PDA

View Full Version : racing clio 182

glynnd
16-03-2006, 05:14 PM
How many others have the problem of the wastegate sticking on tdi 1.9 engines? Mine does it every now and again, recently last week when I had a race with a clio 182 and he could not pull away from me.It was good fun watching the face of the clio driver at my side and listening to him revving the balls off his engine. I reckon when its over boosting my car must have at least another 25bhp! I reckon it should get a re map and make it permanent:aargh4:

Mike_S
27-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Are you saying your car that weighs in at over of 1.5tonnes with about 110bhp, was keeping up with a car that has around 180bhp and weighs a little over a tonne.

If you did, then i would have to say the car wasn't a 182. As i have a 172 original and a 2.0tdi passat 05, there is no comparison on acceleration.

The cars stats:

New 1.9 TDi VW Passat :
0-60 mph (secs) = 12.1
Max speed (mph) = 117
Kerb weight (kg) = 1,616

Reanult Clio 182 :
0-60 mph (secs) = 7.1
Max speed (mph) = 139
Kerb weight (kg) = 1,080

Sorry dude, i think you got fooled by a 182 wannabe.

glynnd
27-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Dont think so mate. My car is a 2003 130 tdi. If my car is running ok with another 25 bhp would make it 155bhp. with another 30lb ft of torque that would make it 240lb ft. Easily enough to race a 182, definitely a 182 as the next most powerful clio is a 1.6 and my car could see one of those off even without overboost from the turbo. For the record the passat kerb weight is 1375 not 1500 plus and I am only 75 kg. Ps two days ago I had a pop at a leon 20vt packing 180bhp, he only just beat me to 50 and my car is not over boosting now.
Also if this is not enough my bro's golf gttdi 115 bhp with a 30 bhp superchips conversion eats fabia vrs for breakfast
golf weight slightly less than fabia at 1315 kg
Are you getting the picture.Get your tdi chipped it makes traffic light burns fab:biglaugh:

glynnd
27-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Forgot to mentio this part also. I know a guy who has had a revoteknik conversion on his fabia vrs, a remap to 180 bhp.We have timed his car from rest to 65 on the clock with a hand held stopwatch at the same time you reckon your 172 does it!

Mike_S
27-03-2006, 11:11 PM
'definitely a 182 as the next most powerful clio is a 1.6'

There's a big difference between the two, in terms of performance. I have had my clio at santa pod and it ran a 14.7, 0-60 in just under 6.5 secs.

I have a friend who had a vrs skoda and yeah they are rapid, i have to say though it didn't push me until 130mph.

I cannot see how a car that weighs more and has less power can beat a lighter car with more bhp in acceleration from stand still, despite the torque figures. If you did, thats great but tbh it doesn't add up and the only way to settle it would to be a drag at pod or similar.

You up for it?;)

glynnd
28-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes definitely, but my point is with another 25bhp from my car it is quick. Also bear this in mind, the leon cupra tdi with 160 bhp has a quoted 0 to 60 time of 7.6 seconds (weighing close to 1400kg). When autocar ran their fabia vrs long term, when they figured it at milbrook at the end of their term with 20k on it they regularly timed it at 8.2 to 60 with a paltry 130bhp.In one instance they clocked 7.2 to 60! and all this was printed in their magazine. I know you are not happy that a large saloon with a diesel engine is quick particularly when your passat has not done much mileage it may still be tight, my car has now done 93k and is going strong. So I would say dont dismiss what some owners find also when somebody like va aaken developments was regularly finding stock 130 tdi golfs producing 140 bhp
Cheers.

glynnd
28-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Mike I forgot to ask this
If your clio is over half a second quicker to 60 than quoted figures, then why cant my car be more than a second faster than quoted figures given its turbo charged? Please also consider that a car's performance depends on the engines abillity to rev, I once owned an orion ghia si with 130 bhp as standard. It was not fast by any means it ran fine but I was constantly beat by polo 1.4 16v cars(100bhp) the zetec engine in ford cars does not build its rev quickly!

Mike_S
28-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I dont dis-believe you but the whole power to weight ration comes into play.

My car is half a second quicker than the stats because it was stripped of its rear seats and its got a viper induction kit and an after market exhaust it was running about 170bhp on the day. Thats 15bhp more than what you say yours is running and over a 1/3 of a tonne lighter.

In regards to your car being a second faster well, i must admit that i have noticed that you can (with renaults) get freakily rapid standard engines, i am therefore assuming that it goes for vw's aswell and you have one, which is always nice.

One thing i will say is that my 2.0tdi passat feels quick especially when the turbo kicks in, but the lag sucks the fat one.

It would still be cool to go head to head, just for a laugh.

What did you do to yours again to get an extra 25bhp, as i'd like to try and get the same results with my passat.

Cheers for the info though.

glynnd
28-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Didnt do anything to it Mike. It seems to be a common vw tdi fault that later in life the wastegate sticks due to carbon build up. It can stick at any point so its possible to stick open and you get poor performance just like it can stick shut and give fantastic performance.It would be intersting to know what power you get when this happens.
Ps I drive 30k per annum so I need a diesel however I am gonna get a toy to replace my 91j fiesta rs turbo chipped to 165 which I had to let go last summer and I am considering a 182 !
regards Glynn

Mike_S
28-03-2006, 08:43 PM
LOL

Its scarey, as i do pretty much the same annual mileage and have my 172 as a toy. Although i have just topped 6500 miles since early feb.

What do you do?

Diesel powered engines are the best for motorway mileage, i especially like my passat as its got 6 spd and cruise control. makes for good cruising.

Still annoyed about my cigarette lighters not working.:(

glynnd
28-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I am a bdm for a waste management/ recycling company:biglaugh:

glynnd
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
For all those who originally read this thread.
After having passat tdi re mapped 2 weeks ago just encountered a civic type r today from a standing start to 80 mph! Result, civic type r got 3/4 of a length on me. Before any cinics criticise I know what an engine hitting its limiter sounds like. On the honda its around 8200 rpm and he definitely hit it twice!

:biglaugh: