PDA

View Full Version : Air Con coming on when heater on??

Fishdockroad
24-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

new Mk 6 Golf 1.4 TSi which so far apart from a couple of niggles has been great. However coming home from work this morning and I noticed something unusual with the heating/cooling system. It was a cold morning so had the heater on full and set for internal heating. As I drove the front screen started to mist up so I switched the heater select switch to full windscreen as I did I noticed the air con light came on???? I switched it back to internal and it went off again, back to screen only and back on!! I then switched it to screen and footwell and it went off again???

I had a look in the handbook but cant find anywhere that its supposed to do this. Mine doesnt have climate control but hints!!! that those cars with climatronic, I think they call it, have some sort of feature where it will automatically switch from internal air circulation to drawing in air from outside to combat de misting is mine a similiar feature???

Have read elsewhere on this forum of people switching a/c on when haeter is on full to assist de misting so maybe it should be doing it??

Can contact VW garage but as they didnt even know that my TSi is designed to over rev at start up to warm cat convertor I'm not 100% confident they'll give me the correct answer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Keithuk
24-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Fishdockroad.

Hi all,
It was a cold morning so had the heater on full and set for internal heating. As I drove the front screen started to mist up so I switched the heater select switch to full windscreen as I did I noticed the air con light came on????
Yes mine is the same. I'm not sure which aircon you have in yours because a 1.4 TSI doesn't tell me much. Is it an S, SE, GT or something else?
Oh I've just done a search through the brochure and it appears its semi-automatic air conditioning system.

I have the 2Zone electronic climate control with automatic air circulation. It is a pain in the backside when you put the vent on the screen only and the aircon comes on, you can of course press the AC button to knock it of. If I want aircon which isn't that much in this country I press the button, what could be simpler?

This is only a suggestion but it would be nice if you put your car spec in your signature (most users do on here) then we know which model you are talking about, it saves keep writing it in the thread. ;)

Fishdockroad
24-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks KeithUk,

its the SE version. I'll add it to my signature when I can work out how you do it :Blush:.

Obviously designed to do it then, glad I asked before I went back to the garage.

thanks again.

Berisford
24-08-2010, 05:25 PM
It's a VW thing, my 2004 T5 does it too, that is I assume you set the controls for 'recirculate' and 'interior', but when you switched to 'screen' with the 'recirculate' still on it switched on the air-con, yes?

Keithuk
24-08-2010, 05:49 PM
You just click on USER CP on the bar at the top of the screen then just click on Edit Signature and write your info. You can also add an avatar if you want to under Edit Avatar or choose one of the VW pics.

I forgot to mension another strange quirk is if you turn the temperature control to cold without touching any other knobs or switches that puts the aircon on as well. Again I don't want to aircon on I just want cold air coming in the car.

I'm going to have to get one of these VAG-COM's and set my own system up. ;)