PDA

View Full Version : Central locking and back door problems

khaiiia
19-08-2010, 01:31 PM
For several weeks now i have had a problem with my back doors of my 2001 Audi A4 b6 model. i have not been able to unlock the rear doors. They are locked shut and cannot be opened from the inside, outside or central locking.

The central locking does not work either. It was reprogrammed by audi but only the fron two doors worked, but next day it stopped working.

Now, i have checked the Electronic convenience unit under the front passenger footwell, to see if it has any dampness, but all bone dry.

The door opening sign on the instrument cluster display shows left door opened when yiou have opened the right door and vice versa.

I have been to Audi and they said it could be the locks and £800 pounds to replace and gave no guarantee that it will solve the problem:zx11:.

Other local garages have said they can force the door apart!

Someone else said it could be the central locking pump, but didn't think this model had a pump.

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light to this mystery.

Also can someone tell me if i could overide the locks in the shut position so that i can open the doors in the meantime. Any ideas will be helpfull.

Soory for the long essay but i thought i'll let you know what i have tried so far.

Thanks in advance.

nevo
19-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Ithink both door locks going at once very unlikely,could be the convenience module even though its dry,try disconnecting the battery for a couple of mins,that might open the rear doors,you might need the radio code if its not the original one.also check the wiring to the module very carefully as far as you can go,look for damp ,chafing,spilts etc,these sort of problems are a nightmare to find,sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and start renewing parts with your fingers crossed! PS did audi do a fault code check?

khaiiia
19-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes, Audi checked with diagnostics but no fault codes. I also disconnected the battery and reconnected but no luck. When i took the convenience out i checked the wiring leading to it, i also moved the cables around to see if that triggers anything but no.

Even if i could somehow open and close the door manually for now i will be happy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

nevo
19-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I take it you're using the key in the door to lock it! and just the fronts are operating?,as I say both rears not operating there not getting a signal to operate.

trumpetman1
20-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a 2002 Passat with the exact same problem so any help would be appreciated from me

khaiiia
20-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Nevo,

Thats correct, but also regardless of whether there is a signal or not, the rear doors cannot be opened from inside or outside.

nevo
20-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Take the carpet up and follow the loom back to the footwell and check any soldered joints on the loom and resolder,even if they look intact.

nevo
20-08-2010, 10:17 PM
They dont open with the interior handles even when the systems working correctly(once locked)

khaiiia
20-08-2010, 11:59 PM
thats right, even with the inside handle the door doesn't open.

nevo
21-08-2010, 06:15 PM
what Im saying is thats normal with the doors locked,you need a wiring diagram to find the right coloured wire to operate the door locks bypassing the module.

khaiiia
25-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Where would I get a wiring diagram from? Also how would I bypass the module?