PDA

View Full Version : How to replace front shock absorbers?

Nimshoi
16-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi all,

Please can you help?

I recently purchased an Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 2004 & appears the front shocks need to be replaced. I like to have a stab at doing these things myself & have purchased 2no new Bilsteins!

However, it appears the leg assembly is slightly different to the 'norm' and am hoping someone could advise me on how to remove legs? I think i may need to undo a lot more than i was anticipating....am i right?

Your help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob :1zhelp:

Embisix
17-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Doh! You went and called them shock absorbers, bit of a no-no round here it seems ;).

Check out this thread and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103100

That said, we are a tolerant lot, so I'm sure someone on this forum will be more than pleased to help you with your dampers. Good luck!

nevo
17-08-2010, 12:27 PM
what mileage have you got on it? whats wrong with them?should still be ok on a 04 plate,changing the struts will incur more costs,pinch bolt will be seized almost certainly, if it is you'll require heat screwing up both upper control arms.

Nimshoi
17-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Was oil on the floor under near side front wheel. Further investigation led to conclusion damper had leaked out as was wet down the leg.

As for 'dampers' then appears could be a bit of a pain.
However a giude would be nice if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Rob

Nimshoi
17-08-2010, 01:12 PM
mileage 99,000

S4Cabrio21fan
16-10-2015, 12:47 AM
mileage 99,000

Did you get the dampers replaced in the end? I have a possible issue with excessive road noise which could be the cheap tyres I am replacing tomorrow or wheel bearings or possibly the dampers. I hope it's not the last two issues!

spartacus 68
29-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Did you get the dampers replaced in the end? I have a possible issue with excessive road noise which could be the cheap tyres I am replacing tomorrow or wheel bearings or possibly the dampers. I hope it's not the last two issues!

You're replying to a 5-year old thread?

Rule out the wheel bearings as I'd only replace dampers if they were leaking. Yes they get soggy over time, but OE parts aren't cheap. If it's the bearings, then fit OE or equivalent such as FAG.

Get the car jacked up and get axle stands located. Chock the rear wheels.

Apply Duck Oil penetrating release on the pinch bolt 2-3 days before attempting the job. The pinch bolt invariably seizes and shifting Excalibur would be easier! Have a new pinch bolt at hand to replace. Undo the nut, but don't remove completely. You can drive it out with a punch and lump hammer. Part of the trouble is getting a decent swing. If it's on ramps it's easier, but can be done on the driveway. With the pinch bolt out, knock the upper control arms up and out of the way with a rubber mallet. If they're worn, consider renewing with Meyle HD arms (4 year warranty). Only tighten the arms under load or you'll goose the rubber bushes.

Undo the lower strut bolt and remove. Undo the ARB link. With the bonnet open, undo but don't remove the three top strut bolts. Compress the coil spring (ensuring its properly seated). These things can be lethal, so use decent kit such as Draper compressors. On the lower strut, there's a slit where the damper drops into. Spray Duck Oil Penetrating Release on it and wire brush the area so can see movement. Break the corrosion seal and lightly tap with a hammer. Use a suitable metal wedge (cold chisel) to lever open the housing slightly. Undo the top three strut mount bolts. Grabbing the strut assembly you should be able to get some movement now. Use a hammer on the spring seat if it's stuck.

You can remove the tie-rod end if you wish as it will give you a little more access.

Remove the assembly, and undo the damper nut. You'll need a 22mm drop ring spanner an Allen bit or Torx bit. Renew the top mount if it looks worn, and check the condition of the bump stops.

Couple of tips for replacing the damper. Clean the lower strut assembly and use clean engine oil to lube the damper base before inserting back. Also line up the spring so it sits properly in the spring seat. They're are metal tabs it sits within.

With the damper assembly back in, it's easier to use a jack under the lower balljoint to lift the whole lot back into position. That way you can line up the top mount for the bolts. Also don't over torque the bolts or you'll strip them.

Last tip, grease the new pinch bolt. Get the tracking checked and alignment.

More details here with pictures. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/114492-B6-B7-A4-Suspension-Removal-and-Install

quattrokid
29-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Don't know about the OP but I certainly appreciated that, I have mine to do when I can get to it and have never worked on A4 suspension before, all links and info copied to my favourites, Thanks very much :)

S4Cabrio21fan
09-11-2015, 05:07 PM
I had no idea it was a 5 year old post, I should have checked the date before posting.

thanks for the reply.

cheers