help, I'd get a fault code read to see if there's an issue.

HTH :D

stuart
27-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I believe that the Bluemotion vehicles have a diesel particulate filter fitted, these do block if the car is not given a "good run" now and again, although if it was this you should get a warning lamp show...

I agree with the above, try some quality fuel, such as BP Ultimate, or Shell V Power... The handbook should give you advice how to drive to clear the diesel particulate filter... if fitted..

eddthedoc
27-08-2010, 11:33 AM
No Granny here mate :D but equally realistic about the capabilities of an eco car.

Will do the Italian tune up and will also try some of the 'performance' diesels but I am not hopeful as a recent review i read somwhere I forget said that the better petrols such as V-power do make a difference compared to supermaket super unleaded but there was little difference with the diesels. Not sure how true that is. Nevertheless as I have a problem I'll give it a go.

Just got back from the garage - no fault codes seen.

How do you recommend i do the 'tune up'?

Cheers for advice.

Still interested if other bluemotion owners are happy 1 year on.

Hex69
27-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Re: the Italian Tune Up, one way I've seen mentioned is to drive it like you stole it. :D

However I'd take it on the motorway, give it a good run through the gears to or near to the red line on joining, the drive for at least 10 miles with the engine turning over at least 2000 rpm.

See here - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters

eddthedoc
08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Update......

Drove over 300 miles yesterday and good mix of acceleration with long periods over 2000 rpm.

I've got my new car back!!! it's totally transformed. So I'm guessing it was the DPF

Should I contact VAG to let them know or just let it drop?

Thanks for your help

VAGMAN54
08-09-2010, 01:04 PM
dont know why your dealer never checked the soot content of your dpf that what have given a clue straight away