PDA

View Full Version : Brake Warning lights

westie383
15-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Hello folks, (bestest pals) ;)
I know this question has been asked before, and I've done loads of searches, but the answers seem to vary so much, from "ignore it" to "have it exorsised".
I've just had the front pads and discs changed today, and now when I start the engine I get three beeps, followed by the messages "STOP", Brake Fault", "Service Manual", plus the red circled (!) symbol. The ABS light comes ON for a few seconds, then goes OUT as it should do. The garage where I had the jod done is not a VW one, but the mechanic took the car to our local VW ******** for advise. They gave the stock reply about unless the car is hooked up to the diagnostics it could be....the hand brake switch, blown fuse, low brake fluid level etc.. Fluid level is fine, and brake associated fuses are fine. I realise it could be a glitch as the brakes seem to be working excellent, but it's a bit worrying as I'm supposed to be off down to London in it on Friday. :(
Any help would be most appreciated.:)

glynnd
16-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Have you fitted genuine pads?

westie383
16-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi glynnd,
At last, I think I've sorted it. I was fairly sure it had something to do with the fluid reservoir, so to start with I took the plastic scuttle panel off so I could get to the low level switch. When I disconnected the plug, the warning lights, messages and bleeper no longer came on. After that, I took some of the brake fluid out using a plastic syringe and then put it back in gradually and reconnected the plug. The only other thing I did was to lift the centre of the dirt strainer in the middle of the filler (really clutching at straws now), and hey presto no more problems. Just taken it out for a test drive, down a quiet road, checking the ABS & traction control, all OK. Replacements were just bog standard Mintex with sensors. http://www.passatworld.com/smilies/thumbsup.gif