PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 TSI fuel consumption

dcdick
17-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi all

My 122 ps TSI is only getting around 36/37mpg in "normal" driving (just over 1k miles covered)

If I drive like Jackie Stewart (imagining there is an egg between my foot & the pedals) I can get around 50mpg on good roads ( no hills/heavy traffic etc....) but have to work at this. A short trip to the nearest town (2.5m) will show 60mpg 1 way but the (uphill) return knocks it back to the "average"
Part of the sales pitch included heavy & frequent references to the fuel consumption of around 47mpg being realistic.

I left the "boy racer" days behind years ago & apart from an hour or so a week ago when I had a bit of a blast around some quiet roads I drive quite conservatively

As I am around 20% away from the published figures I would like to hear others experiences (I've seen the other consumption thread but looking for direct comparison figures with other 1.4 TSI's)

Berisford
17-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Can't help with the poor fuel consumption question but what are 'steering fog lamps' mentioned in your footnote?

SC03OTT
17-08-2010, 05:54 PM
It's brand new. Get some miles on it first.

david25
17-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Short trips are always bad for fuel, short cold trips are even worse.

I manage 40-ish on my journey to work, but that's 40 miles.

dcdick
17-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Can't help with the poor fuel consumption question but what are 'steering fog lamps' mentioned in your footnote?

Here's description from another forum that is very clear

"Between 5mph and 20mph with dipped headlights on, if you indicate or turn the steering wheel then then either the left or right fog light will illuminate to help you 'see' round the corner. It can be helpful in a dark lane but on a well lit round it is not much benifit.
The illumitation is gradual the fog light does not just go on then off it it brightens up gradually then dims slowly off."

Surprising how handy they are when parking in all but the best lit car parks etc...

Cheers

dcdick
17-08-2010, 06:29 PM
It's brand new. Get some miles on it first.

I was hoping to find out if the engine does "loosen" & the fuel con gets anywhere near the spec from VW.
At the moment if I was to drive in a "reasonably spirited" (advice from VW sales person) manner I would be down in the low 30's
Modern engines should not need to be "run in" due to the high quality manufacturing tolerances employed these days.
I was hoping for feedback from TSI 122ps owners (no offence intended)

I also take the point about short journeys, but the example was included to show that the car is (so far) only economical on light throttle with minimal loading

p3asa
17-08-2010, 06:55 PM
VW call them "Static cornering lights" I believe.

As for the MPG, if you go to http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ you will be able to see real life comparisons with other 1.4TSI's

HHGTTG
17-08-2010, 07:30 PM
VW call them "Static cornering lights" I believe.

As for the MPG, if you go to http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ you will be able to see real life comparisons with other 1.4TSI's
Over the last 6,000 miles since new, last year I have averaged 42.2mpg using mainly Shell's V-power petrol.
Although acceptable, I had, frankl,y expected a bit more than this, based on my four year+ ownership of a 1.6 FSI MK5 Golf which averaged virtually the same mpg.
Maybe using the extra noticeable Ooomph of the TSI engine puts paid to those extra mpg I'd hoped for.

Gerryf
17-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm only half way into my first tankful but the returns are looking promising :)....40.4 average showing on the readout....that's brilliant for the type of driving I do. I'll post more accurate figures after a few tankful's.

dcdick
17-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Over the last 6,000 miles since new, last year I have averaged 42.2mpg using mainly Shell's V-power petrol.
Although acceptable, I had, frankl,y expected a bit more than this, based on my four year+ ownership of a 1.6 FSI MK5 Golf which averaged virtually the same mpg.
Maybe using the extra noticeable Ooomph of the TSI engine puts paid to those extra mpg I'd hoped for.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm feeling exactly the same, the mk4 1.6 I traded after almost 7 yrs was giving around 41 (using standard Shell if possible) I did notice an improvement with "super" but not enough to justify the price hike.

Do you think the Shell V-power has a noticeable effect on performance/economy ?

I'm currently using whatever I come across for fuel, mostly Jet as there are 2 local filling stations that have that.

Hmmmm........

HHGTTG
18-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm feeling exactly the same, the mk4 1.6 I traded after almost 7 yrs was giving around 41 (using standard Shell if possible) I did notice an improvement with "super" but not enough to justify the price hike.

I'm currently using whatever I come across for fuel, mostly Jet as there are 2 local filling stations that have that.

Hmmmm........
It seemed to make a difference to my last Golf (Shell V-power or whatever it was called then) but I just like putting it into my MK6 and I don't do a high annual mileage, now and so costs don't really come into the equation, to be honest.

Unfashionably, I've got money to burn!!

ttlowton
18-08-2010, 11:31 AM
After 15,000 miles my 122 TSI DSG mpg is high 30's, on long runs's though it's quite easy to exceed 50mpg recent 240 mile run 60% m'way 40% A Rd. it managed 56mpg.
The problem comes with any use of the power that the TSI engine has, if driven with any kind of verve it's all to easy to go below 30mpg but it dose bring a smile to your face.

Hope this help's,

T.

dcdick
18-08-2010, 02:00 PM
After 15,000 miles my 122 TSI DSG mpg is high 30's, on long runs's though it's quite easy to exceed 50mpg recent 240 mile run 60% m'way 40% A Rd. it managed 56mpg.
The problem comes with any use of the power that the TSI engine has, if driven with any kind of verve it's all to easy to go below 30mpg but it dose bring a smile to your face.

Hope this help's,

T.

I think that sums it up quite well.
If I daudle around it gives mid 40's (on published spec) but even moderate use of the available power will see the consumption sink.
Small, high revving engine, heavy car I suppose.
The phrase "swings & roudabouts" comes to mind :cool:

Gerryf
21-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I had an indicated 52.4 mpg on a motorway run between London and Brighton....even if the figure is 20% optimistic I'd still be happy.
I didn't drive especially careful for good fuel returns but traffic flow was ideal excepting a 20 minute snarl up on the M25.

ross980
28-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Mine seemed to improve noticeably after about 2k miles.

Mine's (calculated) mpg has ranged from 36 mpg over tank full (last winter, lots of slow/short journeys) up to 46 mpg over a tankful (mainly motorway/fast A road). The trip computer seems very accurate (under-reads slightly if anything). 50+ mpg average is achievable on a run if you take it steady, especially if you hit roadworks with 50 mph average speed cameras. The fuel economy plummets if you start mixing it with the reps in the outside lane though.
It's not great with cold starts over short journeys, but that's to be expected. First years service is due in a few weeks, so will have to see if that makes any difference (don't think it will as the car has only covered 6k). Overall I think the fuel economy can be very good, but you've got to drive it s-l-o-w-l-y.

I'm looking at getting some Thule roofbars/bike carriers soon, which in reality will probably end up becoming a permanent fixture on the car so my days of 50+ mpg journeys might be over!

prise
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
This should answer your question - data from 440 owners with your engine!

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/50-Volkswagen/452-Golf.html?fueltype=2&vehicletype=1&power_s=90&power_e=90

p3asa
01-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah that site was linked to a fortnight ago (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=549843&postcount=7) but some folk like to be spoon fed :biglaugh:

ollli
16-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Hmmmm........

well i've being watchin how much fuel i'm using and my car can be good if you drive like a nun but if i give it a spankin then low 20's for me so i'm back in my mk4 and using the mk6 in the weekend.As for which type of fuel i did try the v power for a while but couldn't see any change but on 98 it runs alot better ,i'm now thinkin about havin it remapped which they say can improve your fuel economy aswell as power output.

Gerryf
16-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Ollli, a remap will definitely improve the power output but expect your mpg's to suffer if you're inclined to use the power.

nickbarnard
23-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi,
I have a 1.4 tsi 122 ps. I have done around 7000 miles and am averaging 38 mpg. To be fair at times I do put my foot down but I seriously expected more from it. After the sales man raving about the high mpg I should be getting i was disappointed! Motorway driving is really good and I can get around 50-55 mpg but for most other driving the mpg dramatically drops! I have spoken 2 the dealership that sold me the golf and they suggested an economy test at the garage to see if everything is working ok!?!?!?!? hope this helps. currently using the shell fuel save petrol and seeing a bit of an improvement!

SC03OTT
23-09-2010, 10:35 PM
What type of driving do you do?

Gerryf
23-09-2010, 10:44 PM
My 1.4 Tsi DSG 122 bhp is averaging 32 mpg in terribly congested London traffic ....brilliant ! considering I was getting a little less from a Ford Focus 1.8 Tdci manual.

HHGTTG
23-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Well, recently my car now seems to be returning the sort of mpg I'd hoped for. My last two tank top ups i.e. to the brim, have returned ca. 44 mpg and this figure is also very close to the figure displayed by the MFD in memory 2 which I reset each time I refill the tank.
Some daytime journeys I am easily getting nearly 50mpg mainly on the quieter roads withoug a lot of violent acceleration etc.
I can't really believe this is due to my first service nearly two months ago. After all what would they have done to make the car improve its consumption like this? I am also being less fussy about fuel often putting in Esso regular petrol

safeer23
08-06-2011, 01:13 PM
i own a mk6 golf 1.4 tsi match 2011, has about 1500 on the clock. a full tank of about £65 will show about 350-380 mile range on the trip computer and i end up getting around that much aswell with normal local driving. other ppl are talking about getting 40+ mpg any one know why im not getting anywhere near this?

Rhigour
08-06-2011, 02:06 PM
My previous car was a 1.4 TSI (122PS)Match with DSG and I used to get an average of 49 mpg (39 in town 52 open road) I have just changed and the new car is same but manual. On my first full tank fill up I have done 317 miles and the petrol gauge is one notch below half full ,computer says 220 to fillup. I expect to get 45 mpg out of this first tank fill and will report how things go as engine frees up.
safeer23 DO YOU HAVE A LEAD FOOT ? This engine will give best fuel consumption on using low revs , it likes to use its torque to cruise at only 1200 rev and at 1600 is asking you to change up. It all seems contrary to what we were used to, making the engine flog, but that is how the DSG box is set up to operate it and how it likes it.

Silvergrey
08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder how much fuel DRL's use?!

Hughesynights
08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I wonder how much fuel DRL's use?!

Not a lot.

A Golf sized car needs about 15 kW power (about 20 horse power) from the engine to maintain steady speed of 60 mph.
The two DRLs use 30 W.
Therefore the DRLs are adding about 0.2% to the engine's power (without accounting for losses in the alternator and electrical system).

To put it in to context, the car stereo is probably using nearly this much.

safeer23
09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
My previous car was a 1.4 TSI (122PS)Match with DSG and I used to get an average of 49 mpg (39 in town 52 open road) I have just changed and the new car is same but manual. On my first full tank fill up I have done 317 miles and the petrol gauge is one notch below half full ,computer says 220 to fillup. I expect to get 45 mpg out of this first tank fill and will report how things go as engine frees up.
safeer23 DO YOU HAVE A LEAD FOOT ? This engine will give best fuel consumption on using low revs , it likes to use its torque to cruise at only 1200 rev and at 1600 is asking you to change up. It all seems contrary to what we were used to, making the engine flog, but that is how the DSG box is set up to operate it and how it likes it.

maybe theres something wrong with my car, cos its barely been thrashed and ive just used up my third full tank and this third one gave me exactly 370 miles, of which only 100 were motorway miles. what do u reckon?

Keithuk
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
You should have bought a TDI?

Rhigour
09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
You should have bought a TDI?

I do better than 41.7 mpg in my 1.4 petrol TSi

Rhigour
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
maybe theres something wrong with my car, cos its barely been thrashed and ive just used up my third full tank and this third one gave me exactly 370 miles, of which only 100 were motorway miles. what do u reckon?
I would check out the other candidates such as tyre pressures, alignment (look for scrub on tyres), driving style, and if you cant get close to the published figures it's time for a chat with the main dealer. you should certainly be getting closer to 45 than 30

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/anotherbaldrick/P1030783Small.jpg

safeer23
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I would check out the other candidates such as tyre pressures, alignment (look for scrub on tyres), driving style, and if you cant get close to the published figures it's time for a chat with the main dealer. you should certainly be getting closer to 45 than 30

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/anotherbaldrick/P1030783Small.jpg

taken it dealers now, they say theres nothing wrong with the car and its normal to be averaging around 300 miles for a tank. also anyone else experiencing a loud rattle like noise form the engine when the cars stationary, especially after long motorway journeys?

Rhigour
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM
taken it dealers now, they say theres nothing wrong with the car and its normal to be averaging around 300 miles for a tank. also anyone else experiencing a loud rattle like noise form the engine when the cars stationary, especially after long motorway journeys?

yea right.;)

Rhigour
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
OK filled it up today. to pump cut out 43.6 litres, trip meter 436 miles = 45.4 mpg. the computer display damn nigh spot on.

Rhigour
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Safeer 23
Re the second part of your post. I have with this car experienced a noise after a long run while the car was idling on the driveway. I did not classify it as an engine rattle as such, more like rough running or hunting from the motor which was vibrating the heat shields and other bits. noise stopped on opening throttle.

Darklien
12-06-2011, 09:19 PM
i own a mk6 golf 1.4 tsi match 2011, has about 1500 on the clock. a full tank of about £65 will show about 350-380 mile range on the trip computer and i end up getting around that much aswell with normal local driving. other ppl are talking about getting 40+ mpg any one know why im not getting anywhere near this?

+1 I am in exactly the same boat! I am assuming that this is due to the car not being run in yet...I have only just covered 550 miles so i am waiting to see if ths improves when things begin to loosen up. I have to say that if i drive in a more spirited manner the mpg's drop significantly.

Rhigour
13-06-2011, 09:53 AM
+1 I am in exactly the same boat! I am assuming that this is due to the car not being run in yet...I have only just covered 550 miles so i am waiting to see if ths improves when things begin to loosen up. I have to say that if i drive in a more spirited manner the mpg's drop significantly.

I have only done about 500 miles but was surprised to find I needed to top up the oil ,about a third left on the stick. Don't know what made me look at it , having had all my last cars not using any I have got out of the habit of checking.

ross980
13-06-2011, 11:07 AM
300 miles to a tank is waaaay too low IME. I've done just over 300 miles on my current tank (one 'notch' under half left) - about 140 miles of that was covered at the weekend (busy but free flowing A roads) the rest is all round town with lots of aircon use. I normally fill up once the petrol light comes on, I don't think this has ever happened at less than 400 miles, even with lots of urban miles.

I used to keep a spreadsheet before the novelty of owning a new car wore off, my worse mpg/theoretical range was 35.8/433 during the bad weather 2 winters ago (I didn't let the tank get too empty but the warning light would have come on at circa 370 miles). Highest (calculated) mpg over a tank was 46.7mpg. Think I'm averaging low 40s, rising to high 40s/(very) low 50s on a run.

Keithuk
13-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes you 1.4 TSI guys should have had a 2.0 diesel if your worry about fuel con as one of those will easily outstrip your figures?

Rhigour
13-06-2011, 12:55 PM
You talking about your 41.7 mpg ?, you paid quids more for a diesel and the worry of DMF's and DPF's to keep you awake at night, and your economy is worse than my petrol. Apart frm which your fuel is more expensive and it smells.

Keithuk
13-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Yes I get 42mpg but 70% of mine is local running. Hughesynights (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?81839-How-economical-is-your-Golf/page20) gets 62mpg. Yes we do pay more for diesel but it last alot longer. I'm not bothered about the DPF I've never had my light come on. Any problems out of warranty and it gets removed.

Yes the DMF is $hit but thats not down to a diesel problem as they fit them to petrol as well. It must be down to economy if you have the smallest Golf made and try to make up for it with a powerful engine, you don't get something for nothing?

I'm not picking on one user with a 1.4 I'm just generalising on what figures they are quoting. You seem to be better that the others.

Gerryf
13-06-2011, 02:00 PM
The beauty of the 1.4 Tsi petrol is.....it's capable of brilliant mpg if you nurse it along but the mpg's plummet if you're inclined to use the available power.

I always get in excess of 30 mpg round my exceptionally congested end of London .....once I use high speed roads like the NCR....my mpg creep towards 40 mpg.

I have a long trip coming up.......London to Nottingham and then onto Filey (close to Scarborough)......I'll be disappointed if I can't see in excess of 50 mpg but I'll be aiming for mid 50's.

Until recently such figures were unobtainable in a mid size petrol auto car (DSG)

I'm an honest type of chap so be assured I'll post the mpg figures accurately.

ross980
13-06-2011, 03:13 PM
The beauty of the 1.4 Tsi petrol is.....it's capable of brilliant mpg if you nurse it along but the mpg's plummet if you're inclined to use the available power.

I always get in excess of 30 mpg round my exceptionally congested end of London .....once I use high speed roads like the NCR....my mpg creep towards 40 mpg.

I have a long trip coming up.......London to Nottingham and then onto Filey (close to Scarborough)......I'll be disappointed if I can't see in excess of 50 mpg but I'll be aiming for mid 50's.

Until recently such figures were unobtainable in a mid size petrol auto car (DSG)

I'm an honest type of chap so be assured I'll post the mpg figures accurately.

Pretty much exactly my experience, as soon as you put your foot down the economy plummets. I've done the same (mainly motorway) journey early on a Sunday morning, I've had from late 30s mpg (85 mph) to low 50s mpg (cc set to 65mph) depending how late/early I've been. It definitely pays to be organised! I think the highest indicated I've had is just over 52mpg on a trip back from Scotland (no rush, busy roads, roadworks + Average Speed Camera zones all probably helped).

Just to butt in on the Keith/Rhigour discussion - I only do 5-6k a year so it would have taken me ages to recoup the money back on the 2l diesel, the better (I assume?) residuals aren't really an issue as I plan in keeping this car a long time. In response to Rhigour though I can understand why people who drive low miles still choose diesels. I've driven loads of 140ish bhp 2l diesels (various makes/models) and 'real world' performance wise they absolutely annihilate the 1.4tsi when on the move. Even more modest diesels are very hard to keep up without dropping a few gears.

Gerryf
24-06-2011, 04:03 PM
After a 522 mile round trip my computer was displaying 54.6 mpg :)....probably a little optimistic but I shan't be filling the tank because of being skint.....lol

Mile after mile of 50 mph restrictions helped no end because I was always sub 2000rpm...
the TSI IMO is capable of more but I might have missed a golden opportunity ?

Darklien
25-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I have only done about 500 miles but was surprised to find I needed to top up the oil ,about a third left on the stick. Don't know what made me look at it , having had all my last cars not using any I have got out of the habit of checking.

I'd better check my oil levels just to be on the safe side! Can anyone tell me the recommended oil for these engines?

Thanks

Gerryf
25-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow Longlife III 5W-30 ? not positive mate because I've never needed any.

Rhigour
25-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Any of These http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-749-vw-50400-oil.aspx if on long life service.
if not (1 year 10K) http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-746-vw-50200-oil.aspx or any from list above.

vc-10
27-06-2011, 12:50 PM
The way I understand it, the TSI is capable of drinking just as much fuel as the 1.6 FSI did when you thrash it (producing that power still requires a lot of fuel), but that the TSI is much more efficient when you're not on the power.

Rhigour
27-06-2011, 02:21 PM
The way I understand it, the TSI is capable of drinking just as much fuel as the 1.6 FSI did when you thrash it (producing that power still requires a lot of fuel), but that the TSI is much more efficient when you're not on the power.

Certainly you will drink fuel if you wind the rev counter round the dial in acceleration but the knack with the TSI is to make use of the engines fantastic torque when you want to get a wriggle on . Keep your revs down by changing up gear to gear at about 2000 revs, the urge will get you up to 60 in the same time but far more economically . That is the way the DSG box does it to return the mpg it does, assuming you have the 122PS engine

vc-10
27-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, I actually drive a 65PS 1.2 Polo, but anyway... :D

topdrawer
27-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I'd better check my oil levels just to be on the safe side! Can anyone tell me the recommended oil for these engines?

Thanks

You should have been supplied with a litre of engine oil when you bought the car. Mine was supplied in a neat zipped nylon case with wipes and which sits in the wheel arch recess. Its synthetic 5W-40. Mines done 1000 miles - checked the oil yesterday and its still full.

Rhigour
28-06-2011, 12:25 PM
OK; second fuel up, consumption has now improved to 49.5 mpg and overall from new average is 47.5 mpg . Wonder if I can wring any more out of it ? With the price of petrol now down to 132.9 things are better.

dcdick
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
2 days ago when I had run down to the "shops" with the missus I clocked up a fuel figure of 71.1mpg !!!!

Short journey, very warm day, 3 miles, flat with a short decline (500 yds) at the end then into supermarket car park, light traffic 30mph zone mostly.

The return journey (which includes the initial climb out of the town & a very gentle incline for most of the way) resulted in a total 2 way fuel figure of 52.3mpg.

The car now has 6,500 miles up & the engine & (super slick) gearbox are by far the best part of this car :)

Average fuel consumption is now 45.8mpg as far as I can tell from my (somewhat sketchy) records

And fuel prices are starting to drop at last !

HHGTTG
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Try turning on the engine next time :)

dcdick
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Try turning on the engine next time :)

Surely if you do that it uses more petrol :)

Rhigour
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Surely if you do that it uses more petrol :)

Yes but it saves wear and tear on the missus on the return uphill journey.

dcdick
10-07-2011, 03:40 PM
The plot thickens..............

Repeated the same short journey referred to in post 53 above & this time clocked 79.1mpg !!!!!

Weather conditions the same, traffic the same.... (but I had been out in the car & returned around 1 hour before setting off again so the engine was still warm before starting out)
This time the total mileage was around 35mile for the trip & the recorded mpg was 49.4 which is only slightly above normal for a journey including car parks, motorways & A/B roads.

This car is capable of really good fuel economy "IF" you drive smoothly & carefully. Even so my total mpg (including the severe winter last year in the NE) of 45mpg is very respectable & I'm quite happy with that aspect of the car.

Now that I'm a pensioner I suppose I can play with this & try & hit 80mpg before the summer ends .....................yes I know,..better things to do etc...

Rhigour
10-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Now that I'm a pensioner I suppose I can play with this & try & hit 80mpg before the summer ends .....................yes I know,..better things to do etc...

If you manage it let me know how, I'm a pensioner as well !

Brian566
10-07-2011, 05:09 PM
The plot thickens..............

Repeated the same short journey referred to in post 53 above & this time clocked 79.1mpg !!!!!

Weather conditions the same, traffic the same.... (but I had been out in the car & returned around 1 hour before setting off again so the engine was still warm before starting out)
This time the total mileage was around 35mile for the trip & the recorded mpg was 49.4 which is only slightly above normal for a journey including car parks, motorways & A/B roads.

This car is capable of really good fuel economy "IF" you drive smoothly & carefully. Even so my total mpg (including the severe winter last year in the NE) of 45mpg is very respectable & I'm quite happy with that aspect of the car.

Are you sure you have not got some Pedals!!
I no I have just purchased mine But struggle to get 35 MPG short Journeys But did 42mpg on a 60mile run hope it improves with time

dcdick
10-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Are you sure you have not got some Pedals!!
I no I have just purchased mine But struggle to get 35 MPG short Journeys But did 42mpg on a 60mile run hope it improves with time

Ha, ha ............ don't worry, the fuel consumption does improve with miles on the clock :)

dcdick
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM
If you manage it let me know how, I'm a pensioner as well !

I'll do what I can, I know it's cheating a bit but it gets right up the nose of my neighbour with his Mazda 3 that struggles to hit 40mpg on a run :) :)

sofaking
11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Hope I won't get in trouble for bumping an old thread. :p

At the moment I'm getting approx. 7.2L/100km. I think that's close to 39MPG. That's a mixture of motorway and city driving and I do occasionally have a heavy right foot. :Blush2:

vc-10
11-11-2012, 08:38 PM
For mostly city and motorway that's about what I get in my 1.2 Polo... which is quite depressing. With almost twice the power, and in a much nicer, larger, car.

sofaking
12-11-2012, 02:41 PM
For mostly city and motorway that's about what I get in my 1.2 Polo... which is quite depressing. With almost twice the power, and in a much nicer, larger, car.
Ok, that make me feel a bit better. Cheers. :p

lindrup119
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Best MPG I've ever got from my TSI 122 so far:

http://i45.tinypic.com/105b240.jpg (62.7)

It all depends on how heavy your right foot is to be honest. You can get ridiculously high MPGs out of them or you can destroy it - I think the lowest I've seen on mine so far was 18, but I was driving like an **** so to be expected.

sofaking
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Wow, I've never managed anywhere near that. :( Is that mostly motorway driving?

Rhigour
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I managed that with my MK5 1,4 Match with DSG but with the Mk6 1.4 Match manual I can only get 54 ish. I think the difference was that the Mk 5 had narrower tyres.

Ash3000k
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I get around 35mpg in my 160 GT TSI, driving normally in rush hour traffic

Europa25
26-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I just got my Golf 2 weeks ago, 20k on a 09 plate, Manual 6 speed.

Having come from a (Passat 2.0TDi DSG 55 plate,55k), I've been keen to see some good fuel returns having gone back to petrol!

I drive from Gatwick to Heathrow most days (non rush hour), and in the Passat (going from full tank to refill), the cost was around £5 per 42 mile journey.

I've driven 330 miles in the Golf, filled up last night, and it's working out at just over £6 per journey - I was hoping for a decrease ! That works out at 42 mpg at around 75mph.
I don't want to slow down to say 65, as the M25 is just one long lorry convoy, and a commute manoevering between them constantly is pretty annoying - and dangerous!

The cars got the 17" seattle wheels fitted with 225/45 W 17 tyres , not sure if this has an impact
Gotta say the tyre noise at speed is something else though !

Hope it improves as the weather gets warmer, not sure if I should have stuck to TDi ;)

Brian566
27-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi
I don't think you will ever get the same MPG in the a petrol as you would in a diesel as you are on the motorway the 1.4 is runing at a lot higher revs than a 2.0ltr Diesel
The 1.4 does not do well at high revs
For the Journey you due you should have considered Diesel.

Jumbo Golfer
17-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I think with the 1.4TSi, you have to drive it a gear higher than you think. It copes really well and whilst it feels as though it's slightly labourish, the economy improves by 10-15%

jonfun21
28-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Had mine for 4 years and get an average of just above 45, mix of motorway and town driving with normal fuel.

You have to drive it very hard to get under 40 on any journey, however to reach the dizzy heights of 50+ requires very careful driving, I can achieve this on long motorway runs with quick acceleration in 3rd then dropping it straight into 6th for the rest of the journey.

MK6-Fan
27-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Got this on a motorway run recently (1.4 (122) TSI) & 2nd picture is my range out of a full tank using Shell V-Power Nitro.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4535/20130223160229.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7619/20130223160237.jpg

J400uk
28-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Quite impressed with the MPG some of you MK6 chaps are getting. I got a Leon 1.4 TSI a few months ago which on paper is supposed to be very similar for fuel consumption. My driving to date has been about 2/3 motorway (where it sees 44mpg) and 1/3 town (normally mid 30s mpg) with an overall figure of 40mpg. I accelerate fairly briskly but I don't exceed the speed limit or change up gears late. Should it be doing better?

high mileage
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Had my Golf for about 9 months now done 4700 miles on average getting around 44mpg different mix of driving, recently had a 90 mile trip averaged 54mpg very pleased with the mpg run the car on Shell V Power. Rate the V power as my other Car Vw Passat 2.0 FSI 55 plate 43500 miles used V power since new getting 35 mpg normal driving and 44 mpg on longer runs .

J400uk
13-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I've noticed a slight improvement over the past couple of weeks using Shell fuel instead. Got 42mpg the other morning on a short 4 mile journey to the office, but I'm surprised how little that improves on the motorway as a 160 mile round trip the other day driving at 70mph mostly only got 46.7mpg. Could be worse I guess but could also be a lot better! Car has done 54k miles.