PDA

View Full Version : Parking Sensors

bora23
24-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Hello,
I have recently had two cases whereby i have reversed into parking spaces and hit things (1 x police car and 1x smart car) so i have decided to obtain parking sensors.

Skoda would like to relieve me of £300 to fit a set so i have trundled through the web and found a set in my colour (corrida red) and ordered them. Anyway they have turned up today and i am a little reluctant to drill the bumper. Has anyone fitted their own? Any tips? also how can i remove the rear bumper?

Thanks

r6ymy
22-11-2010, 10:38 PM
There's a good guide to bumper removal here:
http://www.octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/towbar-install

On MkII and Facelift Octavias the sensor mounting positions are marked on the back of the bumper, theres a fine moulded circle with cross hairs marking the centre for each of the four sensor positions. The kit I fitted came with the correct size hole cutter, drilling the holes wasn't hard, it's best to start from the inside of the bumper to get the drill centred properly, then once the centre bit has passed through stop and then swap to the outside of the bumper to finish drilling the hole with the cutter, avoids a burr around the edge of the hole.

There's a couple of gromits at the back of the spare wheel well that you can cut a small X in with a sharp knife then pass the sensor wires through, I used a little silicone to seal around the wires. I mounted the control box high up on the left rear wing, and the buzzeron the front of the rear wheel arch near the seat belt mount. If you take the rear light unit out it's easy to trace the wires from the revering light bulb, and splice into the live feed to the bulb and an earth wire. I trimmed a little insulation off the wires about a foot back from the light unit, wrapped and soldered the feed wires to the control unit, then covered with insulation tape.