PDA

View Full Version : Door not opening from outside

slimgeo
16-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi,
My rear passenger door will not open from the outside after unlocking the central locking system but after opening from the inside works fine until the car is locked again.
Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

esse_esse
17-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Guessing this is the same thread a son UKP

When you unlock the car are you pressing the unlock botton once?

If yes you need to press it twice sequentially

Post back if this don't work

P.S. if you have full MFD you should be able to change this it should be something like driver lock if you have half MFD you will need VAG.COM I'm afraid. Someone on here will have one if you don't and I'm susre they'll be more than happy to disable this option for you if you do not want it if not it is off to the dealers/independent garage I'm afraid

Can't post smilies so BIGUP lmao

NickPicks
17-08-2010, 12:14 PM
is it just one door, or all passenger doors. if all, then it may be the security locking. If it's just one, then it could be that the central locking motor is faulty, so it doesn't unlock until you pull on the inside handle, which unlocks it, solving the problem until you relock it.

You'll have to remove the door card to see what's happenning with the lock (you might have to remove the other side aswell to see what should actually be happenning)

Quatrelle
17-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Do a search. There a quite a few variations on this not-unlocking problem, and various solutions here.

g-black
17-08-2010, 09:31 PM
There is a very common fault with the door locks. My back door hasn't opened from the outside for about 6 months. You get used to it after a while!

There is a quick fix, lower the window and pull the I side handle and the outside handle at the same time. This will re-engage the latch that comes loose. Try it a couple of times as it doesn't usually work first go. If this fails, slam the door a couple of times, but put the window up for this as it's more secure.

Once you get it working again, assuming it's the latch that had coming loose, it won't be a permanent fix. Were the catch is slipping, it will have worn down and you will fond the problem becoming more frequent. Try to afford pulling the door handle when the door is closed and pulling both handles at the same time.

aristotle
01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Sincere thanks for the quick fix. It worked a treat first time :-)

Problem was with drivers door and only occurred after I asked my 9 year old to check if I'd locked the car. Naturally he pulled on the drivers door handle and you've guessed it, it then stopped working from the outside!

For reference it's a 2007 Passat Estate 2.0 TDI and problem had never occurred before.

PGW8000
15-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi
Just has the same problem with the front passenger door. The trick posted by NickPicks worked a treat!!
Many thanks

JimC64
15-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Guys, not sure on this, but it could be a possible, so maybe worth checking out?

My sons Renault Clio ( 2000 ) has just had a similar problem. The drivers door and boot would lock / inlock no problem, but the passenger door wouldn't:confused:
Listening intently to whichever door wouldn't lock / unlock as you click the fob showed that there was no noise coming from it......Ie - you can usually hear a click or smilar as the solenoid etc does its thing.
We took the door card off and replaced the solenoid and now all is good again:approve:

solenoid from the dealer was £70 and fitting would be approx £150, but we got a used unit from a scrappy £20 and a local bogit mechanic did the work for £20 so £40 all in.

Could this be your problem? Maybe even faulty connections?
Worthwhile looking into

Hope this helps :beerchug:

ytre
15-01-2011, 06:08 PM
:beerchug: Thanks to g-black for that quick fix, worked a treat but as you say it'll prob not last. not looking forward to taking that inner part off the door.

P Adams
17-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Both driver and passenger door outside handles not working over the weekend:aargh4:

Tried the window down and pull both handles trick and all is fine... for now!

I do pull on the outside handles when they are locked some evenings so this may not help matters

gosp200
18-01-2011, 03:24 PM
There is a very common fault with the door locks. My back door hasn't opened from the outside for about 6 months. You get used to it after a while!

There is a quick fix, lower the window and pull the I side handle and the outside handle at the same time. This will re-engage the latch that comes loose. Try it a couple of times as it doesn't usually work first go. If this fails, slam the door a couple of times, but put the window up for this as it's more secure.

Once you get it working again, assuming it's the latch that had coming loose, it won't be a permanent fix. Were the catch is slipping, it will have worn down and you will fond the problem becoming more frequent. Try to afford pulling the door handle when the door is closed and pulling both handles at the same time.

Thanks very much for this fix. Lowered windows and pulled levers at same time for 3 or 4 try's. this did not fix but then slammed the door 3 times and then tried the windows lowered again and suddenly i can open the door from the outside again.. Tar very much

gosp200
18-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Worked a treat. Lowered windows and pulled handles simultaneusly, a few times but didn't seem to work,so i slammed the door a few times with window up just in case it locked the window down. lowered windows again and tried the handles together and the door suddenly opened from the outside, Brilliant, saved a lot of money in the short term i.e £75 for diagnostics and a further £120/hr after 1st hr and with parts and labour on top. still can't get reardoor open though.

Many thanks g-black

hijamie
24-02-2011, 07:47 PM
hi all, have the same problem myself on the drivers door of a 06 passat tdi. When i lock the car the outside handle stops working and i have to open it from inside all the time. I have already took it apart and oiled up the lock to no avail. To get it working I use a punch and hammer, I tap the screws that hold the lock in place on the door edge. This seems to release it and it works fine until I lock it again and its back to square 1. I would reckon that the lock has wore a track inside which makes it stick as it is made of plastic. A new lock must be the answer. cheers hijamie