PDA

View Full Version : Sharan 2001 tdi Overheating

Sharangirl
18-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi all,

So my Sharan has developed a common problem to this engine (AUY). Checking on internet, lots of people have it and are trying to work it out, but no obvious cure.

Car runs smoothly when not under load. IE low speeds and not up hills. Once I put my foot down the temp gauge shoots up and oil goes up way too far too. There has been coolant loss and the internal cabin heater blows cold air.

So far replaced water pump(there were signs that coolant had come out near the pump previously, but not wet) - this wasn't broken though and thermostat. Car now in garage for a new rad. I hold out no hope this will work because I have seen so many other posts where same repairs done, but haven't worked.

Took it out for a test run after the new pump put on and ran it up a few hills. Temp gauges went crazy and coolant level went way, way above max level. Had to open coolant reservoir, losing it on road....... then top up with water because the level then dropped down below min. Then had to limp home because the temperature kept moving above the 90 mark.

Pressure test done and head gasket seems fine.

Anyone out there any ideas PLEASE???

Sharangirl
20-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks to all those who have posted previously on this fault. Looks like it's the head gasket. :(:( This seems to be a common fault on the 115 tdi and I have read somewhere that VW don't supply replacement 115 heads any more - they use the 130 which apparently doesn't have the same problems.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If its more than a gasket and we need a replacement/refurbed head, should we use a 130??

If anyone else out there has an unexplained coolant loss, first stop do the 'block' test for escaping gas (don't bother with the pressure test, that seems to show false negative results).

Drui
22-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a Sharan with this engine in, 2001 with 103,000mls. I have just gone thru exactly the same problems and did the thermostat, water pump rad thing. It was the head gasket. I took it off myself with the help of experienced mechanic and took it down to the local engineering workshop who has done several of these heads. He stripped the head, skimmed it and rebuilt it. I haved since done well over 2000mls with it including a trip to Scotland and it is going better than ever. Look at my posts on this forum here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101958 where I got some help.
Have you checked the coolant pipe at the back of the engine at the very top. This has a rubber block on it that perishes allowing the pipe to chafe against the metal housing and it gets a very fine hole that lets the water out under pressure. This is origionally what went on mine and I think that lost water initially which allowed the other half to overheat the engine resulting in slightly warped head = head gasket problems.
Hope this helps.

Sharangirl
23-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Drui, Great to get a reply from you - I have read your posts with great interest as your symptoms seem very similar.

Car gone back to garage this morning for a new gasket/check of the head. Will give them a call now and ask them to check the pipe you mention. Car almost at 160,000 and runs so sweetly when not under any load. Think it's had this problem brewing for a few years though because of coolant loss. Wish I knew then what I have learnt now! IE I had no idea that G12 was the only coolant it should have/don't mix coolants/don't top up with water:(:(:(. Will post again when we have any news.

Garage was surprised when they did the gas test that there was so much............ especially after the pressure test came up negs.

Sharangirl
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
As promised here is an update.

Car has had a new head fitted......... so no holiday and fixed the car instead....... V V pricey......

To all those losing coolant on the TDI 1.9 engine, beware!!

Ask garage to do a block test which will change colour if gases are escaping, apparently takes some time to change if you are only experiencing coolant loss when the car is under load (ie 70/80 uphill or heavily loaded). If it changes colour, you have a leak in the system.

Garages go for the coolant pump first (old plastic impellers fall apart - but ours was fine) and if you are lucky that will fix your problem. By the way, to get to the coolant pump they have to remove the cam so this isn't a cheap job! Don't bother with the rad, ours was fine and I have seen loads of posts where the rad was replaced and didn't fix the problem.

These heads aren't meant to be skimmed either...... think seriously then about getting rid of your car, work out how much you have already spent on it and whether it is better to keep spending or cut your losses. Since we had already spent out on new tyres, new cam, new coolant pump, Air Mass Flow, full service, new discs/pads, front struts/rear suspension.... etc etc we decided to keep going.:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

By the way, anyone have any ideas on why my fuel consumption should be down at 37mpg now but before the new head I was averaging 46mpg?

Drui
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM
As promised here is an update.

Car has had a new head fitted......... so no holiday and fixed the car instead....... V V pricey......

To all those losing coolant on the TDI 1.9 engine, beware!!

Ask garage to do a block test which will change colour if gases are escaping, apparently takes some time to change if you are only experiencing coolant loss when the car is under load (ie 70/80 uphill or heavily loaded). If it changes colour, you have a leak in the system.

Garages go for the coolant pump first (old plastic impellers fall apart - but ours was fine) and if you are lucky that will fix your problem. By the way, to get to the coolant pump they have to remove the cam so this isn't a cheap job! Don't bother with the rad, ours was fine and I have seen loads of posts where the rad was replaced and didn't fix the problem.

These heads aren't meant to be skimmed either...... think seriously then about getting rid of your car, work out how much you have already spent on it and whether it is better to keep spending or cut your losses. Since we had already spent out on new tyres, new cam, new coolant pump, Air Mass Flow, full service, new discs/pads, front struts/rear suspension.... etc etc we decided to keep going.:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

By the way, anyone have any ideas on why my fuel consumption should be down at 37mpg now but before the new head I was averaging 46mpg?
If you went to a VW dealer then I can imagine it did cost a lot. I replaced my rad as it was 9yrs old and full of flies etc and at £110 it seemed a wise move. I had my head skimmed and it's been running better than ever, VW say they can't be skimmed but this is apparently not the case....
I managed to sort mine for £825 inc new rad,water pump, cam belt and thermostat and a fair bit of my time. I only get an average of 38/39 on mine anyway as 4motion. 40/42 on a run.
I know what you mean tho with being :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: by your car, I have chucked a fair bit of money at mine whilst I have owned it, I would not buy another VW and have found the dealer service very poor.....Great car though!

Sharangirl
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Congrats on getting yours fixed for £800 - impressive. At our local garage, just a cam change/service is over £500. Whether to skim or not... the garage (not VW s*eal*rs) we went to were very good, but the head alone was £800!! One good thing though, the head that came was new, not recon (new from *teal*rs are £2,000). They had previously had one of these heads skimmed and it 'hadnt gone well' so didn't want a repeat experience.

Fuel consumption now at 39.6 so heading up. Perhaps something in the new head needs to loosen up. Thought new head meant greater fuel economy. My OH doesn't like VWs anymore (Passat with an onboard jacuzzi behind the drivers seat.....). ....... Trade in time coming up but how to get rid of the damp smell!!!