PDA

View Full Version : Gear change stiff when cold

yetifur
25-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've recently taken ownership of a B6 1.8T which replaced my troublesome Alfa 156. I'm starting to discover a few of the Audi's 'features' one of which is a issue with gear selection when the engine is cold. On a couple of occasions I have noticed that the it's hard / not possible to select gears when the car is first started. After a short while the issue goes away and I'm able to get in gear. From that point forward I have no issues and the gear shift is silky smooth.

First thoughts are clutch on the way out or gear linkage issues. Could anyone please tell me if this is a common trait or if this spells trouble and is something that I need to get sorted.

Thanks in advance for any help!

phil miller
25-08-2010, 09:48 PM
hi mate welcome to the site, ive had this on an older A4 and it was cured by a gearbox oil change, id try that first bud

yetifur
25-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Phil. I'll give that a go and report back.

SWARCUP
26-08-2010, 01:31 PM
mines the same, and a lot of others too, an oil change will help. Can anyone recomend the correct oil to go for?

yetifur
12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I have changed the oil in the gearbox and unfortunately the issue still persists.

It's quite bizarre - when the engine is off it is possible to select all gears easily. Once the engine has started, and while the car is stationary, it is not possible to select any gear until the car has run for 30 seconds plus. I have tried leaving the car in neutral and revving it to try and get some oil around the box but it doesn't seem to help.

If the car is started with the clutch in and in 1st gear it is possible to drive off without any issues. There are no gear selection issues once the car is moving. So, to summarise, the issue seems to occur when the car is cold and stationary.

It's almost like the clutch is no disengaging properly until the car has warmed up a little bit. Could this be that clutch release bearing on it's way out? I am at a loss...

Any ideas gratefully received!

Alan02
12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
It seems like a Clutch issue. The Clutch Plate may not be clearing the Flywheel when the clutch is disengaged, possibly as it may be sticking on the Input Shaft. This would cause the gears to be tight to select as drive is still being transmitted thru box.

yetifur
12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Alan. So you think when a little heat is transmitted into the flywheel/input shaft OR when the car has moved off, it is enough to free off the friction plate allowing it to move on the input shaft? And when it cools down, the friction plate is sticking again..?

yetifur
12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
This sounds familiar, doesn't say if the issue cleared when the car was moving though:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6740

Alan02
12-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Alan. So you think when a little heat is transmitted into the flywheel/input shaft OR when the car has moved off, it is enough to free off the friction plate allowing it to move on the input shaft? And when it cools down, the friction plate is sticking again..?

Basically, Yes its possible. Do you know of any history with the clutch?

Alan02
12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Just read that link, you may feel a `Pulsing` from the pedal if Thrust Bearing collapsed.

yetifur
12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
There's no 'pulsing' that I've noticed but I'll pay more attention on my drive to work tomorrow.

I only bought the car about 6 weeks ago but had to take the sump off a few weeks ago to replace the oil strainer (oil pressure issue). While we were down there we noticed that an aftermarket LUK clutch had been fitted at some point. No idea if the release bearing was replaced at the same time but would have thought/hoped that this was standard practice. The car has done 97K so I'm guessing that it's on its second clutch...

fla
15-10-2010, 08:11 PM
i am experiencing the same issue with mine, but mainly difficulty in selecting reverse.
Is there any special gearbox lube recommended? How much is required - perhaps 2 litres or so?I too have a 1.8T B6.

thanks

Marco34
18-10-2010, 04:18 PM
From what I can gather it's just the way the box is. It happens with the TT. I wouldn't go looking for faults with the clutch etc. Mine has done this for the best part of 4 years now. Oil is fine. I'm thinking of changing to Redline oil as recommended by Crasher.

5up3rman
18-10-2010, 04:41 PM
i have spoken to audi and another garage and they advose not needing to change the oil as it's sealed and for life.
Mine is a manual but have heard many members on here recomend having it done.
I don't really have the ability or the equipment to be able to do this myself so pretty much out of options.

yaman
18-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Or hows about bleeding the clutch slave cylinder??

Regards
Jim

fla
18-10-2010, 07:14 PM
i have spoken to audi and another garage and they advose not needing to change the oil as it's sealed and for life.
Mine is a manual but have heard many members on here recomend having it done.
I don't really have the ability or the equipment to be able to do this myself so pretty much out of options.

it shouldnt be too hard - you just need to locate the drain and fill screws. Usually the drain plug will be on the side and the fill of course at the top. Its just like draining engine oil, warm it a little so it flows easily, then close the drain screw and fill from the top. You'll likely need a hose to go on to your funnel. I might just add some slip additive for the time being and see if that improves things. Just need to locate the two screws now...

fla
22-10-2010, 05:19 PM
can somoen post a pic of where fill and drain screws are? I just cant see them - perhaps certain things need to be removed? tbh, i cant even see where the gear selector cables are :o