PDA

View Full Version : Problem with multitronic gearbox rolling back on hills

goodnick
26-08-2010, 08:01 AM
We have an A5 S-line automatic with a multitronic gearbox and it keeps rolling back when stopped on a hill or a slope.

The dealer claims this is "normal" and that we should use the electronic hand brake.

Surely this is not right? We have had several automatics before and have not had this issue before.

Does anyone else have this issue?

grobvw
26-08-2010, 03:01 PM
It is normal as the dealer said your previous boxes will probabaly been of the torque convertor type in which the drive is never completely disconnected causing the car to creep forward on the flat but easily counteracted with light pressure on the footbrake. However this tendency works to the driver's advatange on a slight slope since this slight slipping drive is enough to stop the car rolling back. The multitronic box works on a completelydifferent principle having no slipping torque converter but a sort of automated convential clutch such that drive is engaged or not. When the car comes to a halt the drive is disconnected automatically [ the equivalent of pushing in the clutch ] so the car rolls back unless held on the handbrake. It's one of several reasons I don't like the Multitronic or S tronic boxes. They are good " on the move" but stopping and starting isn't their strong point! They are however much more efficient [ no T/C losses] so give better fuel consumption figures. It would appear Audi are phasing out torque converter boxes in most models for that reason.

goodnick
26-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks for this - very helpful. I guess we will just have to get used to it!

mactrack
26-08-2010, 06:54 PM
We have a Multitronic A4 Avant and an S Tronic A5 and one of the best ways to combat this is to order the very cheap Hill Hold Assist option.

a8 tech
26-08-2010, 08:27 PM
just engage the park brake and this will auto release when you apply throttle as long as you have the seat belt on

pitch3110
17-09-2010, 10:35 PM
We have a Multitronic A4 Avant and an S Tronic A5 and one of the best ways to combat this is to order the very cheap Hill Hold Assist option.

Agreed.
I would struggle without it. As soon as I hit trafficits on.

The multi box does take some learning, but once you know it, it's great fun, espes with the 8 ratios and paddles.

Pitch