PDA

View Full Version : possibel clutch slippage??

vardypop
20-08-2010, 11:53 AM
hey guys and gals.

when in any gear, more noticeable at 30-40mph in 4th an 5th on half throttle, for example.

when you plant it to overtake etc, revs go upto redline rather quickly and speed just remains the same, then it dropps back to original speed and jumps forwards and speeds up.

Any advise on how to resolve this issue and tips on clutch replacement? underneath accsess or remove from the top etc?

any help would be great.

Thanks

m33sta
20-08-2010, 04:16 PM
If you want to test the clutch in your car, you need to bring your car on a level road where it will not move even when you have your handbrake down. Now make sure you have your handbrake on and switch on your engine. Change to the fourth gear (or fifth if you have) and start releasing the clutch while giving the car more gas ie depressing the gas pedal. If your car engine does not stall or your car moves, your clutch needs replacing!

vardypop
20-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Yea just tested that and the car dont move.. well prob a little but the engine dont stall.

whats the easiest way to get this done, block out or from underneath?

m33sta
23-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I honestky dont know mate, its not something I have done before, all I know is that if you have been having clutch slippage then there is a good chance that the flywheel will need changing aswell :(

What car is it, model, year etc?

vardypop
23-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I honestky dont know mate, its not something I have done before, all I know is that if you have been having clutch slippage then there is a good chance that the flywheel will need changing aswell :(

What car is it, model, year etc?

Its 1997 Audi A3 1.8 20v.

The car got stuck in 5th on the way home on friday night and wouldnt move, it rests at idle in 5th and dont stall.

with utter brute force it came out of gear, the peddle has sunk to the floor and wont lift.

Its totally frikkin dead.......

just had it back from repairers too as a "lovely person on a bike" hit it whilst it was parked on my road, which is a dead end....

how he couldnt of seen it i dunno lol

but yes, the clutch is dead.

Anyone in or around Peterborough mind coming to see if its something they can do? I has the cash and the parts, just need the mechanical know how.

Cheers

m33sta
24-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Are there any boken bits of metal/plastic on the drivers floor near the clutch? Sometimes its just the bracket that has snapped and can be welded back together. Do a search for clutch on here and it will show what I mean. Also looking at changing the clutch I think involves dropping the sub frame and gear box :eek: So sounds like a tricky job.