PDA

View Full Version : Question Windows

belfastmark
23-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Right, come on everyone, tell me what the secret is to getting perfect windows. I have tried a number of window cleaning products and none of them seem to be up to the mark, greasyness,streaks etc.
What do you guys use ???

Hex69
23-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Right, come on everyone, tell me what the secret is to getting perfect windows. I have tried a number of window cleaning products and none of them seem to be up to the mark, greasyness,streaks etc.
What do you guys use ???

Vinegar, newspaper, and plenty of elbow grease...:D

Eshrules
23-08-2010, 03:36 PM
a reliable method ^ but for ease of use, I use this (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_1 65682_productId_169057_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Car+Cleaning+%26+Pressure+Washers%2FCar+Exterior+C leaning-_-Na-_-Meguiars+NXT+Generation+Glass+Cleaner&source=shopping&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=lipmtt&istBid=t)

I've used AG fastglass and various other detailer recommended products, but tbh, they're all much of a muchness. I got narked with the grease fastglass seemed to line my screen with.

zollaf
24-08-2010, 09:14 PM
autoglym glass polish. i find it really good. the first time i used it, i thought someone had nicked my windows, its that good.:D

B8 TDI
25-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Lol

belfastmark
31-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I found the reason why my windows are never perfect. One week i would use autoglym fast glass, couple of weeks later, autoglym car glass polish, couple of weeks later rainex. With all that already on the windows, anything i used would leave the windows streaky and greasy.
Spoke to a professional detailer who recomenneded a bucket of hot water, a shammy and some paper towel.
Done her today and the results were fantastic. Have to keep doing this until all the previous stuff has been removed. will only use screen cleaner when the windows are really bogin.

belfastmark
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Update.
I found a great way of cleaning windows. If you have used rainex, glass polish etc and are tired of windows having streaks, greasyness etc everytime you go to clean them, this is what you should do.
Get a pump action botttle and fill half of it with concentrate screen cleaner ( the type you put into your resoviour bottle for the windscreen washers ), then top it up with water.
Rinse the car with water and then apply the solution to all the windows, let it sit for a minute then wash the car as normal.
When drying the car, use the bucket of warm water and shammy method finishing of with the paper towel and see the results !!!!
Any comments ????

Eshrules
07-10-2010, 08:17 PM
yeah - don't use a shammy.

MF drying towels, FTW - no streaks, no greasyness, no residue.

I always wash the car, then use glass cleaner afterwards.

JimWD
07-10-2010, 09:00 PM
3M Glass Cleaner! :o

It's my 'go-to' glass product now.

Axios
08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Clean the car as normal, AutoGlym Car glass cleaner for the mirrors and inside class. Autoglym car polish for the exteriers of the glass.
Gives a nice shine on the out side of the windows and i'm still able to see through them. :)

drexel75
14-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Used Autoglym Glass Polish on mine at the weekend. Looks superb and because it clouds it's really easy to see any bits that you've missed

billyw
14-10-2010, 06:26 PM
wash the whole car as usual , rinse off with water and wipe the glass with a scrim (cotton cloth for glass) perfect :biglaugh:

belfastmark
21-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Eshrules.
Tried the microfibre cloth method, spot on mate.

shadfx
04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Best thing for me is Autoglym glass polish (not the fastglass!) used on the inside and out once every 2 months. To top up / brighten the shine, use Autoglym instant show shine - Do not use this on your windscreen though!!!

Finish should be brilliant :)

belfastmark
09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi
I have found a very easy to use, non greasy window cleaning product.
Cartek Glass Cleaner. Wet microfibre cloth, spray some of the product onto it and wipe. Dry off with a microfibre or towel, any missed bits simply evaporate.
Thumbs up from me !!!!

belfastmark
12-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi.
A long time since I started this debate, I have a soloution.
What I do now is clean all the glass inside and out using glass cleaner.
Then use a detailing spray, smart detail at the minute.
Apply to all glass, inside and out except for the outside of the windscreen.
Apply the detailing spray with a microfibre and polish of with another clean microfibre.
For me, the results are great.
Going to try chemical guys glassworks this week.
Will update once I have tried it.

cloughy
13-02-2012, 09:53 PM
supermarket glass cleaner on the inside works for me, rain repellent on the outside

I also use fog fight on the inside to prevent condensation

Eshrules
14-02-2012, 09:06 AM
supermarket glass cleaner on the inside works for me, rain repellent on the outside

I also use fog fight on the inside to prevent condensation

I've tried a few products on the outside of my screen, fighting road grease/unburnt diesel is the one most struggle with. The only product I've found that comes close to doing what I want is carlack's glass sealant kit. I have to renew it every 12>14 days, but it's well worth it.

belfastmark
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi
Got my Chemical guy's smear free glass cleaner yesterday.
Applied it with a quality microfibre cloth and buffed with another.
I finally have the results I have been looking for.
The glass cleaner is very forgiving in that if you miss a bit, it evaporates, smear free.
Not sure though if it is the fact that I used a quality cloth or if it is the glass cleaner itself.
Would reccomend to anyone.