PDA

View Full Version : brake failure

ntl680
24-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I have 2004 Octavia 1.9 tdi, it has had new brakes all round this year including cylinders (not master), however 3 times and several weeks apart without warning the brakes have failed. When i have gone to apply the pedal it has gone straight to the floor and only work if i pump it 2 or 3 times, i have been to two different mechanics and neither can find a fault! It has not lost any fluid and generally the brakes seem to work fine. On 2 of the occasions when they failed it felt also as if when i had stopped the hand brake had stuck on. and did not release until the car had been left for about 20 mins. Each time it has happened the journey has been less than thirty miles.

Any advise will be a great help.

greg123
25-10-2010, 11:10 PM
what 'cylinders' were replaced (do you mean calipers?) and how was the system bled, the latter is particularly important.

Crasher
26-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Is this a Mk1 or Mk2 Octavia? Can you find out which “cylinders” have been replaced?

ntl680
30-10-2010, 11:09 AM
what 'cylinders' were replaced (do you mean calipers?) and how was the system bled, the latter is particularly important.

Hello Greg,

All i was told was that the front and rear shoes and pads had been replaced as well as the brake cylinders, i am not that mechanical minded so assumed what i was told was correct. I was also told the brakes were bled but not told how this was done. I keep s close eye on the fluid levels and they seem ok. It can go a month or more before it happens even to a point that i forget that it has happened before. It is frustrating though as i would like to sell the car but i cant do that until this gets sorted!

ntl680
30-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Is this a Mk1 or Mk2 Octavia? Can you find out which “cylinders” have been replaced?

Hello Crasher,

Not sure whether it is a mk 1 or mk 11 it is the last of the classics on a 54 plate. I am waiting to hear which cylinders were replaced.